O'Neill wants Westwood to leave

O'Neill lost any relevance about 5/6 years ago. He thinks Randolph is better just because he's back up in the premier league as opposed to playing each week in the championship.

Where is this drive that O'Neill speaks of when he's sat on the bench not playing? I wonder what league Randolph would be playing in.

Hopefully Westwood knows what's best for him because it certainly isn't Martin O'Neill.

Best keeper in this division by a country mile.

How many points has he saved for us? Particularly in the darker days where he arugbly single handily kept us up. 

Would easily get into a mid table / lower end PL side. 

We have to hang onto him this summer as we will do very well to replace him if he does go. 

I used to like him back in the day.... but honestly he has lost any sense and managerial ability since he left Aston Villa.  I am a strong believer that to play international football you should be playing and playing well for your club especially now when the pool of players is not as vast as it has been. 

32 minutes ago, debram said:

Kw knows where his bread is buttered, no need for a move and his age is against it, best to make the prem and finish his career at Hillsborough

Or alternatively hes approaching his final years and needs a last chance at the Prem.

2 hours ago, Owl 44 said:

Journos reckon he didn't mean that. They reckon it was a colloquial term for he needs a kick up the ass. 

I read it a few times thinking could he have meant it that way.  

Taking the last line on its own you'd like to think he did just mean he needs a kick up the ass. And surely a national manager wouldn't be so brazen to say a player needs to move clubs so bluntly. 

But when you read the whole piece it sounds more like he knew exactly what he was doing. He talks about wanting Westwood to have the ambition to play in the Premier League. Then says he is in a world of his own basically suggesting he is just happy being with us in the championship.

It's a message that if Westwood wants to be Ireland no1 he needs to be playing in the Premiership, which is rather stupid seeing as Randolph is in the Premiership but getting next to no game time. Also doesn't explain why Forde was picked ahead of him.

If it was just a case of saying Westwood is sometimes too relaxed, doesn't exert himself in training enough etc there'd be no need to mention the Premiership.

1 hour ago, handworth52 said:

he is a nob who will never manage at club level again . those comments are a disgrace I'm wondering if club can make an official complaint

Probably could, but what's the point.   Opinions and arseholes and all that.

The fact that what he said contradicts his own actions in choosing a keeper plying his trade outside the top flight tells it all.    

Let's be honest, in this day and age a keeper of the calibre of Westwood could easily engineer a move to a top flight club and earn maybe double or more he does now.   I think it speaks wonders he wants to play week in week out at a place he feels at home and welcome.    

This kind of article could unsettle some, I don't think Westwood falls into that category.

Guest RocketOwl
3 hours ago, 19owl08 said:

Pretty disgraceful comments for a national manager to make & put into the public domain:

"Westwood has been really patient waiting in the wings. I know Keiren well myself — a very talented goalkeeper.

Keiren is Keiren. I’ve known him for some time and personally I think, as talent goes, he has enough to play in the Premier League. No question about that. 

I want him to have the enthusiasm and ambition to do so. But that’s up to him. I like Keiren but he’s in a wee world of his own. 

Westwood is a top-class goalkeeper, a real natural talent. To go to the very, very top, you need not to just have natural talent but also drive, determination and everything else. 

If he keeps himself properly fit and doesn’t sustain serious injuries then goalkeepers can go for a fairly lengthy time. 

He’s highly-thought-of at Sheffield Wednesday; he’s done really well over the last couple of years there. His kicking, he pings the ball all over the pitch. He can place 50-yard balls to people. 

He’s a really fine goalkeeper and he’s actually a really good lad but he needs moving.”

All those positive comments yet until recently he has had David Forde and Shay Given ahead of him, despite Westwood having more clean sheets than DFS:

MON is a disgrace of a manager and clearly has an agenda against Westwood. Westwood strikes me as one of the nosy professional and ambitious squad member we have, yet MON is effectively trying to say he's not prepared to push himself - yet he clearly does, is captain material and if he's in a world of his own, I'd rather more of our players be in that world than MON demented world: