if you could pick one player

23 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

You said Lee was the best box to box player in the Championship. I named three others that would do a better job in central midfield.

You are almost as good as Mrs H in an argument. If she said grass was orange I eventually concede that it is.

You named 3.

Cairney - close call but possibly yes, better than Lee.

Hutch - nowhere near as a box to box

Hourihane - not seen enough to argue If as good as Lee.

...and grass is definitely green.

I'd choose Carlton Palmer and without a moment's hesitation.

His ability to influence a game both in winning the ball and then moving it forward, is precisely what we are missing. He had the best engine on a player I've ever seen, never out of a game, never shirking responsibility.

Lee is a great player, but comparing him to Carlton is ridiculous. I think alongside CP Lee would actually play more the Sheridan role.

While I love Hutch and cheer as loudly as anyone when he makes a crunching tackle or raises his arms to gee up his teammates; Palmer did this relentlessly, week in, week out and without half the fanfare. Phenomenal player

We have 3 glaring problems as people keep aluding to, a cb partner for lees, of which I'd have to go Des walker. 

That midfield beast obviously you go Carleton Palmer. 

Creativity /supply for our strike force, so waddle would get my vote. 

For me though I'd have big nige Pearson back, the one thing I've noticed is we do lack that driving, organising leadership a Pearson brought and stability at the back for the flair players to do the business going forward, big strong imposing Terry butcher esq. Brighton had a dunk we need similar. 

A powerful, pacy and mobile centre forward capable of creating chances for himself.

Would have to be Hirsty.

I'd have gone for Waddle but folks have made it clear this season they don't like inside out wingers and want one who plays on the outside wi genuine pace:ph34r:

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

10 hours ago, Holmowl said:

You are not the first to be asking for a box to box in the last few days.

What about Lee, the best box to box in this division?

Lee is superb. Different to Palmer. Would be an ideal pairing, I envisaged Palmer complimenting him in a 4-4-2. But this was a hypothetical question. 

6 hours ago, The Coorong Owl said:

Seen as everyone's said waddle

IMG_0487.JPG

Great call. With our aerial threat he would be superb and put a good shift in covering the full back. 

Re defence - Bougherra would liven up the chuckle brother "to you to me" stuff between Loovens and Lees

up front - a striker who can get the ball anywhere, run with it and scoooower! Any other year I'd say Hirsty but this year, Dalian Atkinson RIP.

PS Delighted to see Palmer getting recognition in this thread for the brillliatnt player he was. 

Edited by Rogerwyldesmullet

14 hours ago, Holmowl said:

You are not the first to be asking for a box to box in the last few days.

What about Lee, the best box to box in this division?

Depends if you mean Kieran lee or Kieran lee. Both are pretty good 'box to box' so I'm told!

joking aside, not my favourite ever player but what we need is a leader and energy so I would go with Carlton palmer. being ultra critical I feel this team is lacking leaders.