Team - If we start with this squad

1 minute ago, sheffield_dave said:

And this is exactly the thinking that requires either a system change to accommodate or for Carlos to stop f*cking doing it.

Hutch, Lee and Bannan all starting in the same 442 - assuming Hutch isn't going to be considered a CB again - means Bannan plays wide left.

If I see Bannan on the left this season with FF, Reach or Boyd fit but on the bench then I want Carlos gone by the time I get home. 

That sh*t hasn't been cutting it and this is the season that will cost Carlos his job if he doesn't address some of this stuff. We NEED to put an end to those 3 all having to play if they're fit. 

We have to take Carlos at his word. He says FF will play mainly LW. He has also bought an extra quality winger who played 36/38 Prem matches last season.

No way will we see Bannan or Abdi left.

What would your 442 XI be for the Preston, QPR and Sunderland period?

31 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Most people would have spaffed their pants a couple of years ago at the possibility of that team turning out . 

The only obvious improvements would be a beast of a centre half that can play and a right back who can deliver cross after cross . 

And a left back that can defend

36 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Let's face it, if we consistently start with FF, Hooper and Rhodes we'll score loads of goals.

That's clear. 

And the play will be so much more of a pleasure to watch.

Westwood

Hunt

Lees

Hutchinson

Pudil

Boyd

Lee

Abdi

Forestieri

Hooper

Rhodes

Or

Westwood

Hunt

Loovens

Lees

Fox

Wallace

Hutchinson

Lee

Boyd

Hooper

Rhodes

I think the spine of the team should be Westwood, Lees, Lee, Hooper, Rhodes.

The rest are inter changeable. 

Joys of a big decent squad. 

Guest wilyfox

....................Westwood

Hunt......Lees.......Loovens.......Fox

Boyd......Lee........Bannan.....Reach

...........Rhodes....Forestieri

depending on HT score, Hooper to come on if we're chasing, or Hutchinson to consolidate. But, I don't think Loovens will be a starter come August. If he is, then we've failed on the centre-half front again. 

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

We have to take Carlos at his word. He says FF will play mainly LW. He has also bought an extra quality winger who played 36/38 Prem matches last season.

No way will we see Bannan or Abdi left.

What would your 442 XI be for the Preston, QPR and Sunderland period?

Yeah, I agree with you, but I was quoting a poster who suggested Hutch, Bannan and Lee WILL all play if they're all fit - a mentality I think we desperately need to get away from. 

A starting XI for those 3 games contains too many variables right now, such as is Hutch even going to be fit, who features how much in pre-season and how many of the CB's we want to sign we actually sign. Also a couple of wildcards such as will Reach play at LB to allow us to play FF down the left?

I can see us going Boyd - Lee - Bannan - Reach for Preston. But I also really like Abdi, and if he has a good pre-season and is up to speed, I'd be tempted to play him instead of Bannan. There's also the above question mark of if Reach plays at LB, if so, I guess I'd be looking at Boyd - Abdi - Lee - FF

3 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Yeah, I agree with you, but I was quoting a poster who suggested Hutch, Bannan and Lee WILL all play if they're all fit - a mentality I think we desperately need to get away from. 

A starting XI for those 3 games contains too many variables right now, such as is Hutch even going to be fit, who features how much in pre-season and how many of the CB's we want to sign we actually sign. Also a couple of wildcards such as will Reach play at LB to allow us to play FF down the left?

I can see us going Boyd - Lee - Bannan - Reach for Preston. But I also really like Abdi, and if he has a good pre-season and is up to speed, I'd be tempted to play him instead of Bannan. There's also the above question mark of if Reach plays at LB, if so, I guess I'd be looking at Boyd - Abdi - Lee - FF

Has abdi featured yet in pre season? 

Westwood

Hunt       Lees            Loovens        Fox

Boyd       Lee             Bannan          FF  

Hooper

Rhodes

The ones in bold are the ones I think we need replacements for in the starting XI to actually win promotion... I'm pushing to boat out with Fox but I reckon he'll come good this season, dunno why, just a hunch. Bannan and Lee just do not have enough bite in them to let us win promotion. Bannan can't defend and yet he likes coming deep, and Lee doesn't have enough physicality to play as isolated as he often does with Bannan playing in the squad. Plus his tendency to look for the "Hollywood ball" with our lack of height in the front 6 is pointless. I genuinely don't think Lee and Bannan can play in a midfield 2 in most games. If Lee were 3 inches taller and had an extra stone on him, it'd be fine, but playing with a central midfield pairing of Lee and Bannan is asking for trouble against physical teams. Cue Holmowl coming in and trying to argue otherwise... but a 5'7'' BB and a 5'10'' KL will not work over the course of a season if we want promotion. Have no argument that they're not good for a top 6/8 finish, but they won't give us more than that as we can't stamp our authority on a game with them there

Need a 6'+ CM to partner one of Lee or Bannan in the middle... and I'm opting to go with saying keep Lee knocking about because he can actually shoot.

Loovens will be an excellent 3rd/4th choice, but we need a 6'2''+CB to partner Lees at the back who has some younger legs than our Glenn. The more I think about it, the more I think Harlee Dean would be perfect... but we'll need someone in within the next week ideally so he and Lees can get to know each other in preparation for the 5th

3 minutes ago, OughtibridgeOwl said:

Has abdi featured yet in pre season? 

Which is why I said above about there being too many variables. 

It's so hard to call right now. I feel like our BEST midfield 4 on paper will probably be 2 or 3 players different from the one that starts on the pitch at Preston. 

2 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Which is why I said above about there being too many variables. 

It's so hard to call right now. I feel like our BEST midfield 4 on paper will probably be 2 or 3 players different from the one that starts on the pitch at Preston. 

I wasn't being funny it was a genuine question. I don't think I've seen him mentioned in any of our two games thus far

I like others really want to see Abdi do well and see him as a potential new signing.

not sure the reason why he hasn't been involved. People (myself included) that are saying he will be like a new signing with a full preseason under his belt. It doesn't look like he's going to have a full preseason unfortunately 

22 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

My worry is do we have the squad to suit Carlos's tactics ?

We don't know what they are yet.

Ok we know it's 442, and we know FF will be mainly left, so we know what the team looks like. But there's much we don't know will he encourage tempo or will we sit deep and retain possession at all cost?

4 minutes ago, OughtibridgeOwl said:

I wasn't being funny it was a genuine question. I don't think I've seen him mentioned in any of our two games thus far

I like others really want to see Abdi do well and see him as a potential new signing.

not sure the reason why he hasn't been involved. People (myself included) that are saying he will be like a new signing with a full preseason under his belt. It doesn't look like he's going to have a full preseason unfortunately 

I'm willing to bet my left nut Almen Abdi will play no more than a bit-part in a central midfield pairing in a 4-4-2.

I reckon fewer than a dozen league starts... though we may seem him wide left a couple of times? :rolleyes:

Playing him in a central midfield pair is like putting Matias wide left in a 4-4-2... it's nearly where they can play, but it's not quite and they lack some of the key attributes needed to excel in those roles. Not quite square pegs in round holes, more like oval in round

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

We have been told. It's 442. FF will play mainly wide.

We have three very winnable games to kick us off. If we start with the current squad, all fit except Hutch, who do you personally want to see playing those positions early season? 

Here's mine...

Westwood

Hunt Lees Loovens Reach

Boyd Bannan Lee FF

Rhodes Hooper

Difficult decisions over Fletch and Wallace for Hooper and Boyd. But that shows how strong competition for places will be.

Im hugely optimistic about the squad, the team, and our chances.

Reach will only play at left back in an emergency he and F2F will battle of our for the left sided midfield player.Fletcher and Hooper first choice forwards and will be rotated with the others vying for this position,Wallace and Boys will fill the right sided midfield and there's plenty of choice in centre midfield

29 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

....................Westwood

Hunt......Lees.......Loovens.......Fox

Boyd......Lee........Bannan.....Reach

...........Rhodes....Forestieri

depending on HT score, Hooper to come on if we're chasing, or Hutchinson to consolidate. But, I don't think Loovens will be a starter come August. If he is, then we've failed on the centre-half front again. 

Think this is very close to what we will see and obviously we all have our players that we like and don't like but I feel we have to be a little realistic in our lineups. eg Bannan is never going to be dropped by Carlos so it baffles me how people constantly leave him out. Think you have it spot on with the fact we will use players more wisley this season and not shoe horn them or play them for the sake of who they are. Hutchinson will be used more in away games I feel and probably Forestieri operating from the left in game at home we should win.

I still find it difficult coming up with a midfield that will be worthy of top two. 

At Preston I'd probably get Hutch to sit in midfield and tell Bannan to get forward more than we saw last season.  

Westwood 

Hunt         Lees           Loovens      Fox 

Boyd    Hutchinson   Bannan  Forestieri 

Hooper     Rhodes