Jordan Rhodes and Sheffield Wednesday - Latest

Just now, Holmowl said:

Hooper's goals per chance is way better than Rhodes.

I don't doubt that one bit Holmowl as it most probs includes his time @ Celtic where he got chances galore. Not calling Hooper in any way as I like him a lot.

Referring to posts above, stats are just that stats & never give the full story I guess !

24 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Bet Forest fans had the same ringing endorsements of their chairman when he was flashing the cash. Chansiri won't be spending 10m on one player, Carlos has told us that about 50 times.

It takes some longer than others for that to sink in.

Not sure about that mate. We bid 9 million for Rhodes on a first offer and got turned down.

26 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Bet Forest fans had the same ringing endorsements of their chairman when he was flashing the cash. Chansiri won't be spending 10m on one player, Carlos has told us that about 50 times.

It takes some longer than others for that to sink in.

We were running at a 5mill loss pa under MM. Lord knows what it is now.

1 hour ago, S_W_F_C said:

Do you think our points return in the last 6 games would have been any different with Rhodes in the team? If so why?

Maybe Rhodes could have scored a winner in the 0-0 Wolves game?

We havnt exactly been free-flowing in terms of goal scoring.Hes the type of player that is lethal in front of goal.He doesn't need many chances.I think a player of his calibre has the potential to turn draws into wins and defeats into draws. He will gain us precious points.Do you not think so?

12 minutes ago, Mr Mercury said:

I don't doubt that one bit Holmowl as it most probs includes his time @ Celtic where he got chances galore. Not calling Hooper in any way as I like him a lot.

Referring to posts above, stats are just that stats & never give the full story I guess !

No. I only refer to his goals per chance in the Championship.

1 hour ago, S_W_F_C said:

And you'd trust our supply line would you to feed these runs.

Lack of goals does not just mean sign a striker, if we were missing gilt edged chances every game then fair enough. The truth is we are not.

totally agree, but to say that a forward cannot add to the threat is wrong. He would give us an extra dimension that Bannan and Abdi in particular could thrive on. Now if Rhodes' extra movement brought the best out in these 2 and they created chances based on said different movement, would you say that Rhodes contributed to our strike supply?

59 minutes ago, Mr Mercury said:

Ok, to turn this argument on its head....................

Whilst at Huddersfield & Blackburn, do you think Rhodes had "genuine goal attempt after goal attempt" in order to reach the excellent, consistent season totals he reached year after year ? The answer is most likely no ? My point being, he seemingly took a lot of the chances he got, be-it 5 a match,3 a match or even 1..... . If we continue to create so little chances per game then surely he is exactly the answer we need then !? He's been prolific his whole career, the stats & facts prove it - Boro aside as the manager obviously didn't want him in the first place.

I don't want us to get anywhere near FFP problems but if/when players of this calibre are available and our chairman thinks its workable, its a no brainer for me, completely.

If it becomes common knowledge we can't get him due to the FFP problems you are frequently mentioning then no problem, we move on where/when we can elsewhere. 

And those goals took Huddersfield and Blackburn where? Perhaps his focus on scoring himself, was at the expense of his teams performance. There are plenty of strikers who pile up the consolation goals. 

I'm not necessarily saying Rhodes is one of those, but there is a danger of pointing to his goals record, and thinking he'll be a success here. 

1 hour ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I think it's their honours list that will stand them in good stead a being seen as a big club for plenty of years yet;

• 7 Top League Titles
  • 7 FA Cups
  • 5 League Cups
  • 1 European Cup

Beats anyone who has been in the Championship (Division 2) in the last 30+ years.

Surely L**ds are the biggest club in terms of honours in the Championship....after all, they're Champions of Europe lol

4 hours ago, wilyfox said:

He's 26. 

he`s 27 in a couple of wks I thought he was older he seems to have been around forever ,well I think he is getting towards end of his career some players hit there peak at a younger age then go downhill either with injury ,loss pace, whatever . don't know what villa bid but steve bruce has pulled out of bidding for him in his own words this morning. clearly he knows he aint worth anything like 10 million and not worth 60k a wk . karanka is having a laugh if thinks he can get 10milion and 60k a wk off wage bill. I wish carlos would just give a straight answer like bruce has and say we are not interested .

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

And those goals took Huddersfield and Blackburn where? Perhaps his focus on scoring himself, was at the expense of his teams performance. There are plenty of strikers who pile up the consolation goals. 

I'm not necessarily saying Rhodes is one of those, but there is a danger of pointing to his goals record, and thinking he'll be a success here. 

How many would he have needed to score at Blackburn to meet your approval, 50 per season? He was in an average side. For years, Blackburn couldn't defend. When Duffy and Hanley did finally forge a decent pairing, Gestede and Rhodes were then sold. So, how is it Jordan's fault his goals didn't take them up? 

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

he`s 27 in a couple of wks I thought he was older he seems to have been around forever ,well I think he is getting towards end of his career some players hit there peak at a younger age then go downhill either with injury ,loss pace, whatever . don't know what villa bid but steve bruce has pulled out of bidding for him in his own words this morning. clearly he knows he aint worth anything like 10 million and not worth 60k a wk . karanka is having a laugh if thinks he can get 10milion and 60k a wk off wage bill. I wish carlos would just give a straight answer like bruce has and say we are not interested .

A tad early to be pulling the curtain down on Rhodes' career. In 5yrs, it might be a different story - but even then, he should still be able to finish. He's never had genuine pace to lose. 

35 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

How many would he have needed to score at Blackburn to meet your approval, 50 per season? He was in an average side. For years, Blackburn couldn't defend. When Duffy and Hanley did finally forge a decent pairing, Gestede and Rhodes were then sold. So, how is it Jordan's fault his goals didn't take them up? 

No, it's not his fault, but as I said, plenty of strikers score goals a plenty for average teams. I guess we're all making presumptions  here. Yes, we can be pretty certain Rhodes would have netted a few of those chances we missed, which might have given us the points, but there's no guarantee that his all round game would have been good enough in games where we have secured the points. He's a very good goalscorer, but there are aspects of his game that are distinctly average.

2 minutes ago, wednesdaywizard said:

He needs a big man next to him.

Step forward... Atdhe Nuhiu :ph34r:

I think it entirely probable that a Rhodes FF front two would struggle for goals as much as Hooper FF do.

If we do get Rhodes, we need FF wide, so Rhodes could play with Fletcher. 

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

I think it entirely probable that a Rhodes FF front two would struggle for goals as much as Hooper FF do.

If we do get Rhodes, we need FF wide, so Rhodes could play with Fletcher. 

I think we need FF wide anyway.

That's where all his success last season came from.

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

No, it's not his fault, but as I said, plenty of strikers score goals a plenty for average teams. I guess we're all making presumptions  here. Yes, we can be pretty certain Rhodes would have netted a few of those chances we missed, which might have given us the points, but there's no guarantee that his all round game would have been good enough in games where we have secured the points. He's a very good goalscorer, but there are aspects of his game that are distinctly average.

Which is exactly what you said about Hooper when he signed - and turned out to be wrong once here and bedded in. Rhodes might thrive...there's only one way to find out.