if you could pick one player

23 minutes ago, F. Spiksley said:

One player...?

Immediately Hirst and Waddle spring to mind, but that's not the issue. We need a box to box midfielder so for me it's Carlton Palmer.

You are not the first to be asking for a box to box in the last few days.

What about Lee, the best box to box in this division?

31 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

You are not the first to be asking for a box to box in the last few days.

What about Lee, the best box to box in this division?

The best box to box in this league? You are having a laugh. He drifts in and out of games almost becoming anonymous. The play off semi-finals highlighted this. Palmer was a proper box to box midfielder.

9 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

The best box to box in this league? You are having a laugh. He drifts in and out of games almost becoming anonymous. The play off semi-finals highlighted this. Palmer was a proper box to box midfielder.

Palmer was unbelievable, and yes, significantly better than Lee. Palmer would be playing for a top six Prem side, England, and cost £30m.

Lee plays in the Championship, and is outstanding at that level. Now that Shelvey has gone up, there's no box to his midfielder in our division I would swap for Lee.

Just now, Holmowl said:

Palmer was unbelievable, and yes, significantly better than Lee. Palmer would be playing for a top six Prem side, England, and cost £30m.

Lee plays in the Championship, and is outstanding at that level. Now that Shelvey has gone up, there's no box to his midfielder in our division I would swap for Lee.

It doesnt say much for the quality of box to box midfielders then does it? I hear many go on about the merits of Lee but i just don't see it. No physical presence, no real pace and no aerial threat. In fact many on hear who think he's the bees knees cant even say what they think his best role in the side would be. We've had the play him at right back, right side of midfield, in behind the strikers etc. If you are a good midfielder then everyone knows your role.

7 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

It doesnt say much for the quality of box to box midfielders then does it? I hear many go on about the merits of Lee but i just don't see it. No physical presence, no real pace and no aerial threat. In fact many on hear who think he's the bees knees cant even say what they think his best role in the side would be. We've had the play him at right back, right side of midfield, in behind the strikers etc. If you are a good midfielder then everyone knows your role.

Name a couple of box to box midfielders upto say £8m who would automatically replace Lee and improve our side.

13 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Name a couple of box to box midfielders upto say £8m who would automatically replace Lee and improve our side.

Why have you suddenly placed a limit on a players value? You said Lee was the best box to box in the league. I would rather have Hourihane, Cairney or even Hutchinson in there well before Lee.

Just now, Ronnie Starling said:

Why have you suddenly placed a limit on a players value? You said Lee was the best box to box in the league. I would rather have Hourihane, Cairney or even Hutchinson in there well before Lee.

Because Pogba and Toure would be unfair.

I thought 6m was a realistic figure that we would reasonably pay for a CM.

Cairney - only seen him a couple of times and yes he looked the business. No way is Hutch box to box.

Pearson for me. I love Loovens and our defensive record with him is twice as good as without him but Pearson was taller, stronger and a real goal threat while being the organiser and captain.

If you add 10 goals from a CB at set pieces to a good team you get enough points to go from playoffs to automatic.

13 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Because Pogba and Toure would be unfair.

I thought 6m was a realistic figure that we would reasonably pay for a CM.

Cairney - only seen him a couple of times and yes he looked the business. No way is Hutch box to box.

You said Lee was the best box to box player in the Championship. I named three others that would do a better job in central midfield.