Rhodes "didn't want to take a penalty"

21 minutes ago, Dezzyboy said:

Best asset we've got? a striker (they score goals)that hasn't the confidence for a free shot from 12 yards, on 50/60k a week, then all I can say is we're doomed 

He wasn't one of the first 5 to take one when Udders beat the grunters either DizzyBoy.

55 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Funny how he he's not so honest about Mcgugan.

Lee Bullen had already said in an interview that Lewis was a very talented player who just had to adapt to Carlos's way of playing what else can be said he either wouldn't or couldn't adapt..doesn't mean he's a bad player just hasn't worked out

On 2017-5-23 at 23:25, MAL said:

He wasn't one of the first 5 to take one when Udders beat the grunters either DizzyBoy.

And that bothers me why? He's moved on from there in many ways and is supposed to be a top quality striker according to his wages I know what I'd be saying if I was his team mate and he was earning 30/40k a week more than me 

God I hope for his and all our sake that this thread Vapouries. The new season has begun. I'm right behind all of them. The past is the past. We all make decisions that are liked or not liked in life or for most of you "spacebook". Jordan Rhodes is and will Be a big Cog in the clock were building to play next year

On 17/05/2017 at 23:22, RichSheffWeds said:

Carvalhal said 7 players volunteered - the 5 plus Nuihu and Tom Lees. 

We cant have players at this club with no bottle.

its a joke.

IT'S NO JOKE !

Just think what it was like for the supporters at the time, .................and then think how it must have been for the players on the field !

Some people on here are going over the top with their comments about Jordan Rhodes.

We are all very disappointed that we lost, but that is no excuse for some of the rather unpleasant things that have been said about the man.

Of course it is easy for people who will never be in that highly pressurised situation, to criticise those who were in that situation !!!!!!

Let's have a bit more empathy and understanding  !

Guest RocketOwl

Most of us supporters would have taken one. In time of battle you don't need wimps. Simple. He's the wimpiest player we've ever had.

8 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

Most of us supporters would have taken one. In time of battle you don't need wimps. Simple. He's the wimpiest player we've ever had.

Change your avatar. WAWAW? like hell we are.

so a player is honest with his manager and says he has nerves. Manager picks the 5 players he thinks are the best chance of progressing. we lose. said player is a "wimp". as ive said before lets force Rhodes to walk up there stumble through his nerves and Simonsen it over the bar and then have a year of RocketOwl blaming him for costing us promotion. Forget it. move on, and maybe support our record signing next season rather than constantly boo him and try to get him out like certain members of our support like to do. Hooper, FF, Reach, Nuhiu etc.etc.etc.

24 minutes ago, Loppy said:

Change your avatar. WAWAW? like hell we are.

so a player is honest with his manager and says he has nerves. Manager picks the 5 players he thinks are the best chance of progressing. we lose. said player is a "wimp". as ive said before lets force Rhodes to walk up there stumble through his nerves and Simonsen it over the bar and then have a year of RocketOwl blaming him for costing us promotion. Forget it. move on, and maybe support our record signing next season rather than constantly boo him and try to get him out like certain members of our support like to do. Hooper, FF, Reach, Nuhiu etc.etc.etc.

I have not heard anyone boo Jordan Rhodes at a game.

Think everyone was excited when he became the record signing and are willing him to do well at Wednesday but for a number of reasons not worked out yet. Still confident he will come good.

We are though asked to pay high ticket prices so we are told can afford the best players and don't think it is at all wrong to question someone temperament on a reported £50k per week who didn't want to take one.

Yes it was a pressure situation but he is paid big, big money to deal with that.

Why I have felt pressure taking a pen like that? Of course I would but my god for £50k per week I would have took one naked!

oh ffs are we still on about this ,if you take them you take them if you don't you don't  no mystery no bottling no nothing it was his choice , and for those who have played as a striker , scoring from open play and scoring from a pen is at different ends of the scale . as a striker it's mostely on instinct when you score , if it's a pen you have time to think , and often that causes you to miss it's a different ball game altogether , but no matter it's easier to castigate a player and say i would do this that and the other , well until you are in that cauldron  on the pitch with thirty odd thousand watching you you will never know the feeling ,you will never know the pressure on the player  , we missed two pens  we could have scored another in open play ie Fletchers golden chance , why are these not castigated they contributed to us losing , but hey lets have a crack at  Rohdes cause he didn' offer to take a pen ,sigh

Heard most of CC's interview immediately after the game. Who was the IDIOT doing he interview|? Typical journo tactics!  He tried his damnedest to get Carlos to commit himself on several points, and thanks to Carlos' nous dealing with the press/radio, got tied in knots. He tried his best to get CC to criticise Rhodes for not stepping up to the plate, a decision I incidently abhor, and condemn Rhodes for what he is paid a great deal of money to do.However, Carlos refused to say anything other than that the player said he preferred not to. Then along with the rest of the garbage, he went on and on about CC'c contract, despite being told that the matter was between Carlos himself and the Chairman. Forget about this loud-mouthed, sensation-seeking twerp.    

Edited by Buxtongent
grammer

54 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I have not heard anyone boo Jordan Rhodes at a game.

Think everyone was excited when he became the record signing and are willing him to do well at Wednesday but for a number of reasons not worked out yet. Still confident he will come good.

We are though asked to pay high ticket prices so we are told can afford the best players and don't think it is at all wrong to question someone temperament on a reported £50k per week who didn't want to take one.

Yes it was a pressure situation but he is paid big, big money to deal with that.

Why I have felt pressure taking a pen like that? Of course I would but my god for £50k per week I would have took one naked!

There'll be a section in his contract that says we'll pay you £50k a week, but only if you take a penalty in a play-off shootout. Because that's how footballers' contracts work.

7 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

There'll be a section in his contract that says we'll pay you £50k a week, but only if you take a penalty in a play-off shootout. Because that's how footballers' contracts work.

Think it is more an unwritten assumption that if you are on that much money you do not go missing when the pressure is on.

5 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think it is more an unwritten assumption that if you are on that much money you do not go missing when the pressure is on.

Paying more money doesn't automatically make a footballer more confident that he's going to score a penalty. It's not about 'going missing'.

JR: "Boss, I'm really not confident about this"

CC: "I'll speak to Dejphon about upping your wages"

JR: "Just gimme the ball. I'll take all five kicks if I have to".

21 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

Paying more money doesn't automatically make a footballer more confident that he's going to score a penalty. It's not about 'going missing'.

JR: "Boss, I'm really not confident about this"

CC: "I'll speak to Dejphon about upping your wages"

JR: "Just gimme the ball. I'll take all five kicks if I have to".

I agree that no matter how much money you earn you will still feel pressure.

But if you are happy to sign a contract on £50k per week you should accept being put in pressure situation is something you are expected to deal with which he obviously didn't.

Anyway we are going round in circles and will have to agree to disagree.   

On 2017-5-25 at 09:29, trevdi9 said:

oh ffs are we still on about this ,if you take them you take them if you don't you don't  no mystery no bottling no nothing it was his choice , and for those who have played as a striker , scoring from open play and scoring from a pen is at different ends of the scale . as a striker it's mostely on instinct when you score , if it's a pen you have time to think , and often that causes you to miss it's a different ball game altogether , but no matter it's easier to castigate a player and say i would do this that and the other , well until you are in that cauldron  on the pitch with thirty odd thousand watching you you will never know the feeling ,you will never know the pressure on the player  , we missed two pens  we could have scored another in open play ie Fletchers golden chance , why are these not castigated they contributed to us losing , but hey lets have a crack at  Rohdes cause he didn' offer to take a pen ,sigh

Is that why he has scored about 15 pens in his career