3-5-2

Guest Arnold

I'm a big fan 3-5-2, assuming of course we have the right players to suit the system. It's actually a much more effective and safer sysem than 4-4-2, as the attacking full-backs can not only sit naturally higher, they have the backup of three central defenders. Depending on the threat, one CD can either step up (stopper), if the FB's have come back in line, or drop back and sweep. Also, with an extra man at the back, there is already 50% more cover for any roaming FB's who hasn't got back in time.

Attacking wise, you have a central three, although they should be exceptoinally dynamic. Kieran Lee would certainly suit this role, maybe Bannan too. We would need another, as Hutch and Jones would naturally play a little too deep for the central three in midfield, who need to be pushed up beyond the FB's from a starting position.

Five in midfield means that 2 of those midfielders should by rights be able to support any push from the FB's. So now you have at least 5 attacking players, including the front 2, and that's excluding a switch to the opposite flank from the other FB pushing up.

That's it in it's most simple terms, but football isn't a difficult game. It's just sometimes difficult to do the simple things.

On 15/06/2017 at 11:24, jonnyowl said:

Ive been saying for ages that 3-5-2 gets us our best players in their best positions.

Hutch at CB with Lees and Loovens.

Hunt and Reach at wing backs.

Lee and Bannan in the middle.

Hooper behind FF and Rhodes

The same except Ff behind Hooper and Rhodes. Also Abdi plays attacking midfield too so he could play the ff role behind the front 2 

On 15/06/2017 at 19:39, sheffield_dave said:

3-5-2 makes a ton of sense for us.

• Allows us to play Forrestieri centrally - where he wants to be - while still retaining a front 2 from Fletcher, Rhodes, Winnall and Hooper
  • Negates our current need for wingers, our most expensive current problem to fix
  • Negates any question mark over the fullbacks, arguably another position we would need to strengthen if we stuck to 4-4-2
  • Potentially gives a new lease of life to players we already have, particularly Reach and Abdi 

We've seemed stuck and restricted by a 4-4-2 this season that has left us short of ideas. We need 4 top quality first team signings regardless of if we play 4-4-2 or 3-5-2, but for me the latter would certainly be more exciting and would give us more options and benefits to players already here.

Sign 2x new CB's, a dominating midfielder and a right wing back.

GK: Westwood / Wildsmith

CB: NEW / Hutch

CB: Lees / Loovens

CB: NEW

RWB: NEW / Hunt

LWB: Reach / Pudil

CM: NEW / Jones

CM: Lee / Bannan

AM: Forrestieri / Abdi

ST: Rhodes / Winnall

ST: Hooper / Fletcher 

For me our options around those 6 forward players is outrageous for this league and 3-5-2 is the system that solves any problems we have fitting them in or getting the best out of them. Sign the right players behind them and 3-5-2 suddenly seems obvious to me. 

I think you're spot on here and posted the same about a week ago in a separate thread. The only change I had was Hutch in the middle of the back 3 and Lees on the right. Hutch is better suited to being the one able to step out with the ball and has the better range of passing.

This formation has been proved a success at Chelsea and no reason why we can't make it a success. Carlos struggled a little to give us an identity last season (even though we finished where we did). Finding a positive identity could well be the thing to take us that extra step,

We were pretty much playing a 3-5-2 much of last season anyway when Hutch was in "midfield". Hutch dropped back between the centre halves (3), the fullbacks bombed forward and wingers came inside (5) and our 2 forwards did whatever they did (2).

The issue isn't 3-5-2 vs 4-4-2 vs 4-5-1 - the system we play could have been called any of those things, it's that the players we had didn't have the dynamism or directness to assert our style on games, and the players we relied on as outlets (fullbacks and wide players) didn't have the consistency, end product or creativity to pose a threat for the most part. 

8 minutes ago, Random Task said:

We were pretty much playing a 3-5-2 much of last season anyway when Hutch was in "midfield". Hutch dropped back between the centre halves (3), the fullbacks bombed forward and wingers came inside (5) and our 2 forwards did whatever they did (2).

The issue isn't 3-5-2 vs 4-4-2 vs 4-5-1 - the system we play could have been called any of those things, it's that the players we had didn't have the dynamism or directness to assert our style on games, and the players we relied on as outlets (fullbacks and wide players) didn't have the consistency, end product or creativity to pose a threat for the most part. 

Essentially you are talking about someone or more than one person taking the game by the scruff of the neck and saying "I own this"

I personally think that's why we need another snarler, either at CB or in CM - and in truth we have one in Hutchinson.    

We need what we lacked when Lee went out of the side also, drive and energy to move forwards with some purpose.   

In my mind that's seriously just a couple of players on top of the bare minimum of CB's - as Carlos suggested, no more than 4 or 5 players incoming.    Probably only 4 players unless someone really attractive becomes available and we can't say no.

27 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

Essentially you are talking about someone or more than one person taking the game by the scruff of the neck and saying "I own this"

I personally think that's why we need another snarler, either at CB or in CM - and in truth we have one in Hutchinson.    

We need what we lacked when Lee went out of the side also, drive and energy to move forwards with some purpose.   

In my mind that's seriously just a couple of players on top of the bare minimum of CB's - as Carlos suggested, no more than 4 or 5 players incoming.    Probably only 4 players unless someone really attractive becomes available and we can't say no.

You can impose physically and impose creatively - we didn't do either. We didn't have the physical presence to disrupt the opposition, or the attacking threat to disrupt their game plan. 

If we just add a couple of hardnuts it doesn't fix the fact that Wallace, Hunt, Pudil and Reach can't create enough on a consistent basis to provide the chances to take us up.

If we just add creators it won't change the fact that we struggled to really get to grips with too many games last season. We were knocked off our stride too much and too many games felt far too difficult.  

My wish list is:

A dominant centre half

At least 1 fullback who can be trusted to provide assists (they are our only wide outlet, we need them to play their part offensively)

A genuine box to box midfielder with presence (not Dave Jones)

A winger who can provide and also disrupt the opposition and do both consistently. We need 1 more forward that is up there with the best in the league.

That assumes that we aren't going to lose Forestieri.

Did no-one notice that as soon as Hooper and Lee were back, we started having a threat out wide, because Lee was always making runs into the channels down the right flank, meaning Wallace had space to create down the inside right area because Lee had dragged a man out of that area. So much of our thread comes through the combination play of Lee, Hunt and Wallace

20 minutes ago, Random Task said:

You can impose physically and impose creatively - we didn't do either. We didn't have the physical presence to disrupt the opposition, or the attacking threat to disrupt their game plan. 

If we just add a couple of hardnuts it doesn't fix the fact that Wallace, Hunt, Pudil and Reach can't create enough on a consistent basis to provide the chances to take us up.

If we just add creators it won't change the fact that we struggled to really get to grips with too many games last season. We were knocked off our stride too much and too many games felt far too difficult.  

My wish list is:

A dominant centre half

At least 1 fullback who can be trusted to provide assists (they are our only wide outlet, we need them to play their part offensively)

A genuine box to box midfielder with presence (not Dave Jones)

A winger who can provide and also disrupt the opposition and do both consistently. We need 1 more forward that is up there with the best in the league.

That assumes that we aren't going to lose Forestieri.

Well fornicate me.  How did we manage to amass our second highest points total ever in this league?

35 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Well fornicate me.  How did we manage to amass our second highest points total ever in this league?

It's all relative, isn't it. We'd all have bitten off hands if we were offered this squad and position 3 years ago. Wanting to improve further doesn't change that.

Unfortunately, even with our second highest ever points total in this league, we were quite a distance from being one of the two best teams in it over the season. We need to be better if we want to go up. We aren't going to be better unless we have better players. There's no point in being coy about it. 

I'm not convinced we'll go with three centre backs, but any system that appears to give us two up front, won't be what it seems. One of the two will always be Hooper or Forestieri, as they are the only ones capable of providing a link with midfield. Who plays up there with them, is anyone's guess. It could even be Hooper and Forestieri together, taking it in turns to drop back into the hole. Of the rest, probably Fletcher is the best option, though if he were more consistent, I'd favour Joao. Ideally, we'd have brought in someone with Joao's attributes, but who was a little further down the line