HILLSBOROUGH - THE ULTIMATE SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY GROUND PHOTO THREAD

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

The ground gets enough criticism now with what i think is one of the best looking stands in football. It was the first cantilever stand in Europe at the time i think. Would you rather have a Bournemouth style ground. Dont know how they get away with it in the premiership.

Scunthorpe had the first ever cantilever at The Old Showground which was built in 1958.

The North Stand at Hillsborough was the first cantilever to run the whole length of the field. 

Its a shame we never named it The Eric Taylor stand, while it needs a bit of a work to bring the facilities and concourses up to date, from the inside of the stadium the North Stand is still a thing of beauty.

• Like 1

What year was the new South Stand done?  I think I can remember it being done but not sure if I'm dreaming it.  It was right around the time I started going.  I sat on the North when it had wood seats but also sat in the top of the South when it was the family stand and all very new and shiny.

Just not bothered...

31 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

The north stand was way ahead of its time..

Still the best original stand in the country..in my non biased opinion! 

I still find myself staring at the stand on match day - it truly is a wonderful sight, particularly when full. It will look great tomorrow.

If we do end up moving grounds, I hope we take the cant and re-build it as the centerpiece like we did with the old Olive Grove stand in 1899.

2 minutes ago, Animis said:

I still find myself staring at the stand on match day - it truly is a wonderful sight, particularly when full. It will look great tomorrow.

If we do end up moving grounds, I hope we take the cant and re-build it as the centerpiece like we did with the old Olive Grove stand in 1899.

Not a chance.  Moving old buildings costs a fortune.  If we were to move grounds we'd build from scratch from 21st century designs.  Our new ground would look absolutely nothing like Hillsborough.  You only have to look at every ground built since 2000 to see that.

Just not bothered...

1 minute ago, A12owl said:

S36....you must have access to a great source of memorabillia. Are they yours or archive  . Really good to see views of the past. 

Thanks for the memories ..as the song goes.

I just googled them mate . Im not ashamed to say i stole them from there. 

42 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Not a chance.  Moving old buildings costs a fortune.  If we were to move grounds we'd build from scratch from 21st century designs.  Our new ground would look absolutely nothing like Hillsborough.  You only have to look at every ground built since 2000 to see that.

No I understand that - it's just the concept really.

I think it's interesting how people are wanting more different and unique areas; standing; historical 'ends' and maybe integral to this is architects having to design some variation into the bland bowls of the recent past. I see Tottenham have created a large banked 'kop' end into the new White hart Lane, and the inside each quarter of the stands look different, but enclosed by a single roof structure, which doesn't dominate.