Team - If we start with this squad

..............Westwood

Hunt......Lees.......Loovens.......Fox

Boyd......Lee........Abdi.....Reach

...........Rhodes....Hooper

Hard working with exciting options like FF on the bench to come on and terrorize after they've been ran ragged by Boyd, Lee, Reach and co. 

Abdi if fit fit to provide creativity and play Hooper and Rhodes in. 

Hutchinson's injury/fitness may make up CC's mind and therefore, it will have to be Bannan and Lee in the centre of midfield. 

Both the play off games against Hull and Huddersfield home leg prove we fail to compete with these two in the midfield without proper protection. Hutch ended up a bystander in the Huddersfield game and exposed this even further.

3 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

I still find it difficult coming up with a midfield that will be worthy of top two. 

At Preston I'd probably get Hutch to sit in midfield and tell Bannan to get forward more than we saw last season.  

Westwood 

Hunt         Lees           Loovens      Fox 

Boyd    Hutchinson   Bannan  Forestieri 

Hooper     Rhodes 

All our midfielders except David Jones are all suited to playing in a midfield 3. The midfield has a whole is not top 2 standard. I think Carlos is relying on going 4-4-2 with 2 hard working wingers and if he needs to change anything, he will bring FF on the left.

If we go 4-4-2 this season, which looks likely, I would be tempted to go with Jones and Lee in the centre.  You are leaving a lot of good players out but that would give us the right balance.

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:

..............Westwood

Hunt......Lees.......Loovens.......Fox

Boyd......Lee........Abdi.....Reach

...........Rhodes....Hooper

Hard working with exciting options like FF on the bench to come on and terrorize after they've been ran ragged by Boyd, Lee, Reach and co. 

Abdi if fit fit to provide creativity and play Hooper and Rhodes in. 

I agree about Abdi but i don't think CC will put him in the centre while Bannan and Lee are available.

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Though it never has, in about 40 games it played.

So has FF started 40 games wide left now? 

Or if we are referring to the central pairing it got steamrollered in the last game they played together.

2 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Too open on the left hand side. If forestieri is playing left wing then we have to play Pudil there. 

Reach has far more energy and speed than Pudil. Also, one huge benefit of playing FF wide is that the oppos full-back has to stay much deeper.

If you look at our record with FF left our goals against is remarkable.

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

So has FF started 40 games wide left now? 

Or if we are referring to the central pairing it got steamrollered in the last game they played together.

Sorry I see what you mean. I was referring to Bannan-Lee, not the two wide midfielders.

No FF has started 15 wide. We scored 35 and let in 13. So it was us that did the steam-rollering.

If you are referring to Lee-Bannan v Huddersfield, you think that was us getting steam-rollered? A nil-nil away to a side that got promoted. Where they barely got a clear chance?

Look at the record of Lee-Bannan as a central pairing. It will be an awful lot better than you imagine. 

9 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

All our midfielders except David Jones are all suited to playing in a midfield 3. The midfield has a whole is not top 2 standard. I think Carlos is relying on going 4-4-2 with 2 hard working wingers and if he needs to change anything, he will bring FF on the left.

If we go 4-4-2 this season, which looks likely, I would be tempted to go with Jones and Lee in the centre.  You are leaving a lot of good players out but that would give us the right balance.

Do you think Jones and Lee gives us the guile and ball retention to hurt sides enough? 

When we played two wide men, with Bannan pulling the strings, he did at least feed the ball wide, both left and right.

10 minutes ago, Animis said:

I agree about Abdi but i don't think CC will put him in the centre while Bannan and Lee are available.

I think it depends on other positions. If FF starts left, I'd be tempted to play Bannan central for his workrate rather than Abdi. 

Swap creativity and work rate around round with Reach and Abdi. Great to have options. 

Without wanting to sound like the OP I just hope we play 2 center mids, 2 wide players and 2 strikers. 

15 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Sorry I see what you mean. I was referring to Bannan-Lee, not the two wide midfielders.

No FF has started 15 wide. We scored 35 and let in 13. So it was us that did the steam-rollering.

If you are referring to Lee-Bannan v Huddersfield, you think that was us getting steam-rollered? A nil-nil away to a side that got promoted. Where they barely got a clear chance?

Look at the record of Lee-Bannan as a central pairing. It will be an awful lot better than you imagine. 

Yep the midfield got steamrollered.

The back four and keeper  were magnificent and got us draw.

There's going to be times this season where some of the Carlos favourites will need to be on the bench in order to get the right players in the right positions and the best out of the team. Bannan would be my main example there.

If you look at the teams that have been promoted playing 442 in last few seasons they tend to be very combative in CM and the pace, flair and goals come from wide players/up front.

We seem to be the opposite of this.

Carlos/whoever is directing recruitment has created a jigsaw that is proving difficult to piece together. Playing Bannan/Lee or Lee/Abdi in a midfield 2 against good sides isn't strong enough for me. Means we play very narrow and struggle to break quickly, hence our poor scoring record last season.

So IMO we need to a) change the system to a midfield 3 (not the shoehorned version that CC did last season) or b) sign players capable of playing in a 442 (e,g power in CM and pace out wide.