Almen Abdi

3 hours ago, island owl said:

Need to be more creative from Midfield and Abdi is the man, Carlos said he wanted more goals from Midfield so Abdi is the man. 

So Abdi it is then with Lee, Nando and Boyd

Or it could be Snodgrass, Abdi, Lee Boyd.

Thats as good a midfield as you will see at this level.

3 hours ago, Ian_D said:

He needs to be centre midfield alongside K Lee, drop Bannan who plays too deep. Play two proper wide men who should have quality full backs behind them. Rhodes and Hopper up front. New left centre half to match T Lees quality. And our brilliant keeper behind them all. Promotion sorted, you're welcome

Bannan played deep because Carlos told him to, which was a waste.

For two seasons running, we were reliant on Bannan and Lee playing almost every game, and only had Hutchinson and Lopez to offer an alternative.

If we had any mix of abdi and boyd, with hutch, Lee and Bannan, with hooper or winnall linking up Rhodes or fletcher, **** me that'd be very difficult to beat.

Wallace, Fernando and reach all to be included as well.

Can't see any room for Jones, melo, matias or joao in that squad. All of who may still be capable.

7 minutes ago, Thewaynesday said:

I liked it..... I wonder how it came about .... in my naive mind i would like to think he requested to do it after missing 90% of his first season with us to injury. Kind of an apology (even though an injury isn't anything to apologies for unless you're Leon Clarke ) 

He didn't miss 90% of the season through injury

He played in a quarter of the games and missed many through not being selected

He was ditched by Carlos early on and not even in the squad for weeks even without injury. 

I'm actually dreading the thought of us not using him again, I love Carlos but he has to change it up this time. He does remind me a bit of a Bergkamp type player, seemingly unimposing but his touch and footballing brain seem to be 2 or 3 steps ahead, we have to get the best out of him and that includes playing him in areas where he can cause the most damage. 

Edited by Owls2k

If Carlos did use him when fit last season, why are things going to be different this coming season? 

I just can't see him fitting in. All this talk of using different formations etc is just that. Talk. Carlos has very rarely used anything other than 442. 

I hope im very wrong as Abdi could and should be an important player for us. 

3 minutes ago, David1867 said:

If Carlos did use him when fit last season, why are things going to be different this coming season? 

I just can't see him fitting in. All this talk of using different formations etc is just that. Talk. Carlos has very rarely used anything other than 442. 

I hope im very wrong as Abdi could and should be an important player for us. 

Agree with all of the above. Some of our fans are expecting Carlos to change his approach and opinions on players from last season to this. All I can say is that they'll be very disappointed when we get to the end of September and realise nothing has changed! 

If we use Abdi to his strengths then we have probably the best creative MF player in the division

If CC wants to fart about again then lets let AA go and see what we can get for him

I'm sure Fulham will be delighted to take him off us - Jokanovic is a huge fan after he was Watford's best player for him in their promotion season

24 minutes ago, Ballmeist said:

Agree with all of the above. Some of our fans are expecting Carlos to change his approach and opinions on players from last season to this. All I can say is that they'll be very disappointed when we get to the end of September and realise nothing has changed! 

Like I've said, he will stand or fall by his decisions this year, failure isn't an option. If he doesn't change it and we are not promoted then he will be gone.

Abdi should be sold.

Cracking player at this level but the manager either never used him at all or never used him properly.

In the right system he's potentially the best creative midfielder in the division but if CC insists on stubbornly sticking to his rigid 4-4-2 with players out of position then why bother keeping him?

Might as well sell and use the funds to reinvest in a player Carlos will actually play.

Edited by Owl_in_Oz

8 hours ago, scram said:

If we use Abdi to his strengths then we have probably the best creative MF player in the division

If CC wants to fart about again then lets let AA go and see what we can get for him

I'm sure Fulham will be delighted to take him off us - Jokanovic is a huge fan after he was Watford's best player for him in their promotion season

Who would you pair him

with Scram? Or does he need to play in a 3?

I really hope he's going to be back fully fit and will get some game time in central midfield.

I think the Lee / Bannan pairing has run its course as first choice and we need something different.  Abdi could be it.  

10 hours ago, scram said:

He didn't miss 90% of the season through injury

He played in a quarter of the games and missed many through not being selected

Well thats disappointing because when he did play he was not very impressive .