Team - If we start with this squad

8 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Yep the midfield got steamrollered.

The back four and keeper  were magnificent and got us draw.

Personally I think Carlos turned it into 90 minutes of attack v defence by his tactics. But yes, all the front six, including my preferred Lee and a Bannan were dire.

But, looking forward, in the spirit of this thread, which set out the parameters very clearly...

FF left if playing

Preston, QPR, Sunderland only

What would your own preferred 442 be?

7 minutes ago, MuddyFunkster said:

There's going to be times this season where some of the Carlos favourites will need to be on the bench in order to get the right players in the right positions and the best out of the team. Bannan would be my main example there.

I like Bannan a lot, but when he has not played a league game for us, we have never lost a match (except the last game of the last 2 seasons, where Carlos rested practically everybody, including Bannan)

Edited by owlandished

11 minutes ago, ramone said:

Its laughable how many people think Adam Reach is a LB in the making. 

We only have three to pick from.

Do you think that Pudil or Fox got anywhere near nailing down the role last year?

I thought both were very inconsistent, ranging from some outstanding performances to some absolute horrors.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

We only have three to pick from.

Do you think that Pudil or Fox got anywhere near nailing down the role last year?

I thought both were very inconsistent, ranging from some outstanding performances to some absolute horrors.

Id have you left back over Adam Reach pal

Away to Preston:

....................Westwood

Hunt......Lees.......Loovens.......Fox

Boyd......Lee........Bannan.....Reach

...........Rhodes....Fletcher

2 home games:

Hunt......Lees.......Loovens.......Reach

Boyd......Lee........Bannan.....FF

...........Rhodes....Hooper

5 minutes ago, justamatteroftime said:
Away to Preston:

2 home games:

I'm not sure about changing the formation for home and away - do other successful teams do this?

15 minutes ago, lukestheman82 said:

This is it, we have a great squad, it just needs to be used properly. 

We really do. 

I honestly think we only need perhaps three more additions. 

Two center backs and perhaps something a bit different in midfield, but aside from that the squad is strong with plenty of depth and options. 

Personally I would be looking  to sell FF and use the cash to buy an athletic, hard tackling central midfield player and a quality centre back who strengthen the first 11 and play every week 

If we take the comments from the coach at face value about using him wide left then I only see problems ahead. Carlos will not play him wide left in many away games nor in games against the better teams. For those games he will be used as an impact sub.

FF will not be a happy camper and I don't see It leading to harmony at all in the dressing room nor good performances from the player

Sometimes a manager / club have to take hard decisions. Derby have just sold Ince and Hughes and are using the money to strengthen key areas and give themselves a better team while avoiding FFP issues.

If FF is worth 10 million like Ince then we don't have a good enough team to have that kind of asset not contributing full time to our promotion push .

It is just as important to sell players at the right time as well as buy them

2 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Personally I would be looking  to sell FF and use the cash to buy an athletic, hard tackling central midfield player and a quality centre back who strengthen the first 11 and play every week 

If we take the comments from the coach at face value about using him wide left then I only see problems ahead. Carlos will not play him wide left in many away games nor in games against the better teams. For those games he will be used as an impact sub.

FF will not be a happy camper and I don't see It leading to harmony at all in the dressing room nor good performances from the player

Sometimes a manager / club have to take hard decisions. Derby have just sold Ince and Hughes and are using the money to strengthen key areas and give themselves a better team while avoiding FFP issues.

If FF is worth 10 million like Ince then we don't have a good enough team to have that kind of asset not contributing full time to our promotion push .

It is just as important to sell players at the right time as well as buy them

So you've just made up a situation in your head. 

Ok. 

13 minutes ago, justamatteroftime said:
Away to Preston:

2 home games:

Makes total sense to me.

One thing I deliberately left out of my original post was the fact that I think Carlos may elect to leave Nando out for this one. I know Grayson has gone, but given that Nando was sent off in the only two games he has played v Preston I can see Carlos saving him for Tuesday night.

The last thing we want is history repeating itself, and Nando missing the early season matches.

Think Fox will get the LB slot this season, with Pudil covering there and maybe even being our 4th choice CB in the end.Not sure if it's good enough but Carlos must know this is his final go at it so you'd think he'd do whatever he has to.

We all know Bannan will always start and not sure that leaves any room for Hutch or Abdi as Lee will start usually too.Hutch could still end up CB.Hooper and Rhodes has to be a regular partnership.

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

We have been told. It's 442. FF will play mainly wide.

We have three very winnable games to kick us off. If we start with the current squad, all fit except Hutch, who do you personally want to see playing those positions early season? 

Here's mine...

Westwood

Hunt Lees Loovens Reach

Boyd Bannan Lee FF

Rhodes Hooper

Difficult decisions over Fletch and Wallace for Hooper and Boyd. But that shows how strong competition for places will be.

Im hugely optimistic about the squad, the team, and our chances.

Abdi for Bannan

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Reach has far more energy and speed than Pudil. Also, one huge benefit of playing FF wide is that the oppos full-back has to stay much deeper.

If you look at our record with FF left our goals against is remarkable.

He might do, but reach can't defend.

Reach and Forestieri didn't pin Mansfield full back yesterday, sorry but reach left back does not work defensively with ff in front

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

We have Preston away and QPR and Sunderland at home.

What would you pick in your 442?

I wouldn't worry too much about QPR at home as they will be there for the taking and need to be attacked. The other two I'd have Reach and Pudil on the left with FF on the bench ready to do some damage after an hour or so. This is what CC should have started with against Huddersfield at home in the playoffs

Edited by Stoop