Left Backs

Thought Fox looked promising. Couldn't really see why he was dropped for Pudil.

Better defensively and added a bit more height to the defence

Can't remember him beng dire but didn't see many away games

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Pudil and Fox flattered to deceive from time to time, but neither were consistent, and occasionally they were dire. Reach filled in from time to time, with mixed results.

Its a tough one to answer at present as we don't know whether FF will be striker or winger, so don't know if Reach is a sure-start winger or not.

Just for the sake of this thread, if we assume we use FF or a new buy as LW from August, who would you want to see as our first-choice LB?

For me, in order...

Reach 

New buy

Pudil

And who would the new buy be? I'm struggling to think of a realistically priced LB significantly better than Reach and Pudil.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Matt Penney push likes of Fox and Pudil for left-back spot. Ideally we would sign first choice left-back of real class, move on Pudil and Fox, and keep Penney as a back-up.

1 hour ago, Blatter said:

Thought Fox looked promising. Couldn't really see why he was dropped for Pudil.

Better defensively and added a bit more height to the defence

Can't remember him beng dire but didn't see many away games

I recall two matches where he looked like he had been out all night on the raz. Blackburn home and Leeds away (I think).

Guest Kagoshimaowl

I doubt we will bring one in as we have 3 options there already.  Think Carlos will go for a CB, a CM, a winger and maybe even a RB before he even thinks about left back.

Personally I'd like a better left back but it won't happen.

Wouldn't we need to try and sell Fox and/or Pudil before signing another L Back. I think part of Carlos' problems last season was having too many players yet never willing to drop his favourites. Definitely agree that Reach better as a L Back or wing back

13 minutes ago, hatcheeks said:

Wouldn't we need to try and sell Fox and/or Pudil before signing another L Back. I think part of Carlos' problems last season was having too many players yet never willing to drop his favourites. Definitely agree that Reach better as a L Back or wing back

Agree mate, with FFP (we surely must be close to the ceiling?), then CC must be more prudent in the market and I also feel that if we buy we must counter-balance the outlay with a sale. We have to recruit smarter.

12 minutes ago, 1947OWL said:

Having watched his recent performances, Matt Penney has shown enough to be a real challenger for the left back position.

He didn't play for Bradford while on loan but he definitely looks promising. 

Personally think fox did ok can cross it and looks sharp enough to run up box to box all day. He's young enough to improve think he ok. I'm gobsmacked why we signs emanuelson not to play him when he's a decent player when fit then to release him anyway ?? Pointless wage bill if ask me. And you can't tell me he wasn't fit all season that's shocking if so. But other than that reach can stay there with FF on left I think left side is our strongest 

James Meredith at Bradford City now they have failed to get promotion. He's 29, 6'1", and has impressed me when I've seen him on T.V. Matt Penny has been cover for him whilst on loan and hardly featured but I can see why even though I consider him to be an excellent prospect.

Pudil looks tired, Fox - the jury's out, we've spent £5 mill on Reach, so to get some return on that I think LB is his best position and he's the best out of the 3. We need to strengthen but I think we have other priorities.