Ground Hopping / Ground Map

think ive done about 40 grounds but quite a few of them have gone. 

Old show ground, scuny

Boothferry Park, Hull

McCain stadium, Scarboro

Roker park, Sunderland

Old Wembley

Millmoor, toytown

Donny's and Darlingtons too. 

I ended the 92 with a visit to Aldershot in 1984.  Went to Crawley last season to complete it again.

Got to find an excuse to go to Forest Green now.

Also not been to new Wimbledon.  Went to old Dons at Plough Lane and Selhurst Park.

Not been to AFC Newport's rugby union ground.  Went to Newport County's Somerton Park when they were in old Vauxhall Conference.

Been to see Brad City at Odsal stadium.  Rotherham at Don Valley.  Bradford Park Avenue in late 60's.  Scarboro v Wolves first league game.  Yeovil v Carlisle 1st lge game.

Must have 'done' 150 or more league grounds.  Can't be @rsed any more.  Also been to all Scottish Prem grounds at one time.

5 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

I ended the 92 with a visit to Aldershot in 1984.  Went to Crawley last season to complete it again.

Also not been to new Wimbledon.  Went to old Dons at Plough Lane and Selhurst Park.

Not been to AFC Newport's rugby union ground.  Went to Newport County's Somerton Park when they were in old Vauxhall Conference.

Been to see Brad City at Odsal stadium.  Rotherham at Don Valley.  Bradford Park Avenue in late 60's.  Scarboro v Wolves first league game.  Yeovil v Carlisle 1st lge game.

Must have 'done' 150 or more league grounds.  Can't be @rsed any more.  Also been to all Scottish Prem grounds at one time.

Great going that mate. 

Strange the last 25 years or so with all these new grounds replacing clubs traditional homes.

Seems funny that from just 3 local teams (Rotherham, Donny and Chesterfield) I have seen Wednesday playing away at 7 different grounds.

That wouldn't have seemed possible in the early 80s, neither would the fact that you could have been to 92 League clubs grounds but not have completed  the set of all clubs in the leagues. 

Just Shows how times change.

Best thread of the close season without a doubt.

Watched Wednesday at 147 different grounds including friendlies. 

Only ever watched one game that didn't involve us ......... a good mate , Cov lad ,  insisted I go to the 87 cup final with them .... hated it.

Often said we should have produced a book of our exploits following the Owls on the "Gate Coaches" of the 80's and 90's but unlike our neighbours, make it a factual account.

Too many true stories to be told without slipping into the realms of fantasy.

10 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

I've done around 75 watching Wednesday, but funnily enough also went to that Scarborough v Wolves game. First day of. The season, seaside town and 3pm kick off. And they send the biggest club in the league. It was mayhem. 

I am a member of the excellent website Football Ground Maps I have been to 163 Football grounds including 81 of the current 92.

Would estimate over 100 have been to watch Wednesday and the rest Non League grounds.

Also been to 16 Cricket grounds to watch first class games and a couple of Rugby League grounds.

On 06/07/2017 at 09:44, Geohay said:

When Wednesday aren't playing, I tend to try and get to as many non league games as I can. I've racked up a good amount of grounds now, up to 111. 

Anyone else like to do a bit of "Ground Hopping"

Also, which grounds are you going to be aiming for this year? I've not been to Stadium of Light,Riverside or the Pirrelli, so they're on my "hit list" for Wednesday away. 

Does anyone else use this website too, http://www.footballgroundmap.com 

Out of the "Most supported Teams" section, Wednesday are currently 7th, 400 fans behind L**ds, so it's worth signing up just for pride! Great website for tracking grounds though.

Map.JPG

You should enjoy the Stadium of Light, especially if both teams are flying at the time. It can be electric up there with it being completely enclosed.

By contrast, I only ever went to Roker Park once and was bitterly disappointed. A dull dull dull nil-nil with the famous Roker Roar being barely a whisper.

Some impressive numbers on here. I've done 56 of the current 92, all following the Owls. Like a few on here I've done loads that have now disappeared. I'd be interested to know about the most scary or the most difficult trip home. It took me about 20 hours to get home from a cup game in Southampton - a replay down there I think on a Tues night in 84. By the time I got to the station there were no trains to London so I made my way back on what were then called post trains I think. We went 1.0 up and then lost 1.5. The most scary was the league cup 2nd round replay at Maine Rd. I was about 13 on my own and chased up and down all the side streets outside the ground. I may as well have run back to Sheffield. There were a few scary crushes in the 80s as well. Outside Villa Park in 86 there were thousands of us crushed into a space enough for a few hundred. 

On 07/07/2017 at 07:00, vulva said:

I've done around 75 watching Wednesday, but funnily enough also went to that Scarborough v Wolves game. First day of. The season, seaside town and 3pm kick off. And they send the biggest club in the league. It was mayhem. 

Yes. I was on the grassy bank behind the goal with the home fans.  It was the day a Wolves crackpot climbed onto a stand roof and fell through it.  Thought he must have died, but he just broke both arms.  Police went to interview him in hospital later, but he'd already 'scarpered'.  2-2 draw.  Was my first sight of a young Steve Bull.  Think he scored two.

Reckon I must have been to over 75 grounds watching us.  First was 1960 Bramall Lane in that famous cup quarter final.  Last (so far) was the new Wembley v Hull City.  Been as far south as Plymouth to watch us, and as far north as Partick Thistle in a pre-season game. Seen a few games abroad, but not featuring us.

Wonder if there's a checklist somewhere.

I've been to places like Rushden (watching us), Dagenham, Bradford Park Ave, Southport, Wrexham, Boston Utd, Barnet, Chester(2 diff grounds), Darlington (2 diff), Hereford, Scarboro, Stockport, Torquay, York, Kidderminster, Morecambe(2 diff), Aldershot, Halifax, Macclesfield, Maidstone.    

Loads more.  All for league games.  Seen Millers at Millmoor, Don Valley, New York.   Must have seen league football on 175 or more league grounds.  Must have seen Owls on nearly 100 grounds, including friendlies etc.  Seen matches at nearly 20 Scottish league grounds.

Getting a bit fed up of travelling now.  But if we ever get to Arsenal or WHU new grounds, I'll be there!

I was once in a hotel in Torquay talking to a bloke who wasn't really interested in football.

In after dinner conversation, I was telling him about all the different football grounds I'd been to (All the 92 plus loads of others).

Bored, he just said...." You need to get out more often......"   then realised what he was saying.   :-)

PS   Think he would have said 'You need to get a girlfriend'  if my wife hadn't been there.

Edited by Lincs Owl