3-5-2

Guest Arnold

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Well yes' but at the moment, Wallace and Forestieri play wide, and they are by far our most creative players Where would they fit in such a system

It would be more of a 3412 than 352 so Forestieri/Abdi would play behind. I think I've posted this before

Westwood

Hutchinson

Lees

Loovens

Hunt

Lee

Bannan

Reach

Forestieri

Hooper

Rhodes

Would need a new CB, RWB, CM.

39 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

The wingback system isn't solely reliant on putting crosses into the box. Less so than 4-4-2 if anything.

If Carlos wants to try it. I am up for seeing how he is going to make it work.

No that's my take on it If Carlos wants to try it, and it delivers more entertainment, then maybe give it a go. Personally, if we played the way we played last season, my trips to Sheffield would become more sporadic It was friggin boring

I don't see how it wouldn't work.

Westwood

?/Hutch               Lees               Loovens

Hunt/?           Bannan/Lee         Hutch/?            Reach

Fessi

Hooper             Rhodes

New signings will be needed. Back ups will be needed. I dont see why not.:manager:

39 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Westwood 

Lees.     NEW.   Loovens 

Hunt.                                Pudil/Reach

Hutch

Lee.        Bannan/Abdi

Then FF plus 1 up top. 

Wouldnt mind seeing that tbh.

FF plus 1 NEW up top, yeah baby

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

So using our existing players, I know we will be bringing others in, but as of now, they are unknown, we could line up like this

Westwood

Hutchinson

Lees

Loovens

Hunt

Lee

Abdi

Bannan

Reach

Forestieri

Hooper

Not sure about the front two, both are not out and out front men. even in this system I think we still need a player to disrupt opposing defences.

53 minutes ago, WayneTheOwl said:

3-5-2 would be a shambles IMO with the current team.

We have 4 wing backs and not a single one of them can provide a decent cross (bar the rare one from Hunt). I can't see any new ones coming in these positions so for me this a no no.

Overall though it seems to put more round pegs in round holes than 4-4-2.  

Our strengths all seem to be centrally:

- got lots of good centre mids to pick from and 3-5-2 would mean we could start 3 of them without having to stick one on the wing

- we've got lots of good strikers and this way can play two of them at all times without having to compromise midfield numbers

- our centre backs are solid and should be the basis of our defence

Not sure we have the players to play 352. We have bought all these forwards and only Fletcher might be the right fit up front with Hooper. I have always thought we could do with a strong mobile lad up front to disrupt defences and hold the ball up, something we have not got. It would need us to buy 4/5 players to make this work let hope our recruitment is better this summer.

5 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

If we play with 3 at the back, Hutchinson will play in the middle of the back 3. I've no doubt about that.  

Disagree, I think the central birth would be for Loovens.  He was suspect when dragged out wide and having to defend 1-on-1 last season (look at the equaliser we conceded in the second leg of the play offs for an optimum example) but in the centre of a 3 his experience and positional sense could be used to sweep up behind two more combative defenders and his lack of pace wouldn't be exposed.

2 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Ive been saying for ages that 3-5-2 gets us our best players in their best positions.

Hutch at CB with Lees and Loovens.

Hunt and Reach at wing backs.

Lee and Bannan in the middle.

Hooper behind FF and Rhodes

I think I've said this exactly a thousand times last year. So yeah can't agree more. 

17 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

Disagree, I think the central birth would be for Loovens.  He was suspect when dragged out wide and having to defend 1-on-1 last season (look at the equaliser we conceded in the second leg of the play offs for an optimum example) but in the centre of a 3 his experience and positional sense could be used to sweep up behind two more combative defenders and his lack of pace wouldn't be exposed.

I disagree. Don't think Loovens will be first choice anyway even though I have been a big fan of him.

To play a defensive 3 system, your ball player needs to be in the middle. The 2 teams in european football you play this system excellently are Antonio Conte's previous and current teams - Juve and Chelsea. Bonucci and David Luiz play the roles and are both excellent distributors of the ball. They are the ones to bring the ball out of defence and to make those long diagonal balls to set up the attacks.  I have no doubt Hutch could play this role brilliantly - is tailor made for him.

If we go to this system, I think Carlos will bring in a left sided centre half to be first choice and also another centre back for cover.

I am not a fan of this formation, often can end up being a 5 man defence. Considering our negative set up at times last season would make me nervous. 

That said, I can see the thinking, we have players who would naturally fit the wing back slots in Hunt and Reach and would allow us to play the thee CM's that Carlos tried to shoe horn into a 442 most of last season. Mindset has to change though, we must start on the front foot and control possession higher up the field.

3 minutes ago, striker said:

I am not a fan of this formation, often can end up being a 5 man defence. Considering our negative set up at times last season would make me nervous. 

That said, I can see the thinking, we have players who would naturally fit the wing back slots in Hunt and Reach and would allow us to play the thee CM's that Carlos tried to shoe horn into a 442 most of last season. Mindset has to change though, we must start on the front foot and control possession higher up the field.

We wouldn't have the great big gap in the centre of our midfield with no one in it with this formation either.