Quality of pre-season opposition.

1 hour ago, Owl 44 said:

Fulham played a near full strength Chelsea squad last week. 

They lost 8-2.

Would rather our lads have a good few run outs and build confidence than get slaughtered. 

If we played a premier league side pre season and lost by that many they'd be uproar on here with some demanding Carlos should go.

14 hours ago, East Suffolk Owl said:

Spot on my thoughts too.... Couldn't we have done some kind of tournament at Hillsborough invited a couple of minor European teams and possibly Doncaster or Rotherham and spread it over a week ...it would make far more sence..... 

and hammer the pitch before the season has even started?

14 hours ago, East Suffolk Owl said:

Spot on my thoughts too.... Couldn't we have done some kind of tournament at Hillsborough invited a couple of minor European teams and possibly Doncaster or Rotherham and spread it over a week ...it would make far more sence..... 

Think of the wear and tear on the pitch. The players would miss out on a bonding trip abroad which is good for morale. The logistics of sorting the tickets etc for supporters,policing costs etc etc it's far easier said than done and less beneficial than the pre season structure we are currently undertaking. Leave the planning of these things to the Pro's, CC knows what's best to prepare the players.

A few seem to have decided I want us to win every game 4-0.. I guess they didn't read anything i wrote. but hey ho.. that's how it goes on here.

The concern was purely that after 2 seasons of slow starts we've lined up a preseason schedule which seems built to not have us up to speed by the time the big games kick off.

4 minutes ago, ramone said:

Pre Season is all about minutes in the legs. Nothing more, nothing less. The sooner people realise this the better.

And when we have another slow start we'll all stand around wondering why and saying no one could have seen it coming.

The two seasons:
2015: Alfreton, Ilkeston, York City, Braga, Scunthorpe, St Mirren.

One decent team (but not British style) in Braga, surrounded by dross.

2016: Alfreton, Chesterfield, Benfica, CD Nacional, Port Vale.

One decent team (but not British style) in Benfica, surrounded by dross.

This season it's pretty much all dross.

The last season we had a good start was 2014/15 under Gray:

York (League Two)

Bury (League Two)
Arsenal Tula (Slovenian Premier)

Doncaster (League One)

Newcastle (Premier League)

Barnsley (just relegated from Championship)

Are we really saying that it's pure coincidence that when we have 'soft' preseasons we have slow starts?

25 minutes ago, cookeh said:

A few seem to have decided I want us to win every game 4-0.. I guess they didn't read anything i wrote. but hey ho.. that's how it goes on here.

The concern was purely that after 2 seasons of slow starts we've lined up a preseason schedule which seems built to not have us up to speed by the time the big games kick off.

Mate it really doesn't matter if we are playing man Utd or alfreton though because the players will be just strolling through ...its a workout.

15 minutes ago, cookeh said:

And when we have another slow start we'll all stand around wondering why and saying no one could have seen it coming.

The two seasons:
2015: Alfreton, Ilkeston, York City, Braga, Scunthorpe, St Mirren.

One decent team (but not British style) in Braga, surrounded by dross.

2016: Alfreton, Chesterfield, Benfica, CD Nacional, Port Vale.

One decent team (but not British style) in Benfica, surrounded by dross.

This season it's pretty much all dross.

The last season we had a good start was 2014/15 under Gray:

York (League Two)

Bury (League Two)
Arsenal Tula (Slovenian Premier)

Doncaster (League One)

Newcastle (Premier League)

Barnsley (just relegated from Championship)

Are we really saying that it's pure coincidence that when we have 'soft' preseasons we have slow starts?

Its irrelevant 

Edited by ramone

33 minutes ago, cookeh said:

It's all about fitness. The players wouldn't be competing at the top end of the championship if they couldnt turn a performance in. So let's say we play Man Utd, Liverpool or Barcelona....do you realistically think they would treat us as competition, put a side out to beat us and risk injury? It's all about having 90 minutes of football despite the opposition

amd slowly building up fitness.

Chill Winston

17 hours ago, East Suffolk Owl said:

Good idea that - few games at hillsborough or something, local, cheap, make it in to a carnival atmosphere or whatever ..

25 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Good idea that - few games at hillsborough or something, local, cheap, make it in to a carnival atmosphere or whatever ..

Yes we could have a local mini league and call it the County Cup, I'm surprised that it hasn't been thought of before.