Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

4 minutes ago, Stoop said:

As much as everyone is sh*tting their pants at the centre half situation, lets not forget that the current set up has equalled the club record for clean sheets in the last 3 seasons.

Our major problems lie in the fact that we don't have a system that can get the best out of the embarrassment of riches that we currently have in attack

That first paragraph is true but misleadingly so. We've done better defensively because we set up first and foremost to defend, hence the frustrating performances.

Better quality defenders, certainly in those  FB positions would free us up tactically I think, at least to some degree.

Just now, SiJ said:

Very good point...though in one of those record breaking seasons we produced some of the best attacking football that's been seen at S6 in a generation.

If only we could somehow strike a balance between CC's first and second season. 

Isn't that what all great teams have...if it was that easy everyone would be able to do it...we've got both elements in our locker it's putting it together that is hard

Just now, SiJ said:

Very good point...though in one of those record breaking seasons we produced some of the best attacking football that's been seen at S6 in a generation.

I reckon CC looked at the 3 sides that went up that season, and he reckoned that as Boro, Burnley and Hull pretty much bored their way to the premier league, he'd try the same 

But loovens is older and sasso isn't here and we were short last year. 

left back we have Penny, Pudil, Reach and Fox. I do hope one excels. 

Right back we've hunt, who did well last year and Palmer who maybe getting replaced. 

Id agree we have so many good attackers let's hope it clicks. 

Edited by djorkaeff

Just now, SiJ said:

It seems to me the good attacking football stopped when opposition teams sussed they just needed to mark Bannan out of the game.

Ever since then Bannan has been dropping deeper and deeper to get the ball and we are only able to pass the ball around the defence before hoofing it.

And Carlos hasn't worked out an answer to this dilemma. He has just persisted with the same team and the same tactics despite having an absolute luxury of players to choose from.

4 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Won more games, and gained more points in the 2nd season though..

If we want to go up its got to be purely on the results. I don't anticipate us going gung ho and trying to batter anybody this year. We'll be looking for wins, so it'll be tight, risk averse football.

We are easy to play against 

pressure our back 4, by putting 2 forwards near Pudil and Hunt which forces Loovens and Lees to go long

and... by keeping a high line as we have zero pace to get in behind

Managers just have to stick on a DVD of us at Wembley and it's there to see, and we just don't have another way to play

Edited by Stoop

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Won more games, and gained more points in the 2nd season though..

If we want to go up its got to be purely on the results. I don't anticipate us going gung ho and trying to batter anybody this year. We'll be looking for wins, so it'll be tight, risk averse football.

I don't have a problem with that if we're in and around the top 2. Last season we never troubled the top 2 and whilst we rave on about Brighton, they were largely the same team as the season before.

5 minutes ago, Bodhidharma said:

It seems to me the good attacking football stopped when opposition teams sussed they just needed to mark Bannan out of the game.

Ever since then Bannan has been dropping deeper and deeper to get the ball and we are only able to pass the ball around the defence before hoofing it.

And Carlos hasn't worked out an answer to this dilemma. He has just persisted with the same team and the same tactics despite having an absolute luxury of players to choose from.

I imagine the signing of Abdi was intended to give us more options in terms of unlocking teams and playing through them. Unfortunately, he struggled for full fitness and we've yet to see anything like the best of him in a Wednesday shirt.

It must be very frustrating knowing you spent a decent wedge of last season's transfer budget on a player who should be capable of making a huge difference to your team, only to see him struggle in the way Abdi has. Sending him off for his own 'mini pre-season' in the autumn was a sign of how desperate the club must be for him to come good.

Fingers crossed Abdi's able to overcome his issues and show us what we were missing this season.

15 minutes ago, Stoop said:

I reckon CC looked at the 3 sides that went up that season, and he reckoned that as Boro, Burnley and Hull pretty much bored their way to the premier league, he'd try the same 

That was my theory. 

We played this great attacking football for large parts of his first season, but then got bullied and out muscled by Hull in the Play Off Final. 

You then had Boro and Burnley grinding their way to promotion. 

I suppose if you look at last season Brighton and Newcastle were teams who could play some nice football, but they were even better at grinding out a game and getting a result. 

Udders for all the "football" they played couldn't score for sh*t either. 

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I imagine the signing of Abdi was intended to give us more options in terms of unlocking teams and playing through them. Unfortunately, he struggled for full fitness and we've yet to see anything like the best of him in a Wednesday shirt.

It must be very frustrating knowing you spent a decent wedge of last season's transfer budget on a player who should be capable of making a huge difference to your team, only to see him struggle in the way Abdi has. Sending him off for his own 'mini pre-season' in the autumn was a sign of how desperate the club must be for him to come good.

Fingers crossed Abdi's able to overcome his issues and show us what we were missing this season.

I won't hold my breath.

Seems to me Carlos is reluctant to change things round enough to accommodate him.

Just now, Bodhidharma said:

I won't hold my breath.

Seems to me Carlos is reluctant to change things round enough to accommodate him.

We need to get him fully fit first. If we can do that, it might actually then be worth making a few tweaks to allow his individual game to shine a bit more.

7 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We need to get him fully fit first. If we can do that, it might actually then be worth making a few tweaks to allow his individual game to shine a bit more.

Fully fit and played to his strengths he is one of the best players at this level and has proved that before, same goes for Rhodes.

A little tweak here and there could make a massive difference and bring something to the team that was missing last season.

Edited by Blue and white

23 minutes ago, Stoop said:

We are easy to play against 

pressure our back 4, by putting 2 forwards near Pudil and Hunt which forces Loovens and Lees to go long

and... by keeping a high line as we have zero pace to get in behind

Managers just have to stick on a DVD of us at Wembley and it's there to see, and we just don't have another way to play

So easy we came fourth last season. 

Just now, Blue and white said:

Fully fitted and played to his strengths he is one of the best players at this level and has proved that before, same goes for Rhodes.

A little tweak here and there could make a massive difference and bring something to the team that was missing last season.

Exactly. Now if he can just get back to full fitness...

28 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

I don't have a problem with that if we're in and around the top 2. Last season we never troubled the top 2 and whilst we rave on about Brighton, they were largely the same team as the season before.

Brighton had knockaert, who played out of his skin and pretty much single handedly ripped some teams apart.

Ably supported by a very decent championship squad.

If Fernando or boyd can hit top form this year, and the rest can replicate the last two seasons, we'll be up and around the top 4 at least.

The advantage we have is having four strikers all capable of hitting 15+ a season, plus forestieri. We have enough goals to get two a game, and I suspect by keeping it extra tight, Carlos will be looking for 2-0/2-1/1-0 wins.

The thing with adding pace - which guru et al keep clamouring for - is those types of players invariably leave holes, or get caught out of position. I don't think we are going to risk that this year, and the pacey, disciplined and intelligent players cost a bomb. We are looking a bit mundane, but I'll bet it's effective again this year..

1 hour ago, MuddyFunkster said:

So we are definitely after a CB and RB if everything is to be believed. With us being close to FFP do you think loans are the only option to get quality in? 

If so, would Jon Flanaghan be a good option for RB on loan? Liverpool let him out on loan last season so they're not averse to it.

Just to add, he'd be no worse than Hutton and wouldn't be tied to a long contract with us on high wages.