Team - If we start with this squad

22 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

I'd have to question the wisdom of leaving FF out of any starting XI.

But I don't mind 

Wallace or Boyd, Lee, Bannan, FF;  Jones and Hutch subbing in through Lee and Bannan to nail down the game and see out the win.

I also can't agree with the sentiment that Bannan can't shoot from outside the penalty area:  Bannan probably has the best shot from outside the box of the entire squad, and puts a few screamers a year (Bannan goals) towards goal when he decides to have a go.

I cannot agree to that mate haha.

Has the technique for sure and when he does score it is usually a screamer...but for all the times he scuffs it into the ground or takes too long and opts for a pass instead doesn't quite even it out!

Best outside the box striker of the ball has to be Wallace, after that probably Hooper & FF.

8 hours ago, MrEdwards said:

Our 442 is deceptive. The same players supposedly in the same positions will play in one part of the pitch one game and another the next.

Here are some thoughts:

Our LB & RB can't defend so we should play 3 CBs to provide cover for them and give reach and hunt license to attack. Loovens ' legs won't allow him to play this system which needs him to be able to push opposition wingers to the by-line if the wing back is caught upfield.

Last season Hooper showed how important he is for joining up defence and attack and need a to start behind the CF.

Forestieri may be nominally left of midfield but will almost certainly play further infield with reach offering the width.

Rhodes is hitting the net in preseason and deserves a chance up front.

Starting line up. Call it a 343 but you could call it 352, 3421, it doesn't matter

GK - Westwood

RCB- Lees 

CB - Hutchinson 

LCB - Pudil

RWB- Hunt 

CM - Bannan

CM -Lee 

LWB - Reach

AM - Forestieri

SS - Hooper

CF - Rhodes

What do you call that tactic and can I download it? lol

14 hours ago, Holmowl said:

We have been told. It's 442. FF will play mainly wide.

We have three very winnable games to kick us off. If we start with the current squad, all fit except Hutch, who do you personally want to see playing those positions early season? 

Here's mine...

Westwood

Hunt Lees Loovens Reach

Boyd Bannan Lee FF

Rhodes Hooper

Difficult decisions over Fletch and Wallace for Hooper and Boyd. But that shows how strong competition for places will be.

Im hugely optimistic about the squad, the team, and our chances.

I'd probably go with the same as thee, but maybe with Pudil instead of Reach. It's a cracking line-up at this level, especially when you think we'd have the likes of Felcher, Wallace, Reach, Abdi, Winnall etc available to come on.

Westwood

Hunt Lees Loovens Fox

Boyd Lee Abdi Forestieri

Rhodes Winnall

Out of all our players last season Winnall was the most prolific albeit for Barnsley. More likely to stay fit than Hooper and if these two click we can have a consistent partnership for most of the season. Think Fox will come on this season and would like to give him a chance to own that position

4 minutes ago, OutspokenTom said:

Westwood

Hunt Lees Loovens Fox

Boyd Lee Abdi Forestieri

Rhodes Winnall

Out of all our players last season Winnall was the most prolific albeit for Barnsley. More likely to stay fit than Hooper and if these two click we can have a consistent partnership for most of the season. Think Fox will come on this season and would like to give him a chance to own that position

I considered Fox at LB as well, and I hear what you're saying about Winnall, so I've got a lot of time for that line-up.

23 hours ago, Holmowl said:

But given that we have had it confirmed that it's 442 again (which is hardly a surprise after two seasons playing it), what 11 names would you personally put on your team sheet in August. 

Difficult indeed. Westwood and then Hunt Lees Loovens and either Pudil or Reach. If you pick Reach at the back then that means FF in front...if you pick Pudil then that means Reach in for FF which can't happen.

Midfield is a difficult one. I want to see Abdi in for Bannan...but it's not Abdi's favoured slot and he would need Hutch to do his dirty work.....which would mean KL making way....Personally, I think that if we are trying to shoe horn players in then KL could be good competition for Hunt at his natural left back position...Plus, it sounds like Boyd could also be useful in the middle and might prove to be competition for Hutchinson which would free up the right wing for Carlos stalwart 'Wallace'.

Up top it has to be Hooper and Rhodes.

i still don't think we have addressed the right back and Central defensive frailties...

again, i would like to see us play a different system (3-5-2)that dominates sides in the middle of the park and allows us to play our best players whilst protecting a back 3.

.....but what the flip do I know

I can't see a straight midfield two working in many away games Can understand the desire to look at Abdi in there, but even with Hutchinson alongside, I don't see that happening In a two, as Hutch plays very deep, and Abdi likes to play in behind the strikers It's not the 80s, the gap between the 2 of them would be too much, we'd get overrun

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I can't see a straight midfield two working in many away games Can understand the desire to look at Abdi in there, but even with Hutchinson alongside, I don't see that happening In a two, as Hutch plays very deep, and Abdi likes to play in behind the strikers It's not the 80s, the gap between the 2 of them would be too much, we'd get overrun

You say that but it's not really two us it?

Wallace and Reach or Boyd and FF tuck in as needed. That's how we did it in 15/16 and we didn't get overrun.

But we definitely need the balance of playing two wide men, rather than one and an extra CM via we get horribly lop sided

46 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

You say that but it's not really two us it?

Wallace and Reach or Boyd and FF tuck in as needed. That's how we did it in 15/16 and we didn't get overrun.

But we definitely need the balance of playing two wide men, rather than one and an extra CM via we get horribly lop sided

Often it was Bannan wide left in 16/16  Also, last year saw many more sides put the extra man in that area, and that's likely to continue It will become more difficult for our wide players to influence the game because they will have to help out the midfield more and more