The Likely Lads

11 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

STOP PRESS

Watched the first half before going to my younger son's match. Announced as soon as I got to the touch line "Don't say a word about the match...I'm recording the second half". All went swimmingly until a dad arrived late, looking at his pnone, saying "Wednesday have a penalty". He got shushed so at least I didn't know if we scored it.

Got in the car to go to my elder son's match, and immediately realised 5-live was on, but with a combination of loud singing and quick button pressing I got away with that.

At the second match again I told the dads to say nothing about the match. One mum said "What, because they lost?" (bear in mind I live in Huddersfield) but then tried to backtrack when her husband gave her a stern look.

The mist was finally cleared by a late arriving dad. Discussing the boys match I told him our CF had scored six, to which he replied "Town needed him this morning". 

So, when I got home, I knew we had had a penalty, I was pretty sure that Town hadn't scored, and I was fairly sure that we had won. It actually made watching the second half really enjoyable. 

Fascinating .

On 17/10/2016 at 10:03, Sultan_Pepper said:

Pointless fact....they remade that episode as a one off with Ant and Dec playing the lead roles. 

Im at a loose end today. I will track that down and watch it, though I suspect Rodney Bewes and Terry Bolam's place in history is quite safe.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 17:06, asteener1867 said:

Hate watching us on the telly...Don't listen to radio commentaries...My ideal scenario for matches I wasn't at were the old "Final score" BBC thingies, when you could tell by the inflection in his voice without even looking...Football encapsulated that was...in one sentence...

No inflections needed trying to push your way to the front of Radio Rentals shop window on Hillsborough Corner in the pouring rain....

#goodolddays...

lol

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 17:24, Holmowl said:

Remember East Fife five, Forfar four?

Or was it the other way round?

The reader struggled to get through the rest of the scores as he was being teased by his mates.

Edit - just googled it and apparently East Fife 5 Forfar 4 is a myth....could swear I was watching it, around 1976.

Found one site that has Forfar 5 - East Fife 4 - back in 1962/63 season apparently, but haven't been able to cross check it

On 17/10/2016 at 11:38, Bristol_Owl said:

Found one site that has Forfar 5 - East Fife 4 - back in 1962/63 season apparently, but haven't been able to cross check it

I was six months old them.

Always loved my Footie but I don't recall that season.

I am convinced I watched the scores and James Alexander Gordon struggled to finish because of an East Fife Forfar result. Around 1972-76. Love to find it.

4 minutes ago, Belgian Blue said:

Don't wanna sound like too much of an anorak but wouldn't the announcer have used their full title of Forfar Athletic?

Depends if he was late for Dixon of Dock Green.....