Jordan Rhodes and Sheffield Wednesday - Latest

12 minutes ago, steelowl said:

IMHO our 'best chance' was last year 

I hope we do it but I also think it will get progressively harder to fend off the parachute clubs 

I agree with you to an extent.

However, I wonder if stumbling and c0cking about from Derby, Villa and Norwich might be the luck we need.

Let's put it this way.  If the season ended now, would you be more or less optimistic about getting past Leeds, Reading and Huddersfield than you were against Brighton, Hull and Derby last season?

We'd surely be favourites (which i know doesn't always mean a lot in play offs).  The experience of last season will probably count for something if we get to Wembley again though.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

44 minutes ago, nile said:

very surprised with the amount of negativity over rhodes.

proven strikers cost money, and lets be honest rhodes is certainly proven in this league, if you believe that chansiri will do what he promised and take us back to the prem, signing rhodes is a no brainer, taking into account the money we would get for promotion, wether it be this season, next or 3 seasons down the line, rhodes would only benefit us.

its the deadwood we need to ship out, something thats already started

Even I won't deny that having Rhodes on board, doesn't enhance our promotion chances. It's by how much, and at what cost, that's the issue here. It's OK saying that, when we get promotion, that cost won't be relevant. That's true of most players we could sign, many better than Jordan Rhodes. As for us shipping out the deadwood, it's hard to quantify what constitutes deadwood Are we not still signing players who are likely to be termed deadwood in the next window? Certainly, if we go up, most players would be on their way, including Rhodes if we signed him.

8 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

I agree with you to an extent.

However, I wonder if stumbling and c0cking about from Derby, Villa and Norwich might be the luck we need.

Let's put it this way.  If the season ended now, would you be more or less optimistic about getting past Leeds, Reading and Huddersfield than you were against Brighton, Hull and Derby last season?

We'd surely be favourites (which i know doesn't always mean a lot in play offs).  The experience of last season will probably count for something if we get to Wembley again though.

agree considering their available funds and championship experience in their respective managers they are underperforming 

which is opening it up for excellent managerial performances from CC, Monk, and wagner

6 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

That was obvious to everybody, what is also obvious is we didn't.

didn't what?

it is obvious in that we didn't go up - I'm saying last year was easier to get to that last 90 minutes and I'd love the chance to play that match again as a decider who goes up 

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Even I won't deny that having Rhodes on board, doesn't enhance our promotion chances. It's by how much, and at what cost, that's the issue here. It's OK saying that, when we get promotion, that cost won't be relevant. That's true of most players we could sign, many better than Jordan Rhodes. As for us shipping out the deadwood, it's hard to quantify what constitutes deadwood Are we not still signing players who are likely to be termed deadwood in the next window? Certainly, if we go up, most players would be on their way, including Rhodes if we signed him.

i have every faith in chansiri and everyone involved with the finances at the club, all will be well aware of the ffp rules, i understands everyones concerns regarding this, with our recent past still in our memories, but we are a properly run club now, with the right people at the top.

you say we could sign many better than rhodes now? really? when we are in the prem then yes i would maybe agree, but as of now, rhodes is one of the best strikers we could sign for this league and he is still relatively untried in the premier too.

we will only sign rhodes if he fits in with the ffp rules.

9 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Do you think our points return in the last 6 games would have been any different with Rhodes in the team? If so why?

No but why the last six games?  

I do believe it would have been from the beginning of the season and it will be if we sign him from now till the end of the season. 

11 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Do you think our points return in the last 6 games would have been any different with Rhodes in the team? If so why?

1 shot on target v Preston, 0-0 v Wolves. Numerous others 

Not just in the last 6 games, but last season and this we're missing that bite that a natural goalscorer like JR has. We've been so long without one that I think some folk don't even know what we're missing.

The gamble is the money side, none of us know but Chansiri does and he's no fool. If he decides it's worth the gamble then who are we to argue.

For me I'd have him

I think people should look again at the highlights of the play off semi second leg. See the move involving Forestieri and Hooper just before half time. Fit and committed, those two will deliver the goals and results for us.

For the first 15 games or so of this season, Forestieri was a stroppy underperformer. After the international break he came out a different player, almost the Forestieri of last season. Our play at Fulham was the exact opposite of the previous game (Ipswich). The link up between FF and Hooper was back. 

Unfortunately Hooper got injured.

Fortunately, we've managed to get results without him. Fulham was the start of the 1 defeat in 10 run.

But in that 10 match run we've only scored 13. So, in my view, we have missed Hooper. We don't need Rhodes any more than we need a fit Hooper. 

What at we do need, is a way of accommodating the pace and drive of McManaman without undermining the defensive solidity.

What would also be good to have is someone to replace the running of Keiren Lee. But who would be dropped to accommodate this new player? Would we get back Bannan on the wing and the problems that caused?

So forget Rhodes. A nice to have at the right price. But the right price is a fraction of what Boro seem to be asking. At full price, a luxury we don't need.

Guest Copthorneowl
3 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

I think people should look again at the highlights of the play off semi second leg. See the move involving Forestieri and Hooper just before half time. Fit and committed, those two will deliver the goals and results for us.

For the first 15 games or so of this season, Forestieri was a stroppy underperformer. After the international break he came out a different player, almost the Forestieri of last season. Our play at Fulham was the exact opposite of the previous game (Ipswich). The link up between FF and Hooper was back. 

Fortunately, we've managed to get results without him. Fulham was the start of the 1 defeat in 10 run.

But in that 10 match run we've only scored 13. So, in my view, we have missed Hooper. We don't need Rhodes any more than we need a fit Hooper. 

What at we do need, is a way of accommodating the pace and drive of McManaman without undermining the defensive solidity.

What would also be good to have is someone to replace the running of Keiren Lee. But who would be dropped to accommodate this new player? Would we get back Bannan on the wing and the problems that caused?

So forget Rhodes. A nice to have at the right price. But the right price is a fraction of what Boro seem to be asking. At full price, a luxury we don't need.

Excellent post Imo.

Just now, S_W_F_C said:

Why did we have so few efforts on goal? Answer: the supply line was no existent.

Rhodes won't change that fact. 

Of course he will. He will run into the channels and give options... options that the midfielders don't have at the minute.

Ok let's have a look at the stats:

Villa (H) Shots 17 on target 6 won 1-0

Norwich (A) Shots 7 on target 5 Drew 0-0

Burton (A) Shots 8 on target 3 Lost 3-1

Leeds (H) Shots 16 on target 5 lost 0-2

Brentford (A) Shots 19 on target 10! Drew 1-1

Wigan (H) Shots 18 on target 3 Won 2-1

Bristol (H) Shots 17 on target 6 won 3-2

Birmingham (A) Shots 11 on target 2 lost 2-1

Forest (H) Shots 15 on target 6 Won 2-1

Blackburn (A) Shots 9 on target 3 Won 0-1

Brighton (H) Shots 25 on target 5 lost 1-2

Huddersfield (A) Shots 9 on target 3 Won 0-1

Cardiff (A) Shots 11 on target 4 Drew 1-1

QPR (H) Shots 10 on target 4 Won 1-0

Derby (A) Shots 18 on target 8 lost 2-0

Ipswich (H) Shots 14 on target 3 lost 1-2

Fulham (A) Shots 10 on target 2 Drew 1-1

Wolves (A) Shots 9 on target 6 Won 0-2

Preston (H) Shots 9 on target 4 Won 2-1

Reading (A) Shots 18 on target 3 lost 2-1

Barnsley (H) Shots 18 on target 3 Won 2-0

Rotherham (H) Shots 23 on target 5 Won 1-0

Newcastle (A) Shots 13 on target 4 Won 0-1

Preston (A) Shots 8 on target 1 Drew 1-1

Wolves (H) Shots 16 on target 5 Drew 0-0

Huddersfield (H) Shots 10 on target 4 Won 2-0

358 Shots 113 on target Service or Strikers?

13 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

I think you are wrong sadly. On paper you would think Hooper and FF would be a dream duo, but their record together is abysmal, I think it's 7 goals together in 24.

6 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Ok let's have a look at the stats:

Villa (H) Shots 17 on target 6 won 1-0

Norwich (A) Shots 7 on target 5 Drew 0-0

Burton (A) Shots 8 on target 3 Lost 3-1

Leeds (H) Shots 16 on target 5 lost 0-2

Brentford (A) Shots 19 on target 10! Drew 1-1

Wigan (H) Shots 18 on target 3 Won 2-1

Bristol (H) Shots 17 on target 6 won 3-2

Birmingham (A) Shots 11 on target 2 lost 2-1

Forest (H) Shots 15 on target 6 Won 2-1

Blackburn (A) Shots 9 on target 3 Won 0-1

Brighton (H) Shots 25 on target 5 lost 1-2

Huddersfield (A) Shots 9 on target 3 Won 0-1

Cardiff (A) Shots 11 on target 4 Drew 1-1

QPR (H) Shots 10 on target 4 Won 1-0

Derby (A) Shots 18 on target 8 lost 2-0

Ipswich (H) Shots 14 on target 3 lost 1-2

Fulham (A) Shots 10 on target 2 Drew 1-1

Wolves (A) Shots 9 on target 6 Won 0-2

Preston (H) Shots 9 on target 4 Won 2-1

Reading (A) Shots 18 on target 3 lost 2-1

Barnsley (H) Shots 18 on target 3 Won 2-0

Rotherham (H) Shots 23 on target 5 Won 1-0

Newcastle (A) Shots 13 on target 4 Won 0-1

Preston (A) Shots 8 on target 1 Drew 1-1

Wolves (H) Shots 16 on target 5 Drew 0-0

Huddersfield (H) Shots 10 on target 4 Won 2-0

358 Shots 113 on target Service or Strikers?

If that is not evidence we need Rhodes I don't know what will satisfy some folk. Add 1 goal per game and see what extra points we'd have got (16)

Give JR 2 of those shots that were saved/ missed per game and he'd be our leading scorer by now

Edited by Big Ron's Sovereign