3-5-2

Guest Arnold

1 minute ago, agentwalker said:

Not sure about 352 either. Don't know why but I'm watching the Huddersfield game  :( and when in possession we are basically playing that formation and it's not working.

The main issue I can see is lees and glen and hutch drop and hunt and pudil push really high up to the half way line and stand their. No movement at all. This basically takes them out of the game as a passing option, and our build up play was none existent.

If we do go 352 Carlos better get his tactic book out and learn how to do it.

Thats my point tho - you may as well play 3-5-2 with proper convenional midfielders in the middle 3 instead of Reach/Wallace tucking in. Hunt/Reach would both suit the wing back role.

If we keep 4-4-2, I would rather we totally re-vamp our midfield and bring in 2 hard/strong players in the middle and bring in a couple of fast wingers. 

3 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Give it a rest eh?

We've heard you.

Yeah, you'll keep hearing it from me but Carlos is the one who counts, and he looks as if he feels the same way, so you'd better get used to it

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yeah, you'll keep hearing it from me but Carlos is the one who counts, and he looks as if he feels the same way, so you'd better get used to it

I thought the coach should go at the end of the last season.

Read any of Holmowls posts to see why.

We are looking at a new season now and he's still here...So I will be right behind him and ALL of his retained players.

I totally understand that you think Rhodes is an expensive mistake. Why do you have to keep drilling home this point?

I've told you before ( You didn't disagree) that the time to judge him will be at the end of next season.

22 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

I thought the coach should go at the end of the last season.

Read any of Holmowls posts to see why.

We are looking at a new season now and he's still here...So I will be right behind him and ALL of his retained players.

I totally understand that you think Rhodes is an expensive mistake. Why do you have to keep drilling home this point?

I've told you before ( You didn't disagree) that the time to judge him will be at the end of next season.

Yeah we seem to be on a different page regarding Rhodes, but as you say, next season will hopefully bring a new approach If we can find a way to harness the talents of Jordan Rhodes, then I will be delighted For me though, it cannot be at the expense of the team You yourself were concerned that we were shackled last season, due to Carlos attempting to shoehorn in his favourites That didn't really work, so I wouldn't want to see us try to do the same with Rhodes, or any other player for that matter Pretty sure we agree, it has to be round pegs in round holes

Edited by gurujuan

19 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

Not sure about 352 either. Don't know why but I'm watching the Huddersfield game  :( and when in possession we are basically playing that formation and it's not working.

The main issue I can see is lees and glen and hutch drop and hunt and pudil push really high up to the half way line and stand their. No movement at all. This basically takes them out of the game as a passing option, and our build up play was none existent.

If we do go 352 Carlos better get his tactic book out and learn how to do it.

Bingo. I thought I was going daft, why couldn't anyone else see this? 352 is what we often do now.

I mentioned this on another thread. When 352 was in vogue in the early 90's the 451/433 formation brought about its downfall. If you were to plot the positions of both formations on a tactics board up against each other you can see where the 451/433 gains the advantage. Basically most players in both formations cancel each other out apart from in the 352 you are left with two spare centre halves. The two spare players in the 451/433 are the full backs. With most fullbacks in a 451/433 being like wingers you can see why the 352 was pulled apart down the flanks. 

I was into such stuff years ago but wouldn't have a clue nowadays so how has the 352 overcome this obvious draw back when up against 451/433? Are teams actually playing 352 or is it more 343 or summat else?

19 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yeah we seem to be on a different page regarding Rhodes, but as you say, next season will hopefully bring a new approach If we can find a way to harness the talents of Jordan Rhodes, then I will be delighted For me though, it cannot be at the expense of the team You yourself were concerned that we were shackled last season, due to Carlos attempting to shoehorn in his favourites That didn't really work, so I wouldn't want to see us try to do the same with Rhodes, or any other player for that matter Pretty sure we agree, it has to be round pegs in round holes

What if he shoehorns in his favourites in 352?

442 or 352, with our best players in their best positions, and either will be excellent.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

The rumors are not secret, but they are unsubstantiated.

Unless you know otherwise, nobody has ever found any article or interview where he says this.

Does there need to be?

You've watched the team this season, right? How many times has Forrestieri played down the left this season? Especially in games where he's not but someone other than Reach has? Like the small matter of the play-off semi.. 

But, as I say, that's immaterial. He does play centrally for us and 3-5-2 would allow him to do so behind strikers such as Hooper and Rhodes. What's the issue with that? Do you not agree that would potentially be FF's best position for us?

2 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Does there need to be?

You've watched the team this season, right? How many times has Forrestieri played down the left this season? Especially in games where he's not but someone other than Reach has? Like the small matter of the play-off semi.. 

But, as I say, that's immaterial. He does play centrally for us and 3-5-2 would allow him to do so behind strikers such as Hooper and Rhodes. What's the issue with that? Do you not agree that would potentially be FF's best position for us?

Not a clue if it would be his best position. We haven't seen him there.

We have seen him LW, and he is staggeringly good, and helps the team score freely and win playing exciting football.

I know this, our tactics will be irellevant if we continue to afford lesser teams too much respect. Admittedly, there are no easy games in this division but time and again last season we handed the initiative to lesser teams by being overly cautious and downright negative, we absolutely must stamp our authority on games whenever possible.

I don't care what formation we play so long as we do it without players playing out of position.

3 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

3-5-2 makes a ton of sense for us.

• Allows us to play Forrestieri centrally - where he wants to be - while still retaining a front 2 from Fletcher, Rhodes, Winnall and Hooper
  • Negates our current need for wingers, our most expensive current problem to fix
  • Negates any question mark over the fullbacks, arguably another position we would need to strengthen if we stuck to 4-4-2
  • Potentially gives a new lease of life to players we already have, particularly Reach and Abdi 

We've seemed stuck and restricted by a 4-4-2 this season that has left us short of ideas. We need 4 top quality first team signings regardless of if we play 4-4-2 or 3-5-2, but for me the latter would certainly be more exciting and would give us more options and benefits to players already here.

Sign 2x new CB's, a dominating midfielder and a right wing back.

GK: Westwood / Wildsmith

CB: NEW / Hutch

CB: Lees / Loovens

CB: NEW / Pudil

RWB: NEW / Hunt

LWB: Reach / Fox

CM: NEW / Jones

CM: Lee / Bannan

AM: Forrestieri / Abdi

ST: Rhodes / Winnall

ST: Hooper / Fletcher 

For me our options around those 6 forward players is outrageous for this league and 3-5-2 is the system that solves any problems we have fitting them in or getting the best out of them. Sign the right players behind them and 3-5-2 suddenly seems obvious to me. 

I agree, apart from what I've changed in bold

Guest Arnold
1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Forestieri has said in an interview with the Sheffield Telegraph, that he prefers to play in the hole

I've never seen that.