Team - If we start with this squad

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

The defence IS NOT THE PROBLEM.

Where did I mention the defence?????

I said a midfielder with defensive qualities? 

The main problem is the formation because we don't play with attacking wingers, but I was commenting on playing   Lee and Bannan in the middle of 4-4-2 being too lightweight.

We should be changing the formation with the squad we have. 

1 minute ago, Think tank said:

The main problem is the formation because we don't play with attacking wingers, but I was commenting on playing   Lee and Bannan in the middle of 4-4-2 being too lightweight.

How can Lee and Bannan be too lightweight when we're not shipping goals?

Quiche salad and using up some dodgy looking strawberries. French dressing.

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

How can Lee and Bannan be too lightweight when we're not shipping goals?

Quiche salad and using up some dodgy looking strawberries. French dressing.

Because we lose control of the midfield too easily, which means we can't attack. Hutch being in there doesn't work when we have such conservative wingers.

The balance of our midfield is all wrong. Both legs of the Huddersfield game illustrated it perfectly. 

You look through this thread and everybody has a different opinion on the team and the formation. And there lies the problem.  Carlos doesn't know his best team, we don't know our best team and our midfield balance is wrong.  It looks like it's going to be 4-4-2 again but I really don't think it suits us. Hope to be proved wrong!

6 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

You look through this thread and everybody has a different opinion on the team and the formation. And there lies the problem.  Carlos doesn't know his best team, we don't know our best team and our midfield balance is wrong.  It looks like it's going to be 4-4-2 again but I really don't think it suits us. Hope to be proved wrong!

I'm not sure he has as many voices in his head as the 100 or so posts here. 

Most people have an idea of how they'd set up, with subtle variances depending on opposition, fitness and form.  

54 minutes ago, Think tank said:

Other than 2 CHs I think this is where we need to improve (in centre mid). Bazza sprays it around but not always great defensively, Hutch great defensively but maybe not box to box, KL box to box but not the same ability as a playmaker like Bazza or to win the ball like Hutch. 

Just now, No 2 is r nilsson said:

Other than 2 CHs I think this is where we need to improve (in centre mid). Bazza sprays it around but not always great defensively, Hutch great defensively but maybe not box to box, KL box to box but not the same ability as a playmaker like Bazza or to win the ball like Hutch. 

If we played a midfield 3 in a different formation, it would suit all the above 3 players and they would thrive. 

4 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

If we played a midfield 3 in a different formation, it would suit all the above 3 players and they would thrive. 

Yesterday Bazza and Jones did the holding role. Against a much better team I question whether these 2 would be powerful enough to control the middle.  Maybe Carlos is counting on Hoops, Boyd and Nando being a handful in front. 

Just now, No 2 is r nilsson said:

Yesterday Bazza and Jones did the holding role. Against a much better team I question whether these 2 would be powerful enough to control the middle.  Maybe Carlos is counting on Hoops, Boyd and Nando being a handful in front. 

If we are going with 4-4-2, I wonder whether we play Hutch and Lee in the centre and Bannan left midfield and possibly Reach left back. Reach can provide the width and Bannan could drop in if he makes forward runs.  I personally feel we need Hutch or a defensive midfielder in there as we are a bit soft as a team. I can't get excited with Lee and Bannan in the middle - we will get overrun and out-muscled in certain games.

8 hours ago, Holmowl said:

We have been told. It's 442. FF will play mainly wide.

We have three very winnable games to kick us off. If we start with the current squad, all fit except Hutch, who do you personally want to see playing those positions early season? 

Here's mine...

Westwood

Hunt Lees Loovens Reach

Boyd Bannan Lee FF

Rhodes Hooper

Difficult decisions over Fletch and Wallace for Hooper and Boyd. But that shows how strong competition for places will be.

Im hugely optimistic about the squad, the team, and our chances.

If we had a quick, physical CB such as Bartley then we may be able to do without a holding midfielder / destroyer. 

If the Huddleston rumours are true this adds physicality to the midfield. 

I'd switch FF and Boyd giving Reach support at LB and FF supporting Hunt. Also allows for earlier crosses which as we saw yesterday with Reach will lead to goals. 

If we could get 2-3m for Abdi to some Europa League team then I'd happily trade him in as just don't think he has physicality to handle middle of the park in a 2.

Tough on Bannan to drop out but his shooting is appalling. 

Lee and Huddston CM for me.. 

Edited by DuttyTeabags
Jungle

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

First game at Preston, if Hutch is unfit, it will Lee and Jones in the middle, absolutely no doubt about that, and most likely, Bannan wide left

I'd be the first to slit my wrists at this prospect. Shows zero progress on tactics from the turge of last year... 

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

First game at Preston, if Hutch is unfit, it will be Lee and Jones in the middle, absolutely no doubt about that, and most likely, Bannan wide left

So you're not taking Carlos at his word then Guru? 

Ever the little ray of sunshine aren't ya! :biggrin:

40 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

I'd be the first to slit my wrists at this prospect. Shows zero progress on tactics from the turge of last year... 

Can you see us going into the first game, a tricky away game, playing two wingers We will look to keep it tight, and hope to nick it by bringing on the big guns as Preston tire

Just now, gurujuan said:

Can you see us going into the first game, a tricky away game, playing two wingers We will look to keep it tight, and hope to nick it by bringing on the big guns as Preston tire

Attack, attack, attack. I'll take 4 3 win in every game this season! 

40 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

So you're not taking Carlos at his word then Guru? 

Ever the little ray of sunshine aren't ya! :biggrin:

Of course not, that was just one for the punters With the same personnel, we will always try and narrow the midfield in away games