Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

22 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

What would max power add that we don't already have ? Didn't score a single goal last season. If lee baz hutch and Abdi are fit that's 4 good midfielders for me with jones as further back up 

From the little I've seen and read. He got six assists, he gets from box to box and is very energetic. 

The only player who really gets box to box for us is Lee. 

4 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

From the little I've seen and read. He got six assists, he gets from box to box and is very energetic. 

True. but Lee is probably twice the player Power is.

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yeah I get that, but without addressing the midfield problem, we will never get our strikers firing

Absolutely, mistakes have been made in the recruitment obvious for anyone to see 

but we can't just go signing players on top of players,  we've thrown some Reyt coin away let's not make any excuses ... and whoever has been or still is responsible for recruiting should be under pressure to start getting it right and moving some of this deadwood on 

44 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

For me, he could perhaps act as back up for Lee, so for that reason we might be interested. He's a carrier more than someone who breaks up attacks so we'd have the same problem of not having a proper pair. At least Lee, although not a defensive midfielder, can get a tackle in. The type of midfielder we need, is someone with his energy, but a better all round game.

I'd like us to at least try Abdi in a two, but no one we have would provide the right foil. He would need someone who could win the ball, carry it forward and lend support to the attack. Such a player would cost a bob or two, but if we're not spending money elsewhere, then let's use the money to get us moving in midfield. Failing that, there's always the loan market

Someone like Jackson Irvine would be a better option and would suit us more than Max Power. Both are energetic, box to box players but Irvine's more creative and chips in with goals. Going on last season Irvine would improve us and give us something different but ideally I would love for us to bring in someone like Ryan Woods or Ben Osborn along with a quality ball playing centre back but that seems unlikely. Instead of Power I'd go for Irvine and he probably wouldn't break the bank and might improve us.

6 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

True. but Lee is probably twice the player Power is.

I dont doubt that in terms of an all round technique but perhaps not in terms of some more raw attributes that we lack, it doesn't mean we don't need more box to box players to help. Lee is 29 now, Jones 30 odd, Abdi probably similar. It's just all so pedestrian without Lee, Hutchinson and to a lesser extent Bannan. 

My no 1 target would've been Irvine and I'm not necessarily saying Power is the kind of player who would turn us around. But I think there are some attributes there that make sense (particularly if we have been looking at woods at Brentford too) and it's interesting that he mentioned a team coming back in for him from the championship. Rules out Rangers and we were linked in Jan.

42 games no goals last season for Power.

Even Bannan managed one goal last season and he plays in goal with Westwood for most of the matches.

For a supposed Box to box midfielder he should be hitting 4 or 5 as a minimum.

Lee hit 5 in 28 for us last season.

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

I dont doubt that in terms of an all round technique but perhaps not in terms of some more raw attributes that we lack, it doesn't mean we don't need more box to box players to help. Lee is 29 now, Jones 30 odd, Abdi probably similar. It's just all so pedestrian without Lee, Hutchinson and to a lesser extent Bannan. 

My no 1 target would've been Irvine and I'm not necessarily saying Power is the kind of player who would turn us around. But I think there are some attributes there that make sense (particularly if we have been looking at woods at Brentford too) and it's interesting that he mentioned a team coming back in for him from the championship. Rules out Rangers and we were linked in Jan.

Irvine would be a quality signing for us, can't believe no one appears to have been in for him.

42 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

If we're looking to do things on the cheap, then someone like Joe Ledley might fit the bill. A free agent, quite old with bags of championship experience, he certainly fits the profile. 

And he has a beard for good measure

We have plenty of goals in the team though. I'd not be concerned about that if it added a bit of drive through the middle of the pitch. 

He does have the ability to score goals, he did so in league one including a few scorchers. But perhaps it's a case of being a younger player in a struggling team. 

41 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

We have plenty of goals in the team though. I'd not be concerned about that if it added a bit of drive through the middle of the pitch. 

He does have the ability to score goals, he did so in league one including a few scorchers. But perhaps it's a case of being a younger player in a struggling team. 

He can score goals, he started his professional career as a centre forward

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Hope I am proved wrong if he signs but I can see Power playing about 3 games before Carlos decides he ain't up to it.

He'd be back up at best.

If Lee is fit he has to be in the team. Bannan is one of the first names on the team sheet to a lot of fans annoyance. Personally I like Bannan, I wish he'd play a more advanced role because he's got the ability & the energy to do it. I'm just never sure whether Carlos asks him to play deep or Bannan drifts there to get the ball & space. If Abdi can remain fit & get the game time he's more than capable of providing the attacking midfielder role. With Jones & Hutchinson to add to the equation I don't see somebody like Power getting any significant game time.

Just now, Blue and white said:

Its a good point, no one replaces Bannan, Lee and Hutch when all are fit.

Would seem an unnecessary signing to me unless we need the cover, incase of injuries but even then we seem to already have numbers? Unless the players we bring in add something different or improve us, then other than the lack of defensive numbers, they would be pointless signings. Whilst instead the money could be better used towards bringing in just one or two quality players that will improve us.