Jordan Rhodes and Sheffield Wednesday - Latest

34 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Which is exactly what you said about Hooper when he signed - and turned out to be wrong once here and bedded in. Rhodes might thrive...there's only one way to find out. 

Hooper does have limitations, but his touch and vision are better than Rhodes

2 minutes ago, wednesdaywizard said:

I think we need FF wide anyway.

That's where all his success last season came from.

Its where he had his success, and where the team had its best success. But the man who matters doesn't seem to want to go back to it. 

1 hour ago, S_W_F_C said:

I used the last 6 games as we have created very little in these games. Why do people think Rhodes would suddenly make a massive difference?

A season is not 6 games long is it,  the impatience and short term view of some posters on here is baffling. 

You have to look at a season in it's entirety to judge how any player, team or coach perform. 

As so far as JR is concerned my opinion is that he would score goals and inevitably be an asset,  whether that's within our budget is down to the powers that be at the club.

Just now, gurujuan said:

Hooper does have limitations, but his touch and vision are better than Rhodes

For me, the biggest limitation Hooper has, is the fact he seems to returns to pre-season overweight every year and then struggles with fitness issues and niggling injuries from there on...

Doubtful he'll ever be our 20 goal a season man, until he sorts this basic discipline issue out.

36 minutes ago, PeakOwl said:

For me, the biggest limitation Hooper has, is the fact he seems to returns to pre-season overweight every year and then struggles with fitness issues and niggling injuries from there on...

Doubtful he'll ever be our 20 goal a season man, until he sorts this basic discipline issue out.

Might be something in that. My preference would be for Hooper, but if it's not going to happen for him, yes, at the right price, Rhodes could do a similar job.

Rhodes is better than what we have, and the fact that he's in such big demand at this level reflects that. But the question is "will he make the difference?". If you think he will, you sign him irrespective of FFP. A non-parachute club will have to break FFP to get out, and that's the chance you take. 'Boro gambled because they were already very close to the line, but we're not. Carvalhistas will point to the fact that we're 6th in the league, but to me we've not played well enough this season consistently to suggest that we'll go up with or without him. Were we parachute, I'd sign him like a flash.

7 minutes ago, Corneliusreeve said:

A season is not 6 games long is it,  the impatience and short term view of some posters on here is baffling. 

You have to look at a season in it's entirety to judge how any player, team or coach perform. 

As so far as JR is concerned my opinion is that he would score goals and inevitably be an asset,  whether that's within our budget is down to the powers that be at the club.

Exactly what I've stated previously, he could just be the one to nudge us over the line this time. However, If the package is out of our reach financially, so be it, we move on or go with what we've got.

34 minutes ago, Mr Mercury said:

Exactly what I've stated previously, he could just be the one to nudge us over the line this time. However, If the package is out of our reach financially, so be it, we move on or go with what we've got.

I think, it's what most are saying, even though some may have more reservations than others

For the price of Rhodes, we could probably get a decent centre back, a midfielder like Jackson Irvine and another pacy attacker. Rhodes is a quality goal scorer at this level but there's no guarantee that he'd improve us. Whereas 2 or 3 quality signings for the same amount could make a big difference and could get us over the line. Going all out for one player is riskier than taking a chance on a couple of players.

45 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Rhodes is better than what we have, and the fact that he's in such big demand at this level reflects that. But the question is "will he make the difference?". If you think he will, you sign him irrespective of FFP. A non-parachute club will have to break FFP to get out, and that's the chance you take. 'Boro gambled because they were already very close to the line, but we're not. Carvalhistas will point to the fact that we're 6th in the league, but to me we've not played well enough this season consistently to suggest that we'll go up with or without him. Were we parachute, I'd sign him like a flash.

But surely you need to take into account our overall improvements - over the last 9 games we would be 2nd? I do think we are going to be better the second half of the season for a number of reasons and really cannot see us finishing outside the top 6, though I do struggle to see us top 2.

If results go our way this weekend I may well start to believe :manager:

Guest wilyfox
21 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Fulham are reported to have made a loan bid for McCormack. If this happened Villa might use the money to finance a similar deal with Middlesbrough for Jordan Rhodes.

Villa might also shoot themselves in the foot by handing McCormack back to Fulham. Daft move.

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

People would have been falling over themselves with joy if we'd signed RM, some moves just don't work out but Villa now have an incredibly expensive mistake on their hands. Who would give them anywhere near 14m for him or 65k a week.

We have a lower level mistake on our hands with Abdi I believe 

Villa are in the process of revamping their midfield. That may rejuvenate McCormack. I can't see them handing him back to Fulham, loan or permanent, mistake or not. The risk is too great. RM could end their playoff hopes. 

8 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

lol but for the record I thought you could only sign for a foreign club 6 months before your deal expired. I'd have been wrong if you have proven that not to be the case. No worries mate.

Aye, Scottish clubs can sign players from England from January onwards when the players contract expires in the summer. Example being Josh Windass to Rangers from Acc Stanley.

Glad I've not offended you pal, I've seen some of the rubbish StudentOwl has previously posted! lol;-) 

Just now, S_W_F_C said:

No mate I'm a hardened owlstalker it takes more than that lol 

I did know the Scottish clubs could but between England and England isn't allowed is it?

Correct.

StudentOwl was trying to convince the world it was UK to UK who couldn't buy (so, Celtic couldn't sign Hourihane on a pre-contract now - but he can, if he's daft enough to!).

17 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

I think in Di Canio's book he tells a story of when Wilson gathers all the players round to tell them of this super star pair we had signed on free transfers, Wilson was spaffing his pants, PDC just shrugged his shoulders and walked off lol 

To be fair to Donnelly he was a player with rising stock when he came, a full international who had a bright future. Injuries ruined him though and he failed not because of a lack of talent. I doubt we ever saw him at full fitness.

7 hours ago, handworth52 said:

Jordan Rhodes 5 years ago worth signing, a player towards end of his career who hardly played in 12 months does nothing in a game if u aint got ball only comes alive in box ,10 million your having a laugh and 60k a wk? at very most in todays crazy football business id say 30k tops and 5 million even then id go else where

End of his career???In his prime at 26 m8....60k a week you kidding,35-40k tops...but agree with the lower price I'd say 7-8m...not his fault he hadn't played either borough one up top and he don't fit....UTO