3-5-2

Guest Arnold

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

So using our existing players, I know we will be bringing others in, but as of now, they are unknown, we could line up like this

Westwood

Hutchinson

Lees

Loovens

Hunt

Lee

Abdi

Bannan

Reach

Forestieri

Hooper

Interestingly, Carlos has hinted that the 4/5 new signings will be for the starting eleven, and not necessarily squad players. So who are the players from the above team who might be vulnerable?

Guest Arnold
1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Interestingly, Carlos has hinted that the 4/5 new signings will be for the starting eleven, and not necessarily squad players. So who are the players from the above team who might be vulnerable?

Some may leave. I can't see us signing 4/5 starting players. Would completely change the squad. 

Guest Arnold
2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Possible two new starting CBs along side lees and 1 starting CM

19 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

So using our existing players, I know we will be bringing others in, but as of now, they are unknown, we could line up like this

Westwood

Hutchinson

Lees

Loovens

Hunt

Lee

Abdi

Bannan

Reach

Forestieri

Hooper

Don't know how they'd cope with the defensive aspect of the system but one thing is for sure, they would be the best ball retaining midfield in the Championship.  I personally think Abdi and Bannan would be competing for the same spot, because I think the other midfielder has to be a ball winner with legs to get up and down and across the park to help the wing backs. In this formation, FF is likely to be a non starter as he was for Watford.

Westwood

Lees

Hutchinson

Loovens

Hunt

Lee

Abdi

TBC

Reach

Hooper

Rhodes

38 minutes ago, Arnold said:

Some may leave. I can't see us signing 4/5 starting players. Would completely change the squad. 

No and the winger bit threw me, there's no way we would start a direct winger in either system, so that would be one for the bench. A couple of centre backs, and a midfield player were the other ones mentioned, so maybe just one more position to change A wing back?

39 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

Don't know how they'd cope with the defensive aspect of the system but one thing is for sure, they would be the best ball retaining midfield in the Championship.  I personally think Abdi and Bannan would be competing for the same spot, because I think the other midfielder has to be a ball winner with legs to get up and down and across the park to help the wing backs. In this formation, FF is likely to be a non starter as he was for Watford.

Westwood

Lees

Hutchinson

Loovens

Hunt

Lee

Abdi

TBC

Reach

Hooper

Rhodes

I think it could be something like this yes, but I certainly wouldn't omit Forestieri for Rhodes, well not on a regular basis anyway

Let's go In like Argentina.

Westwood 

Lees       Loovens

Lee    Hutchinson    Bannan

Matias     Abdi     Hooper      Forestieri 

Rhodes 

Guest Arnold

Seen a couple of people put Matias in the starting lineup. Not for me, he's done nothing but that goal at Leeds. 

Edited by Arnold

22 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We could certainly upgrade on Hunt at RWB.

Also I'd only see Loovens being able to play in the middle of the back three, reading the game and letting Lees/New CB going out to close down and challenge the opposition forwards.

36 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Ive been saying for ages that 3-5-2 gets us our best players in their best positions.

Hutch at CB with Lees and Loovens.

Hunt and Reach at wing backs.

Lee and Bannan in the middle.

Hooper behind FF and Rhodes

All opinions but I don't agree that is our best line up. Our best line up (imo) involves Abdi att mid and FF wide.

By playing Hutch in midfield we naturally play with three at the back anyway as he plays so deep. Although the formation on paper appears 442 it in effect could be 532/352. With the return to fitness of Hooper and Lee I think we saw your formation 352 and players actually playing more or less in those positions. Ok there were one or two exceptions player wise  (Fletcher, Pudil and Wallace) but arguably your formation brought us our best displays. Did CC set us up so we naturally changed formations during the game? I tend to think Hooper being injured sort of un-workable our all game plan up and we reverted to picking square pegs in round holes and we lost all  that interchangeability.

Westwood

Lees New New

Hunt                                  Hutch                                Pudil

New                        Lee

FF 

Hooper

Would only work in this in my opinion. Which is never gonna happen, too many strikers to only use hooper. 

39 minutes ago, WayneTheOwl said:

3-5-2 would be a shambles IMO with the current team.

We have 4 wing backs and not a single one of them can provide a decent cross (bar the rare one from Hunt). I can't see any new ones coming in these positions so for me this a no no.

For the same reasons, I too am out

1 minute ago, WayneTheOwl said:

We have 4 wing backs and not a single one of them can provide a decent cross (bar the rare one from Hunt). I can't see any new ones coming in these positions so for me this a no no.

It would be the prefect system for us. 

Reach and Hunt would be ideal as wing backs even if we didn't bring in replacements. They would both make much better wing backs than fullbacks in a back four as neither of them can defend well. 

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

So Reach and Hunt can defend well in a back 4 but are rubbish going forward? Surely their strengths are energy and pace needed for wing backs? Neither are known for their defensive prowess. 

38 minutes ago, SBOwl said:

So Reach and Hunt can defend well in a back 4 but are rubbish going forward? Surely their strengths are energy and pace needed for wing backs? Neither are known for their defensive prowess. 

They are barely adequate for either system

17 minutes ago, WayneTheOwl said:

15 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The wingback system isn't solely reliant on putting crosses into the box. Less so than 4-4-2 if anything.

If Carlos wants to try it. I am up for seeing how he is going to make it work.