Best Home Fans

MAL

The game he went to at Hillsborough as part of his '93' was the one against Preston.

The atmosphere rose that day after Forestieri got sent off and Buckley was practically tackled at neck height. We had to be the extra man and we responded.

4 hours ago, jimmy shoe said:

Why do we slaughter our own support so much ? He's obviously gone to loads of games as a neutral and we are clearly not as bad as some make out . That and the fact that atmospheres are clearly suffering everywhere !

Exactly, home support at 95% of home crowds across the country is crap.

5 hours ago, ramone said:

Our away support is second to none. Always has been. The 'support' at Hillsborough is garbage unless its a big game. In which case, yes it can rock. The rest of the time its quite embarrassing.

like most grounds then

Apart from the cardiff, villa and brighton in the play off games the atmosphere had been fairly rubbish due to expectancy levels..

In fact the atmosphere vs qpr, wigan and brighton under grey was better..the Wigan one due to flooding and everyone going a bit silly in the head.

Every time we play Leeds and Derby away their fans are very loud..feel like weve only got about 2 or 3 songs most of the home crowd know anyway..that's when they look up from their phones and 3ds's

Edited by HIGHERSTATE

With fans who " detest " going to Hillsborough it's no wonder the atmosphere id hard to get going...perhaps if they sang a bit more, stopped getting on the players back then it might improve. Once again we start winning a few so any thread about fans and the inevitable contributions about how rubbish our fans are...strewth

Edited by daveyboy66

I think Hutch would have something to say about this:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-sam-hutchinson-issues-plea-to-owls-fans-ahead-of-brentford-duel-1-8400432

Saying here the negativity at Hillsborough does affect some of the players.

Would some fans rather lose as long as they can have a moan?

7 hours ago, Dizzys Dad said:

When was the last time any of you came back from an away game, thinking WOW the ir fans were fabulous? Time for liars to reply.

millwall at cold blow lane could make some noise but i'd be a liar if I said  they were fabulous ......definitely the most hostile ground ive ever been to .

Well my take on it having been a regular for 50 odd years is that it can fall a little flat when there is not much happening on the pitch, or we sit back and invite the opposites on, as was the case v Brum and Blackburn.  Error after unforced error breeds frustration and discontent which naturally manifests itself in the groans and moans, no room for booing though.  However, over the past many home players, mangers, opposite mangers and players have said its a great place to play, that the atmosphere can be intense, uplifting for the home team and intimidating for the opposites.  Perhaps it is one of those grounds where all the atmosphere is projected onto the pitch but lost in the stands? or it is only our own viewpoint from where we are sat.  Do think the North is much quieter this season though.  

One of my earliest memories of Hillsborough, when I was a nipper, my Dad used to take us on the South, all three sides of the ground would be signing and chanting except ours, I would ask my Dad when could we sing and chant, "when those around you start" he replied.  Never did get to sing until I was old enough to go on my own on the Kop.

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"