Team - If we start with this squad

I'm sacking off the 4-4-2.

........................Westwood

Hunt..........Lees..........Loovens.........Reach

..................Jones.........Bannan

Boyd.................Hooper...................FF

.........................Rhodes

Subs - Wildsmith, Palmer, Pudil, Lee, Wallace, Fletcher, Winnall.

17 minutes ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Sorry but as the OP I am allowed to send you a mild electric shock for breaking the rules. 

Press your smiley face button and wait for 12v.

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

So you've just made up a situation in your head. 

Ok. 

Not made anything up

Just my opinion of what might happen and what I would do.

I like FF but I don't see him being happy sat on the bench, you might think he will be ecstatic to sit there and pick his money up

4 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Not made anything up

I like FF but I don't see him being happy sat on the bench, you might think he will be ecstatic to sit there and pick his money up

Will he be starting on the bench? 

I'm pretty sure Carlos will be putting him in the first XI most weeks. 

5 hours ago, Holmowl said:

We have been told. It's 442. FF will play mainly wide.

We have three very winnable games to kick us off. If we start with the current squad, all fit except Hutch, who do you personally want to see playing those positions early season? 

Here's mine...

Westwood

Hunt Lees Loovens Reach

Boyd Bannan Lee FF

Rhodes Hooper

Difficult decisions over Fletch and Wallace for Hooper and Boyd. But that shows how strong competition for places will be.

Im hugely optimistic about the squad, the team, and our chances.

Bannan and Lee in the middle? No way that will work, we will get completely dominated in there.

Can't  believe after two seasons under Carlos anyone can think that would be an effective pairing in a 4-4-2.

4 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Not made anything up

Seven of these will sit out every match:-

Abdi

Bannan

Lee

Jones

Hutch

Wallace

Reach

Boyd

Forestieri

Hooper

Rhodes

Fletcher

Winnall

That might ease if Reach plays LB and Hutch CB. Or worsen if Matias, Joao or Hirst break through.

If Carlos picks on the basis of form we should be in for a fabulous season. 13 excellent players killing themselves to earn and keep their place. 

Anyone who sulks or under-performs should miss out. 

FF has the ability to be undroppable. Whether he has the mentality this season will soon be seen. Lets hope so. 

4 minutes ago, Think tank said:

Bannan and Lee in the middle? No way that will work, we will get completely dominated in there.

Can't  believe after two seasons under Carlos anyone can think that would be an effective pairing in a 4-4-2.

Let me ask you the same question I have asked on many occasions, and still awaiting a decent answer.

List the matches where the Bannan-Lee CM pairing got completely dominated.

They have been paired around 25 times, so I assume you can provide quite a list.

Our 442 is deceptive. The same players supposedly in the same positions will play in one part of the pitch one game and another the next.

Here are some thoughts:

Our LB & RB can't defend so we should play 3 CBs to provide cover for them and give reach and hunt license to attack. Loovens ' legs won't allow him to play this system which needs him to be able to push opposition wingers to the by-line if the wing back is caught upfield.

Last season Hooper showed how important he is for joining up defence and attack and need a to start behind the CF.

Forestieri may be nominally left of midfield but will almost certainly play further infield with reach offering the width.

Rhodes is hitting the net in preseason and deserves a chance up front.

Starting line up. Call it a 343 but you could call it 352, 3421, it doesn't matter

GK - Westwood

RCB- Lees 

CB - Hutchinson 

LCB - Pudil

RWB- Hunt 

CM - Bannan

CM -Lee 

LWB - Reach

AM - Forestieri

SS - Hooper

CF - Rhodes

5 hours ago, Holmowl said:

We have been told. It's 442. FF will play mainly wide.

We have three very winnable games to kick us off. If we start with the current squad, all fit except Hutch, who do you personally want to see playing those positions early season? 

Here's mine...

Westwood

Hunt Lees Loovens Reach

Boyd Bannan Lee FF

Rhodes Hooper

Difficult decisions over Fletch and Wallace for Hooper and Boyd. But that shows how strong competition for places will be.

Im hugely optimistic about the squad, the team, and our chances.

Lacks height & pace all over the pitch

Too open defensively down the sides

These discussions highlight our desperate need for at least one and possibly two centre halves. The debate about the left back is interesting and frankly I'm not sure of the best selection for this position. In competitive matches I haven't been impressed by Fox, Pudil has been inconsistent and Reach is not the best defensively.

It may be that Carlos will select depending on the potential threat of the opposition down that side.

45 minutes ago, camffiti said:

Lacks height & pace all over the pitch

Too open defensively down the sides

What Xl would you want v Preston, QPR and Sunderland to cater for that?

57 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Let me ask you the same question I have asked on many occasions, and still awaiting a decent answer.

They have been paired around 25 times, so I assume you can provide quite a list.

I'd be interested to know how many goals we've conceded with Bannan and Lee playing together in a two. 

I thought they worked well together against Huddersfield away and there was no need to bring Hutch back for the second leg.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Do you think we can afford to play a central midfield pairing with no defensive qualities when most teams play 3 in there against us?

When we start to lose the midfield battle, Bannan is a man down and Lee is not renowned for his defensive qualities. We would be ridiculously lightweight.

The main problem is the 4-4-2 for me. 

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

What Xl would you want v Preston, QPR and Sunderland to cater for that?

It's difficult with the current squad. Especially in a 4-4-2. 

I personally think Fernando, Hutch & our midfield (possession) in general, works better in a 4-3-3

It allows Hutch to drop into a back 3 when needed. That in turn, allow Bannan to influence further up the pitch. It also takes pressure off Fernando tracking back to left back

The problem 4-3-3 presents though ... Can Rhodes & Hooper play in a front 3? Would we need to play Boyd & Fessi either side of one CF?

1 hour ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

This won't be far off. I thought Fletch looked ok yesterday and he might get ahead of JR. i like Reach at left wing back but he gets some stick on here. Thought he looked ok as well yesterday. 

16 minutes ago, Think tank said:

Do you think we can afford to play a central midfield pairing with no defensive qualities when most teams play 3 in there against us?

When we start to lose the midfield battle, Bannan is a man down and Lee is not renowned for his defensive qualities. We would be ridiculously lightweight.

The main problem is the 4-4-2 for me. 

The defence IS NOT THE PROBLEM.