3-5-2

Guest Arnold

5 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

If we play with 3 at the back, Hutchinson will play in the middle of the back 3. I've no doubt about that.  

Not unless we sign another top CB he wouldn't. Right now it would be Loovens central, with the speedier, younger Lees and Hutch covering the flanks for the wing-backs. 

39 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Not unless we sign another top CB he wouldn't. Right now it would be Loovens central, with the speedier, younger Lees and Hutch covering the flanks for the wing-backs. 

Disagree.

The better ball player goes central bad carries the ball out into midfield.

The sweeper basically. 

Loovens is a left footer so it makes sense he goes left.

3-5-2 makes a ton of sense for us.

• Allows us to play Forrestieri centrally - where he wants to be - while still retaining a front 2 from Fletcher, Rhodes, Winnall and Hooper
  • Negates our current need for wingers, our most expensive current problem to fix
  • Negates any question mark over the fullbacks, arguably another position we would need to strengthen if we stuck to 4-4-2
  • Potentially gives a new lease of life to players we already have, particularly Reach and Abdi 

We've seemed stuck and restricted by a 4-4-2 this season that has left us short of ideas. We need 4 top quality first team signings regardless of if we play 4-4-2 or 3-5-2, but for me the latter would certainly be more exciting and would give us more options and benefits to players already here.

Sign 2x new CB's, a dominating midfielder and a right wing back.

GK: Westwood / Wildsmith

CB: NEW / Hutch

CB: Lees / Loovens

CB: NEW

RWB: NEW / Hunt

LWB: Reach / Pudil

CM: NEW / Jones

CM: Lee / Bannan

AM: Forrestieri / Abdi

ST: Rhodes / Winnall

ST: Hooper / Fletcher 

For me our options around those 6 forward players is outrageous for this league and 3-5-2 is the system that solves any problems we have fitting them in or getting the best out of them. Sign the right players behind them and 3-5-2 suddenly seems obvious to me. 

Just now, Holmowl said:

@sheffield_dave

When did FF say he prefers to play centrally?

I don't think the rumours that Forrestieri prefers to play centrally rather than on the left are a particular secret.. or are unsubstantiated. 

Either way, it's immaterial. Forrestieri does play centrally for us and I think playing him behind a front 2 allows us to get the best out of both him and out of 2 of our 4 other quality forwards. 3-5-2 allows us to do that.

2 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

I don't think the rumours that Forrestieri prefers to play centrally rather than on the left are a particular secret.. or are unsubstantiated. 

Either way, it's immaterial. Forrestieri does play centrally for us and I think playing him behind a front 2 allows us to get the best out of both him and out of 2 of our 4 other quality forwards. 3-5-2 allows us to do that.

Nice idea Dave, but I'm not sure many managers would play such an attacking system The nearest I've seen is, a side playing with one striker, and maybe a 2 or 3 players like Forestieri in a second row, like Tottenham At Tottenham though, that is anchored by one, sometimes two, big defensive midfielders 

8 hours ago, Arnold said:

Biggs has just released an article saying we could be gearing up for a formation change to 3-5-2. I would like to see us try it at some point as I think it could work. 

Probably the easiest way to shoehorn Bannan, Lee and Hutch into the midfield. 

Guest Arnold
28 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

• Allows us to play Forrestieri centrally - where he wants to be - while still retaining a front 2 from Fletcher, Rhodes, Winnall and Hooper
  • Negates our current need for wingers, our most expensive current problem to fix
  • Negates any question mark over the fullbacks, arguably another position we would need to strengthen if we stuck to 4-4-2
  • Potentially gives a new lease of life to players we already have, particularly Reach and Abdi 

We've seemed stuck and restricted by a 4-4-2 this season that has left us short of ideas. We need 4 top quality first team signings regardless of if we play 4-4-2 or 3-5-2, but for me the latter would certainly be more exciting and would give us more options and benefits to players already here.

For me our options around those 6 forward players is outrageous for this league and 3-5-2 is the system that solves any problems we have fitting them in or getting the best out of them. Sign the right players behind them and 3-5-2 suddenly seems obvious to me. 

Completely agree with you 

1 minute ago, Blue and white said:

352 makes perfect sense, we have the layers to carry it off, and 3 or 4 quality players to the team and we'd be a force in this league next season.

Possibly, but we could probably be a force by adding 4 quality players to the current system

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Possibly, but we could probably be a force by adding 4 quality players to the current system

4-4-2 doesn't suit us and I have thought this for over a season.  I've nothing against the system but we don't have the players to play it properly. Midfield players such as Lee, Bannan, Hutch and Abdi are all suited to playing in a midfield 3. I do think if we go to a back 3, Hutch will slot into the middle of that back line.

I do do see a system change next season.  I absolutely don't see the point with wingers tucking in to central midfield helping Bannan whereby Hutch goes deep and often becomes the third centre back. 

4 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

4-4-2 doesn't suit us and I have thought this for over a season.  I've nothing against the system but we don't have the players to play it properly. Midfield players such as Lee, Bannan, Hutch and Abdi are all suited to playing in a midfield 3. I do think if we go to a back 3, Hutch will slot into the middle of that back line.

I do do see a system change next season.  I absolutely don't see the point with wingers tucking in to central midfield helping Bannan whereby Hutch goes deep and often becomes the third centre back. 

No, I have never understood why we switched to 4-4-2 in the first place For me though, it depends how we interpret a system with a 3 man back line If we do it the Tottenham way, I'm all for it However if we come up with another compromise system just to try and fit in 2 central strikers, then I fear it won't work

57 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

The rumors are not secret, but they are unsubstantiated.

Unless you know otherwise, nobody has ever found any article or interview where he says this.

Not sure about 352 either. Don't know why but I'm watching the Huddersfield game  :( and when in possession we are basically playing that formation and it's not working.

The main issue I can see is lees and glen and hutch drop and hunt and pudil push really high up to the half way line and stand their. No movement at all. This basically takes them out of the game as a passing option, and our build up play was none existent.

If we do go 352 Carlos better get his tactic book out and learn how to do it.

9 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Theres no sign that he is capable of leading the line He did it on the odd occasion last season, but although he put in the effort, he was hardly a success We certainly didn't need to pay that sort of money for someone to lead the line

Give it a rest eh?

We've heard you.

1 hour ago, sheffield_dave said:

Please forward this to Carlos.