The Likely Lads

Anyone remember the Likely Lads episode when Terry and Bob tried to avoid learning the score of the England v Bulgaria match?

Tomorrow I am recording the match because I am watching one of my boys play footie kicking off at 12.45, and another of my boys kicking off at 2pm.......both in Huddersfield.

I want to avoid learning the score. All the dads are Town fans and know I am a big Wednesday fan. I will stand on my own away from all the "crowd" (expecting a bumper crowd of about 12) but sadly I think my chances are slim. Might wear ear-defenders and blinkers.

I've only ever done it once for a Wednesday game, when we played away at West Ham in the league cup in the early 2000s. There were extended highlights on TV later so as we were expected to lose anyway I avoided listening to it and decided to watch it on TV without knowing the score.

Anyway,  we somehow went 2-0 up before they pulled one back. Now the thing with TV highlights is that a) you know that every segment they show is going to end with a goal or a near miss, and b) you have no idea how long is left.  It was absolute torture, but we did manage to hold on for the win in the end.

22 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I've only ever done it once for a Wednesday game, when we played away at West Ham in the league cup in the early 2000s. There were extended highlights on TV later so as we were expected to lose anyway I avoided listening to it and decided to watch it on TV without knowing the score.

Anyway,  we somehow went 2-0 up before they pulled one back. Now the thing with TV highlights is that a) you know that every segment they show is going to end with a goal or a near miss, and b) you have no idea how long is left.  It was absolute torture, but we did manage to hold on for the win in the end.

I was on business in Glasgow when we played Chelsea in the 90/91 Rumbelows semi. Had dinner, avoided any tv or radio, went back to my room to watch the highlights.......only to find that it was showing Clydebank v Kilmarnock or similar.

I even hate watching match of the day when I don't know the result.

I can't even bear watching a game 'live' on TV if I had to pause it for some reason, knowing I'm a few seconds behind the action going on in the real world.

Bit like that with a stream too.

First world problems

20 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Hate watching us on the telly...Don't listen to radio commentaries...My ideal scenario for matches I wasn't at were the old "Final score" BBC thingies, when you could tell by the inflection in his voice without even looking...Football encapsulated that was...in one sentence...

Remember East Fife five, Forfar four?

Or was it the other way round?

The reader struggled to get through the rest of the scores as he was being teased by his mates.

Edit - just googled it and apparently East Fife 5 Forfar 4 is a myth....could swear I was watching it, around 1976.

Edited by Holmowl

15 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Remember East Fife five, Forfar four?

Or was it the other way round?

The reader struggled to get through the rest of the scores as he was being teased by his mates.

Edit - just googled it and apparently East Fife 5 Forfar 4 is a myth....could swear I was watching it, around 1976.

2 Ronnies sketch as I recall.

I tried to avoid the score when we played Crystal Palace to determine who would stay up. Unfortunately on my way home I passed loads of red and blue scarves flying out of car windows. So then I knew. At least we play in the same colours as Udders.

STOP PRESS

Watched the first half before going to my younger son's match. Announced as soon as I got to the touch line "Don't say a word about the match...I'm recording the second half". All went swimmingly until a dad arrived late, looking at his pnone, saying "Wednesday have a penalty". He got shushed so at least I didn't know if we scored it.

Got in the car to go to my elder son's match, and immediately realised 5-live was on, but with a combination of loud singing and quick button pressing I got away with that.

At the second match again I told the dads to say nothing about the match. One mum said "What, because they lost?" (bear in mind I live in Huddersfield) but then tried to backtrack when her husband gave her a stern look.

The mist was finally cleared by a late arriving dad. Discussing the boys match I told him our CF had scored six, to which he replied "Town needed him this morning". 

So, when I got home, I knew we had had a penalty, I was pretty sure that Town hadn't scored, and I was fairly sure that we had won. It actually made watching the second half really enjoyable. 

On 15/10/2016 at 17:06, asteener1867 said:

Hate watching us on the telly...Don't listen to radio commentaries...My ideal scenario for matches I wasn't at were the old "Final score" BBC thingies, when you could tell by the inflection in his voice without even looking...Football encapsulated that was...in one sentence...

The teleprinter. When you've been trounced and they print the word eight instead of 8. The final insult.