Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

6 minutes ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Makes you wonder what each of Jordan Rhodes goals have cost us in cold hard cash?

We wont know until he leaves us, hopefully a legend after scoring 25 in our promotion season.

32 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

7 strikers not incl Hirst.

Fletch

Hooper

Rhodes

Winnall

Joao

Nuhiu

FF 

He has said he will play FF more on the wing but he said the same last Summer and failed to do so. He started only six games all season there.

He certainly has some juggling and ego massaging to do if he keeps all 7 of them beyond this window. I feel pretty sure at least one will depart. How can he keep 7 happy? 

I actually think that our inflated squad is the main reason behind the differing performances in his first and second seasons.

Just now, Ballmeist said:

I actually think that our inflated squad is the main reason behind the differing performances in his first and second seasons.

I started a thread after about 10 games last season, about how we had suffered from not having a settled strike-force. To be fair, regular niggling injuries to Fletch, and Nando's antics caused the early season rotation, but all the way through the season we found no settled partnership.

I am certain that if we could check we would find that we were 24th out of 24 in terms of the most-played strike partnership teams.

Yes we have great choice. But this season he absolutely needs to find partnerships that work. I am old-school though and despise rotation.

Birmingham City target Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu has handed Harryu Redknapp a major boost by confirming he won’t be joining Huddersfield Town.

The Terriers were reported to be in direct competition with Blues for the 26-year-old midfielder who is set to leave Italian side Udinese this summer.

Redknapp went to the John Smith’s Stadium on Wednesday to watch Agyemang-Badu in action and was pictured chatting to the Ghanaian midfielder outside, along with Blues’ Director of Football Jeff Vetere.

Redknapp was seen gesturing towards the sky when describing Blues enforcer Cheikh Ndoye to Agyemang-Badu and joked: “If anyone tackles you, he kills them.”

Bottom line is, we definitely need at least one centre back. However, having a new centre back, no matter how good, will not revolutionise the way we play. It will not help the strikers we have, score the goal that many feel they are capable of. A new defender might stop us conceding some of the soft headers we conceded last season, but let's not forget, Lees and Loovens are one of the best pairings in the division, so any improvement would be marginal. 

However, any major improvement in service to the strikers will have to come from recruitment elsewhere. Boyd is a start, a good player, if not the saviour some believe him to be. I'm not one of these who think we have the best strikers in the division, but as a group, they are pretty handy at this level. A lot of people on here think I am unnecessarily harsh on Jordan Rhodes, but my biggest gripe was, it was a lot of money for someone who didn't suit the way we play. It is though, inconceivable that Rhodes cannot score more than he has done for us, and he's not alone there. For this to happen, I firmly believe we need to revamp the midfield. It is the area where most of this seasons budget should be spent. With the right pairing in the engine room, our wide players would not need to compensate by playing so narrow, and the midfield would not need to sit so deep. We simply have to find the player who can drive us forward and bring the whole thing together. We've seen enough evidence that we don't have the right pairing amongst the current midfield options. Some pairings are OK against certain opponents, but in the main, we don't have a pairing that can wrestle control of that midfield area. Getting in such a player is the best way of making this system work.

The only other way would be, to cash in our existing forwards and splurge the cash on someone like Andy Gray. A forward like him, might overcome our midfield shortcomings, but it would be a lot cheaper to bring in the right midfield man.

I think we've seen from this seasons friendlies, that without re shaping the midfield, I'm afraid it's going to be more of the same again this season. Effective, yes to a point, but oh so boring to watch

46 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Bottom line is, we definitely need at least one centre back. However, having a new centre back, no matter how good, will not revolutionise the way we play. It will not help the strikers we have, score the goal that many feel they are capable of. A new defender might stop us conceding some of the soft headers we conceded last season, but let's not forget, Lees and Loovens are one of the best pairings in the division, so any improvement would be marginal. 

However, any major improvement in service to the strikers will have to come from recruitment elsewhere. Boyd is a start, a good player, if not the saviour some believe him to be. I'm not one of these who think we have the best strikers in the division, but as a group, they are pretty handy at this level. A lot of people on here think I am unnecessarily harsh on Jordan Rhodes, but my biggest gripe was, it was a lot of money for someone who didn't suit the way we play. It is though, inconceivable that Rhodes cannot score more than he has done for us, and he's not alone there. For this to happen, I firmly believe we need to revamp the midfield. It is the area where most of this seasons budget should be spent. With the right pairing in the engine room, our wide players would not need to compensate by playing so narrow, and the midfield would not need to sit so deep. We simply have to find the player who can drive us forward and bring the whole thing together. We've seen enough evidence that we don't have the right pairing amongst the current midfield options. Some pairings are OK against certain opponents, but in the main, we don't have a pairing that can wrestle control of that midfield area. Getting in such a player is the best way of making this system work.

The only other way would be, to cash in our existing forwards and splurge the cash on someone like Andy Gray. A forward like him, might overcome our midfield shortcomings, but it would be a lot cheaper to bring in the right midfield man.

I think we've seen from this seasons friendlies, that without re shaping the midfield, I'm afraid it's going to be more of the same again this season. Effective, yes to a point, but oh so boring to watch

Yes creativity to the strikers is still the main problem. 

Its interesting seeing Jack Hunt saying they'll do better at Preston, but my question would be how exactly? As the way they performed against Rangers was the same as against Huddersfield in the playoffs and Rotherham in the league and other times last season. I get the feeling Hunt's plan is just to hope Lees or Fletcher manage to get their head on the end of the 1-2 times we get the ball in the box at Preston, which they failed to do against Rangers 

:duntmatter:

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I often don't agree with you but you are bang on here. The problem is actually finding some one to play that midfield role who is of the required quality. They wont be cheap or easy to bring in. 

14 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

I often don't agree with you but you are bang on here. The problem is actually finding some one to play that midfield role who is of the required quality. They wont be cheap or easy to bring in. 

I agree with it but THE problem is the managers tactics last season. Cc's first season we employed a very high press and intensity in our play. We completely abandoned this last season, if he could revert to that in the majority of games this season and increase the number of crosses into the box I'd be v confident of a top 2 finish.

50 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

No they won't, but we will have known that beforehand. If we can clinch the freebie signing of Djourou, following on from not paying a fee from Boyd, then use the money to bring in a midfielder. It's vital, not least because we know that none of the other combinations work. We can't just keep shuffling them around and hoping it will come good. Failing that, there is always the loan market.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Irvine as the engine, Abdi for the creativity. Controversial but effective.

40 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

I agree with it but THE problem is the managers tactics last season. Cc's first season we employed a very high press and intensity in our play. We completely abandoned this last season, if he could revert to that in the majority of games this season and increase the number of crosses into the box I'd be v confident of a top 2 finish.

I think we have to deal with the reality here. We had ample opportunity to switch back last season, and we chose not to do it. Likewise this season, has anyone seen a change of tactics this pre season? No, we have to presume it will be more of the same, in which case, get the personnel in to make it work

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I think we have to deal with the reality here. We had ample opportunity to switch back last season, and we chose not to do it. Likewise this season, has anyone seen a change of tactics this pre season? No, we have to presume it will be more of the same, in which case, get the personnel in to make it work

You can change the way you play without changing your formation or personnel. We have done it in both of the last two seasons.

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Unfortunately the only personnel change worthwhile is changing the manager as I don't believe if he signed a powerful midfielder he'd bother playing him. We had the chance apparently with guediora 18 months ago and he didn't bother. If he had I think we'd be about to start our 2nd season in the premiership.

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The tactics worked last season we finished 4 th

Ipswich Town are reported to be making a move to sign winger Harry Bunn from Premier League new boys Huddersfield.

According to The Sun, a fee of around £500,000 or £600,000 ought to be enough to secure the 24-year-old.

Bunn started his career with Manchester City during which time he spent time on loan at Rochdale, Preston, hometown club Oldham, Crewe, Sheffield United and the Terriers, who he subsequently joined on a permanent basis in January 2014.

Since that switch the 5ft 9in tall wideman, the son of ex-Oldham frontman Frankie, has made 70 starts and 28 sub appearances, scoring 17 goals.

16 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

No they won't, but we will have known that beforehand. If we can clinch the freebie signing of Djourou, following on from not paying a fee from Boyd, then use the money to bring in a midfielder. It's vital, not least because we know that none of the other combinations work. We can't just keep shuffling them around and hoping it will come good. Failing that, there is always the loan market.

Despite his faults I'd still like to see us go for Diame. Think he would fit the bill for what we need. You would think Newcastle would be happy to let him go as well.

If we want to play a high pressing game with our current squad you have to do two things

You have to play Hutch in midfield.

You have to have some security and a fit Hutch is the only midfield player with the mix of athletic ability and steel to hold the fort and cover across the pitch

You have to play your mobile players . Players like Reach Boyd Lee FF Joao and Fletcher 

not players like Jones Wallace Rhodes Hooper and I also don't think you can do it if you play Bannan in a midfield two