Almen Abdi

Just now, stanningtonowl said:

I think it's all pie on the sky. Who is Carlos going to drop? Bannon, Lee, Hutch?. The only one dropped will be Wallace for Boyd if he does sign. And then only after Xmas when Boyd has learnt to play the Carlos way. Backwards. 

Bang on the money .

Is he good enough to build a promotion winning side around? 

I would like to see Abdi integrated into CC's favoured 442; so far (attacking wise)

Boyd    Abdi    Lee     Reach

FF

Hooper/Rhodes

CC won't variate from 442, so this is what i'd like to see us play, both Reach/Boyd are hard workers and suit the 442 formation very very well, hopefully Reach will have a stronger season than last and Boyd is an upgrade on Wallace so we already look better. We have to try something new at the expensive of dropping a big name like Bannan, Hutchinson, Rhodes, Fletcher, Wallace maybe even Lee or FF.

Edited by Lionel Fessi

35 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Is he good enough to build a promotion winning side around? 

I would like to see Abdi integrated into CC's favoured 442; so far (attacking wise)

Boyd    Abdi    Lee     Reach

FF

Hooper/Rhodes

CC won't variate from 442, so this is what i'd like to see us play, both Reach/Boyd are hard workers and suit the 442 formation very very well, hopefully Reach will have a stronger season than last and Boyd is an upgrade on Wallace so we already look better. We have to try something new at the expensive of dropping a big name like Bannan, Hutchinson, Rhodes, Fletcher, Wallace maybe even Lee or FF.

Your last sentence is gong to be the hardest part for CC with regards to FF, Lee, Bannan and Hutch.  I just don't see it happening and it will likely cost him in the end.

Abdi can thrive here - but it won't be under CC

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

On 02/07/2017 at 16:30, Lionel Fessi said:

we haven't played anything but 442 or slight variations of that under CC's 2 year spell

We have. We played mostly 433 for the first few months after he arrived. He only switched to 442 after that run of 6 games without a win.

On 01/07/2017 at 17:40, owls101 said:

Where does/should CC fit him in? Can he play CM in proper 442? Does signing of boyd help or hinder abdi? 

He's a help. As a central player you always want willing runners out wide as they give you options and make more space in the middle by pulling players with them when they go. Boyd is certainly a willing runner, where as Wallace tends to come inside and hold possession looking for an overlap from the fullback. So Boyd's a plus, I'm pretty sure.

On 7/2/2017 at 09:39, scram said:

I'd prefer him in a 3 - i'd prefer the flexibility that a 3 or 5 midfield gives tbh

You're leaving out Rhodes or Hooper if thats the case. Personally, I'd like to see that strike partnership develop as it could fire us to promotion on its own...

I'd like to see Abdi get a fair crack at it but if he doesn't fit he doesn't fit... 

2 hours ago, cookeh said:

He's a help. As a central player you always want willing runners out wide as they give you options and make more space in the middle by pulling players with them when they go. Boyd is certainly a willing runner, where as Wallace tends to come inside and hold possession looking for an overlap from the fullback. So Boyd's a plus, I'm pretty sure.

I think Wallace was told to come inside for a reason e.g to give us more protection in CM. I think you make some good points but just can't  see CC playing AA in a conventional midfield 2, in which case where does he play him?

A fit and on form Abdi is a better all round footballer than a fit and on form Bannan for me and I love Bannan.

The question of who to drop to get a player like Abdi in the squad is why I think we should be playing 3 at the back. To fit a Hooper and Rhodes partnership up front with a Lee plus Abdi or Bannan midfield is only going to work if we have a Hutch or Jones behind them I think unless Bannan sits deep but then we can get overrun.

Lets not forget though we're all now debating we we think should be dropped to get more talented players in rather than two years ago when we didn't have anoyone to put in the 11 in the first place

3 minutes ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Abdi in a midfield 5 playing slightly advanced ??

FF Bannan Abdi Lee Boyd.

Possibly could work and play to his strengths, although it only works if we switch to a 3-5-2.

I agree but you're not having FF as a wing back surely? Would have to be Reach on the left wouldn't it?

Until CC realises that he shouldn't have favourites and the best / on form players should be in the team week in week out, and in their best positions, then we will not get the best out of any of the players.

this needs a totally rethink by CC which obviously all the people that wanted him to stay as manager think is possible, I am just hoping that it is or at least automatic will be gone before Chrismas

3 hours ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

I agree but you're not having FF as a wing back surely? Would have to be Reach on the left wouldn't it?

All this wing back mularkey !!!! Seen so many posts about it. FF does track back and puts a real shift in, as does Boyd. Personally, both have high energy and could do the wide man job pretty well. I am aware that my view is going to be in the minority, but I take your point. If Reach dies play wide left, then FF up top, where I think he is not as effective.

4 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

All this wing back mularkey !!!! Seen so many posts about it. FF does track back and puts a real shift in, as does Boyd. Personally, both have high energy and could do the wide man job pretty well. I am aware that my view is going to be in the minority, but I take your point. If Reach dies play wide left, then FF up top, where I think he is not as effective.

Fair enough. I've always been of the opinion that FF does track back but only when he has either lost the ball or when he feels he can nick the ball from behind but those quick flashy chase backs mask a lot of the times he just doesn't bother.

10 hours ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

A fit and on form Abdi is a better all round footballer than a fit and on form Bannan for me and I love Bannan.

The question of who to drop to get a player like Abdi in the squad is why I think we should be playing 3 at the back. To fit a Hooper and Rhodes partnership up front with a Lee plus Abdi or Bannan midfield is only going to work if we have a Hutch or Jones behind them I think unless Bannan sits deep but then we can get overrun.

Lets not forget though we're all now debating we we think should be dropped to get more talented players in rather than two years ago when we didn't have anoyone to put in the 11 in the first place

A fully fit and on form Abdi is possibly the best player in our squad.

if I were CC, if build my team around him.