Rhodes "didn't want to take a penalty"

Guest RocketOwl
10 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

This lad is the most prolific striker the championship has seen in the last decade. He is proven quality with a goal scoring record to back that up . Since he has been at Hillsbro he has had no service what so ever , zero . No striker can score goals with no service. Play to his strengths and he scores goals , starve him of the ball and he wont . simples. 

He could have scored from 12 yards out tho? Clearly not:

5 hours ago, billyblack said:

If anyone is interested here is the list of penalty takers in our squad according to transfermarket -

Abdi - scored 12 missed 1

Winnall - scored 4 missed 1

Fletcher - scored 5 missed 1

FF - scored 3 missed 

Nuhiu - scored 4 missed 1 

Hooper - scored 9 missed 3

Matias - scored 5 missed 1

Mcmanaman - scored 1 missed 1

Rhodes - scored 15 missed 4

Wallace  - scored 2 missed 0

Mcgugan - scored 11 missed 0

Jones - scored 2 missed 0

Bannan - scored 4 missed 1

Ironically mcgugan has the best record.

Noone else has taken one. Make of it what you will

Good stats for all those lads. Who's masterstroke was it to put Hutch on the most important pen? 

The third sub should have been someone who was going to take one

26 minutes ago, nilsson said:

Good stats for all those lads. Who's masterstroke was it to put Hutch on the most important pen? 

The third sub should have been someone who was going to take one

Probably his.

If you were picking out a player "most up for it" he'd be it.

He missed, shithappens but he probably feels fuckingawful about it.

He'll realise that he did what he thought best in the moment and it's done with now.  He'll try again to right it the next chance he's given.

If we, as fans, are ever put in that position where opposition players are taking penalties at our end we should make it more intimidating than it was the other night.  We didn't because we were nervous and so much was at stake.  But again, forgivable and not the end of the world and something we'll learn from.

Easy to blame others whilst ignoring our own frailties during unfamiliar, high pressure situations.

5 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

Probably his.

If you were picking out a player "most up for it" he'd be it.

He missed, shithappens but he probably feels fuckingawful about it.

He'll realise that he did what he thought best in the moment and it's done with now.  He'll try again to right it the next chance he's given.

If we, as fans, are ever put in that position where opposition players are taking penalties at our end we should make it more intimidating than it was the other night.  We didn't because we were nervous and so much was at stake.  But again, forgivable and not the end of the world and something we'll learn from.

Easy to blame others whilst ignoring our own frailties during unfamiliar, high pressure situations.

I'm not blaming Hutch. Far from it, he had the bottle to step up.

But that's where the manager should step in. The best penalty taker should be on the first pen. Hutch had never taken one in his career before

We then arrive back where we started.

CC and a lot on here as well as those speaking from experience have stated that "best penalty taker" no longer counts and it is who is most confident "in the moment."

Let's be honest, any professional footballer should really be capable of scoring a penalty the vast majority of the time in normal circumstances.

These sitiations are different.

I should add I've changed my opinion on this over the years.  I can remember going totally mental when Gerard and Terry both missed after getting to penalties following Rooney's sending off and grafting for an hour with 10 men to get there.

They're a lottery because the psychology changes in the very moment the last before yours is taken and either scored/missed and as part of the overall picture.

It can't help but affect your thinking once your name is down and it's your turn next.

Hutch might have scored if we'd won the throw.  We'll simply never know.

6 hours ago, Ronio said:

Was hoping we would see Westwood doing something similar against Huddersfield.

That would have been even worse! we lost that shootout after being 3-0 up!

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 13:56, modboy said:

100% would expect him to dodge the question yes. Never blame your employees in public

Carlos wasn't slating Rhodes, he was asked a direct question and he answered same as he did about FF at the start of the season

6 hours ago, dkenyonqfc2 said:

Carlos wasn't slating Rhodes, he was asked a direct question and he answered same as he did about FF at the start of the season

He got it wrong when under pressure and almost shell-shocked. Repaired the damage as best he could the following day. I was annoyed at the time but on reflection it was just the circumstances that brought out the unfortunate comment. I'll bet he never get caught out again like that.

How do you we know he wasn't the sixth player to take one? There are ten outfield players not just Rhodes. He might be a striker but that doesn't mean he is the best penalty taker! Give him a break! He is mega low on confidence and slating the lad isn't going to do any good! #theresalwaysascapegoat. I though we were all Wednesday but apparently not!

On 2017-5-18 at 22:30, billyblack said:

You missed lineker and shearer

Shearer is only one of a whole host of strikers who was a good penalty taker too, but Lineker? Are you talking about the one he fluffed by tapping it to the keeper against Brazil? Lineker would have equalled Bobby Charlton's record by scoring that one at Wembley, but actually only scored 4 penalties for England. Frank Lampard, a midfield player, scored 9 penalties for England.

So you have chosen two strikers as an example of penalty takers and one of them infamously missed at Wembley, although he was Englands second top goalscorer and joint top if he'd scored. His record was 80% success compared to Bobby Charltons 75%, so not so brilliant at scoring penalties considering they were both such lethal goalscorers.

My example Matt le Tissier took 48 penalties and missed only 1, giving him a 98% record, so i know which player I would chose first! His only miss was still decent and on target, saved by Mark Crossley in his penalty saving prime. Mark Crossley was credited with the best penalty saving record in the Premiership in 2002, having faced 14 penalties and saved 8. He was proudest of the save against Le Tissier and put his success rate down to always diving and only diving at the last second before the ball is kicked. 

In 2016 a survey of the Premier leagues best penalty takers was topped by Matt le Tissier and of the top 13 penalty takers, only 4 were strikers: Beatty, Henry, Kane and Beardsley, the others are midfield players and defenders, so only 30% of the deadliest premiership penalty takers are strikers.

A survey in the Daily Telegraph of the top ten worst premier league penalty takers included 7 strikers, amongst them were prolific scorers like, Robin Van Persie 71% penalty success, Michael Owen 70% and Kevin Philips, who scored 271 goals in 620 games 61%, so obviously some over willing penalty takers should have done their teams a big favour and let the better penalty takers take the penalties like our players did. We apparently picked the 7 best and two had to miss out. 

The decision for who takes penalties in what order is always a team decision and should always be judged on who is best at it and not who has played best in a game. How often have man of the match performances been spoiled by bad penalty misses from star players like Baggio or Ronaldo, or star strikers like Lineker, Defoe, Philips, Van Persie, Walters, Juan Pablo Angel or Colin West?

I would always prefer to see those players stand aside for proper penalty takers like; Pirlo, Lampard, Mark Smith (Centre half for SWFC - club record for 11 in a season), Andy Blair (midfielder SWFC club record scoring 3 penalties in one match).

Coincidentally there was a pre-play off post which showed that the best penalty takers percentage wise at Hillsborough, from competitive penalties taken are; Lewis McGugan  100% (scored 11 out of 11), Jones & Wallace 100% (both 2 out of 2), Abdi 92% (12 out of 13), Fletcher & Matias both 83%, Bannan & Nuhiu both 80%. None of our other strikers have got 80% or more with Forestieri with the lowest conversion rate of 60% and only 50% this season before the play offs yet several posters still chose him as a preferred penalty taker, while statistics showed that Jones, Wallace, Fletcher, Bannan and Nuhiu were all better penalty takers and available while one intelligent poster Alanharper pointed out that, Hunt stepped up to score one in the shootout in "the Simonsen game".

A couple of posters must have been in the know about training results because they chose Lee, while several not in the know posters totally ignored the facts and chose 3 or 4 of our low penalty scoring strikers! So it just goes to prove that facts should never be used in an argument here on Owlstalk and that people that don't want to listen are always the ones that want to be heard the most!

UTO!

On 20/05/2017 at 00:38, legendaryswan said:

Wonder if wel accept Toons 15 million bid if they try again this close season for FF

No chance he still our top scorer with injuries and initial set back at start did well to shake it all of and move forward if ask me. 

On 2017-5-20 at 12:10, Bigblueowl said:

How do you we know he wasn't the sixth player to take one? There are ten outfield players not just Rhodes. He might be a striker but that doesn't mean he is the best penalty taker! Give him a break! He is mega low on confidence and slating the lad isn't going to do any good! #theresalwaysascapegoat. I though we were all Wednesday but apparently not!

I think he would have been 8th as CC had to chose 5 from 7 and the other two were Nuhiu, who I thought had been brought on for the pens and Tom Lees I think, who was consistently one of the best in training and up for it (with maybe a score to settle after deflecting their goal in). Without the help of hindsight I would have put these two in front of Hutchinson, Forestieri, Lee or even Bannan (although, his record is 4 out of 5,he seems to hit so many shots over), but obviously Hutch and Lee must have been putting them away in training so fair play to them. 

End of day the ones who trained better through week took the penalties as already stated. Rhodes wasn't confident he prob a player after so many ups and downs this past year has had his confidence ripped out of him so good on him for not taking on if not confident. If he missed we'd be slagging him off anyway. Some interesting news he wasn't confident vs blunts in playoff final he wasn't one of initial 5. Must be something through his career he's like to avoid if possible. No one means to miss so back off from Hutch and FF (those who are slating them) 

On 2017-5-20 at 09:28, Dagmeister said:

He got it wrong when under pressure and almost shell-shocked. Repaired the damage as best he could the following day. I was annoyed at the time but on reflection it was just the circumstances that brought out the unfortunate comment. I'll bet he never get caught out again like that.

No he did not get it wrong, believe what people are telling you. We were in the car after the match listening to the radio when Carlos was asked outright why Jordan Rhodes did not take a penalty. The interviewer wanted Carlos to have a go at Jordan Rhodes, but Carlos wholeheartedly supported Rhodes and other none penalty takers because they were not the best people for the job. He said straight away that trying to make somebody take a penalty that did not want to take one was the worst thing you could do, but he was always trying to bat off the stupid have a go journalism, which he did as best he could under the circumstances and at no stage did he lose his dignity or have to backtrack. 

3 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

No he did not get it wrong, believe what people are telling you. We were in the car after the match listening to the radio when Carlos was asked outright why Jordan Rhodes did not take a penalty. The interviewer wanted Carlos to have a go at Jordan Rhodes, but Carlos wholeheartedly supported Rhodes and other none penalty takers because they were not the best people for the job. He said straight away that trying to make somebody take a penalty that did not want to take one was the worst thing you could do, but he was always trying to bat off the stupid have a go journalism, which he did as best he could under the circumstances and at no stage did he lose his dignity or have to backtrack. 

That was also my view of what was being said at a very trying time

On 2017-5-17 at 23:20, Dronfield Blue said:

We lost, live with it, best side won.

Rhodes is  the best asset we have.

Best asset we've got? a striker (they score goals)that hasn't the confidence for a free shot from 12 yards, on 50/60k a week, then all I can say is we're doomed