HILLSBOROUGH - THE ULTIMATE SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY GROUND PHOTO THREAD

Here's a few I took earlier! March 84 to be precise FA Cup 6th Round v So'ton. 43k in attendance. Now that's how the ground should look!

Oh and for someone asking earlier, you can clearly see the railings at the back of the Kop!

SotonCupTie2.jpg

SotonCupTie1 1.jpg

SotonCupTie3.jpg

Edited by Utah Owl
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Here's a few I took earlier! March 84 to be precise FA Cup 6th Round v So'ton. 43k in attendance. Now that's how the ground should look!

Oh and for someone asking earlier, you can clearly see the railings at the back of the Kop!

SotonCupTie2.jpg

SotonCupTie1 1.jpg

SotonCupTie3.jpg

Great photos - have you got any more?

SotonCupTie2.jpg

SotonCupTie1 1.jpg

SotonCupTie3.jpg

Bottom pic is that lead of folks stood on the gantry in front of the clock

On 1/2/2017 at 02:13, darklord said:

Bottom pic is that lead of folks stood on the gantry in front of the clock

Game was live on Sky (think it was our first time on) and they shifted it to a Sunday kick-off. It was a boring 0-0 draw and we got hammered in the replay at the Dell.

On 1/2/2017 at 02:03, MrsHall said:

Great photos - have you got any more?

Sadly no. I used to have some others (mainly of the Kop getting it's lid) but they have been lost over the years.

On 01/01/2017 at 12:42, Soul Power said:

Not referring to the North which was a good move and the best stand in the country when erected. I'm referring to the stand where the photo was taken from which is the old shed on the Lepps. They should have built a big new covered standing area for home fans instead of the West stand we have now. In my opinion it was appalling management at the time.

While I was a lover of the old Leppings Lane, and it's partial cover (I've stood in front of the barrier which collapsed in the 'Disaster' many times) it could not have been rebuilt as a standing enclosure and still been used for the '66 World Cup, something the Directors had been planning for years. Even now, with that end as standing, it would not have been allowed since all premiership grounds must be all seater, unfortunately.

Incidentally, it was NOT the first cantilever in England.This 'honour' goes to Scunthorpe who had an albeit smaller stand before we did.

Game was live on Sky (think it was our first time on) and they shifted it to a Sunday kick-off. It was a boring 0-0 draw and we got hammered in the replay at the Dell.

This game was 4 years before sky started with football,think it was shown on itv's THE MATCH or something.

1 hour ago, Buxtongent said:

While I was a lover of the old Leppings Lane, and it's partial cover (I've stood in front of the barrier which collapsed in the 'Disaster' many times) it could not have been rebuilt as a standing enclosure and still been used for the '66 World Cup, something the Directors had been planning for years. Even now, with that end as standing, it would not have been allowed since all premiership grounds must be all seater, unfortunately.

Incidentally, it was NOT the first cantilever in England.This 'honour' goes to Scunthorpe who had an albeit smaller stand before we did.

Yep I know about the one at Scunthorpe it was a hell of a lot smaller but your'e right it was the first. Disagree with you about the lepps. If you take Aston Villa they had two large standing areas for the world cup, the massive covered Holte end and the uncovered terrace behind the other goal. Roker Park was the same, a large covered end called the Fulwell and an open kop like we had. Both were used for the world cup and the covered ends used by home supporters right up to seats being introduced.

I believe this was a model of Eric Taylors dream of Hillsborough after he built the north stand,

the north is the nearest stand with the kop to the left and west to the right

think I'm right in saying it was in the town hall  for a while

Eric Taylors Hillsborough.jpg

1 minute ago, PARKOWL said:

I believe this was a model of Eric Taylors dream of Hillsborough after he built the north stand,

you can actually see a pic in the bottom right of the ground as it was at the time

1 hour ago, PARKOWL said:

Ironically it looks like a "soulless bowl" that we see up and down the country now.

Just not bothered...

31 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Ironically it looks like a "soulless bowl" that we see up and down the country now.

Agreed although its massively ahead of its time here, can you imagine if we had had this by the late 70s early 80s where the stature of the club may have been look at old Trafford in the 90s

Taylor was light years ahead of his time

old-trafford.jpg

5 hours ago, PARKOWL said:

The players entrance to the pitch is off set from the halfway line then too.

3 hours ago, PARKOWL said:

Agreed although its massively ahead of its time here, can you imagine if we had had this by the late 70s early 80s where the stature of the club may have been look at old Trafford in the 90s

Taylor was light years ahead of his time

old-trafford.jpg

who the hell are 'Bro United' lol