Almen Abdi

6 minutes ago, torryowl said:

unless carlos has a radical rethink i don't see how he gets a place in the side ...

Same could easily be said for Rhodes...

But for many it's not the fault of Rhodes that he can't buy a goal - yet very little of the same goodwill for Abdi who is is similarly suffering for not being able to shine in a system that doesn't suit him

But it's not about Abdi - it's about the team doing the best they can and if the manager sees a system that doesn't have Abdi in it then as i said earlier - let him go and get what we can for him

5 minutes ago, island owl said:

You have to bear in mind that he was not fit for most of the season, then played out of position. Just need to play to his strengths . He will create and score goals 

He was played in a position that he'd played many times in the Premier League the season before. It may not be his best position as an individual player, but he should be more than capable of making an impact from wide midfield in the Championship. I wouldn't be surprised to see him feature out wide again next season, assuming he's over his injury issues...

1 minute ago, scram said:

But for many it's not the fault of Rhodes that he can't buy a goal - yet very little of the same goodwill for Abdi who is is similarly suffering for not being able to shine in a system that doesn't suit him

But it's not about Abdi - it's about the team doing the best they can and if the manager sees a system that doesn't have Abdi in it then as i said earlier - let him go and get what we can for him

Got to agree with Scram on this one... and you were so excited about the idea of him joining us!

I just can't see Abdi working in a midfield 2, and if we're going to persist with 4-4-2, it'd be a waste of his talent and our money to keep him here. He'd be wasted out wide and I can't help but feel not able to flourish in a central pairing. He's still got big wages and would demand a price tag of a couple of million... both of these could be used elsewhere in the squad. Pegs and holes spring to mind again...

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He was played in a position that he'd played many times in the Premier League the season before. It may not be his best position as an individual player, but he should be more than capable of making an impact from wide midfield in the Championship. I wouldn't be surprised to see him feature out wide again next season, assuming he's over his injury issues...

Dear god no :sad:

22 minutes ago, scram said:

he's a good player who if bannan did get injured could step in and maybe keep the position so i wouldn't be selling just yet .......

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

he's a good player who if bannan did get injured could step in and maybe keep the position so i wouldn't be selling just yet .......

He wouldnt keep the position from bannan, bannan was dropped at leeds last year for abdi and abdi was shocking and got dragged off at half time! Hes just not that good, we all wish he was but he isnt

Carlos needs to justify paying good the money for a player that was quality at Watford that we played good money for and then never got the best out of. Make or break for a lot of players and Carlos this year. Either find a system that suits our better players, or we need to find a manager that does. Pointless signing good players that don't fit into the philosophy the manager insists on. For me we either accommodate players like abdi Rhodes and FF or get rid and bring in people that fit what the manager is doing. 

29 minutes ago, chizumgeorge said:

He wouldnt keep the position from bannan, bannan was dropped at leeds last year for abdi and abdi was shocking and got dragged off at half time! Hes just not that good, we all wish he was but he isnt

he played well at forest when he had a free role ......he's a neat and tidy player when he's he's played, maybe in his best position he'll be more than that . i'll reserve judgement until he gets a run in his best position .

3 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Carlos needs to justify paying good the money for a player that was quality at Watford that we played good money for and then never got the best out of. Make or break for a lot of players and Carlos this year. Either find a system that suits our better players, or we need to find a manager that does. Pointless signing good players that don't fit into the philosophy the manager insists on. For me we either accommodate players like abdi Rhodes and FF or get rid and bring in people that fit what the manager is doing. 

we need a squad of good players and to have that some good players are going to be sat on the bench , who would you rather have coming on the 3 you mentioned or someone like  big dave ,matias,or melo .

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

he played well at forest when he had a free role ......he's a neat and tidy player when he's he's played, maybe in his best position he'll be more than that . i'll reserve judgement until he gets a run in his best position .

Agree with this, and i think some of the comments on here are harsh. I remember away at Stoke watching Hoops miss a sitter early on and wondered why Carlos had so much faith in him. He was given some time, got fit and he's now one of the first on the sheet. We've seen enough of Abdi to know there's a class player if allowed to find his feet. Away at Forest I think he showed a sort of control and creativity that no other player has - including Bazza (who I really like). Give him time and he'll be a great asset this season. 

21 hours ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

It will be difficult to be raring to go from the bench or reserves

I just cannot see how he fits into CCs plans

Agreed, we haven't played anything but 442 or slight variations of that under CC's 2 year spell, unless he makes drastic formation/tactical changes we will never see the best of players like Abdi.

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

Yes he did, but how poor were forest last season, against a good strong midfield like leeds for instance hes not at the races , and players walk past him. Dont get me wrong i'd love him to come good but i just dont think his work rate is there

8 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He's good enough to play there in the Premier League, but not for us?

I know Watford fans thought he looked a shadow of himself out wide when compared with the centre. Maybe he is good enough and adaptable enough to play out there, but he looked wasted when he was. How much of that was injury and how much that was of him just not having the attributes to thrive there remains to be seen. One thing's for certain, he won't be beating a fullback for pace, getting to the byline and sticking the ball in that's for certain... something that we've been crying out for as an option out wide

He doesn't thrive out wide - and when he played there in the premier it was a more disciplined "hold position"kind of role under Flores. He did a job but his attributes somewhat stifled

He is however an awesome attacking CM especially in a 3 - was Watford's best player there in the system - definitely one of the best players i've seen at this level