Games that Flattered to Deceive

On 09/10/2016 at 19:37, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I can't get rid of this quote!

Yeah, if we'd won we'd have finished above Oldham on goal difference but we'd still have been 2 points behind West Ham (they lost their final game).

Too many 2-2 draws cost us the title that season! 

14 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Yeah, if we'd won we'd have finished above Oldham on goal difference but we'd still have been 2 points behind West Ham (they lost their final game).

Too many 2-2 draws cost us the title that season! 

Off top of my head I remember the Wolves at Xmas and Notts County, Isn't the Notts one where Warnock was in charge of them and Big Ron threatened him? 

3 hours ago, MrsHall said:

Swindon, home Dec 1993....wernt kick off delayed to get everybody in? Then in true Wednesday style they shot their load and flopped under expectation....can't remember what position were at stake - was it top?

im sure that game kicked off at 8.30 pm

Anyone under 26 is lying if they don't say Hull at Wembley 2016. Still saddens me to think about it - such a massive prize, one many of us can hardly remember properly.

A first loss of this magnitude for us. We've seen a huge amount of turgid poo , a few glorious moments and some huge let downs before, Palace at home springs to mind, but never really missing out on a promotion, cup win or championship. 

4 hours ago, bradowl said:

Swindon were bottom and were already written off for relegation, we were flying at time and I recall kick off being delayed, finished 3-3.

3-2 up with about 2 minutes left, Watson clean through keeper saves, 30 seconds later 3-3. The one I recall though is Charlton at home a couple of years ago, chance to get revenge for them beating us in cup (with Blades waiting in next round) couldn't get time off work, so look at score during my break, yes 2-0 up after only twenty minutes, going to really hammer em, get home after work to see we had we lost 3-2, another typical day of being a Wednesdayite.

4 hours ago, MrsHall said:

Swindon, home Dec 1993....wernt kick off delayed to get everybody in? Then in true Wednesday style they shot their load and flopped under expectation....can't remember what position were at stake - was it top?

I remember that game. I went to the ticket office, then passed the Swindon team coach as it arrived. I saw John Gorman getting off the coach and a group of four or five Swindon behind me saying to him "Lambs to the slaughter". Gorman just gave a wry smile.

Someone else mentioned about the Watson chance missed when the score was 3-2. The ticket that I got was in the Lower Leppings Lane seating and I was looking straight down the ground towards the Kop. Waddle played an absolute beauty of a through pass that picked Watson out in a crowd of players. Watson ran clear but the keeper saved. The rest is history.

cant comment on the recent Wembley visit as I didn't go but I went to every match at the old Wembley vs arsenal in both the league cup and fa cup.when we threw away the last fa cup tie ,i remember sitting at full time thinking i hate this damn place but ill be back next year to get revenge on Arsenal.23 years later and i still despise them and Wembley

Been watching Wednesday for over 30 years now, seen us relegated in 1990, Promoted and Leaugue Cup glory in 1991, finishing 3rd in 91/92 and losing 2 league games to Sheffield United along the way, the 93 Cup Finals and European games so plenty of ups and downs but Hull in the play off final was most disappointing performances I've witnessed, completely gutless and undeserving of the tens of thousands of people who had more than likely skinted themselves for the months to come to pay for themselves and there families to travel and witness it, I already have the hotel booked for play off weekend this season just in case ( I booked it whilst watching Barnsley win their play off final ) but honestly don't know if I could face the disappointment of a performance like that again.

Worst thing about that play off final is that we have been pretty good (in recent times) at delivering a performance in a big game, particularly with a large expectant crowd. 

We were so good for three quarters of the play off semi finals (let's not speak about the first half of the away leg) and we put in a real masterclass against Cardiff to tie up our play off position. 

Just never got going at Wembley, which was a real shame. 

22 April 1970.....just had to win a home game against a Man City side who weren't interested (they had the Cup Winners Cup Final the following week) and our First Division status was preserved. If we played only half as well as we had at Old Trafford a few days earlier it wouldn't be a problem.

As Eric Taylor said afterwards.....22 players played for Sheffield Wednesday that night and still we couldn't win. Never forget Mike Doyle's penalty at 0-0....he hit it like a gentle back pass and it probably wouldn't have reached the back of the net if Grummitt hadn't stopped it. 

At that time I'd never, ever contemplated that we might have to play league games against teams like Bolton, Oxford and Charlton; they seemed akin to non-league. But now we were. I thought it was the end of the world. 

I probably will look back on this years Wembley defeat & think 'what if'.

We did have everything going for us. The backing, the lack of pressure as we were the underdogs, we were playing some great stuff in the lead up. We had no injuries too, whilst Hull had lost their keeper. I felt like our guys were going to want it more too.

I've never been more disappointed though. I'd have probably cried had we lost putting up a fight. But on the whistle I just felt massively deflated...rather than upset.

Still the most amazing day to be a part of, everything up until kick-off was surreal. 

The game just didn't get close.

4 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

We did have everything going for us. The backing, the lack of pressure as we were the underdogs, we were playing some great stuff in the lead up. We had no injuries too, whilst Hull had lost their keeper. I felt like our guys were going to want it more too.

I've never been more disappointed though. I'd have probably cried had we lost putting up a fight. But on the whistle I just felt massively deflated...rather than upset.

Still the most amazing day to be a part of, everything up until kick-off was surreal. 

I couldn't get to the game.

But I agree about feeling deflated.

As soon as the goal went in I really knew it was over, and just sat there numbly watching it finish

I never even believed we would score with Helan, just no spark there.

Awful experience and I get a huge sinking feeling thinking about it now.

This is tricky to differentiate between flattering to deceive and rank bad performances. So, trying to stick to the spririt of the OP:

1. The tedious 0-0 v Carlisle in the final game of the 79-80 promotion season. Flat as a panacake.We were third in the end behind Grimsby!!

2. Colchester 1 v 1 away draw in the Mind The Gap run-in. Seemed like it was all a false hope of catching the enemy.

3. Losing at home to Scunthorpe Utd in 4th Round of FA Cup in the 69-70 relegation season. At that stage it looked like a good cup run could spur us on even though we were bottom of the League (false hope). Had just beaten WBA in 3rd Round despite Tony Brown scoring the best goal I've ever seen by an opposition player at Hillsborough.

4. Getting torn to shreds by Watford in the 81-82 run in. 3rd with five games to go (flattered to deceive) as they destroyed us. Heartbroken all through the allotments behind the away end and first inkling that the wonderful Big Jack might not be the man to take us back to Division One.

7 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

This for me aswell, prior to kick off I was confident of our chances, as said majority of the season we had played some fantastic stuff and looked a real threat attacking teams. However, after the first half, it was kind of just waiting for Hull to score. I do remember Curtis Davies making an absolute match winning tackle on Forestieri, which the form he'd been in I would have bet my house he'd have scored. Apart from that we didn't even test the keeper. Then late stoppage time and Jeremy Helan blasts the ball over the bar, our last real crack of the whip, that summed it up and you knew it wasn't going to be our day. 

On 10/9/2016 at 20:55, Utah Owl said:

Chelsea 4-4 league cup QF.

At half time we were flattered into believing we were well and truly on our way to Wembley. Boy were we deceived!

This, for sure.  After years of heartbreak we were 3-0 up against a much fancied side, and the semi finals looked a formality.  A goal staright from the kick off by an unknown player changed things dramatically.

We were 3-0 up against Man Utd, think it was Boxing Day, when I said to a complete stranger, "they'll not come back from that ". They did.

On 10/11/2016 at 14:46, fredmciverslovechild said:

22 April 1970.....just had to win a home game against a Man City side who weren't interested (they had the Cup Winners Cup Final the following week) and our First Division status was preserved. If we played only half as well as we had at Old Trafford a few days earlier it wouldn't be a problem.

As Eric Taylor said afterwards.....22 players played for Sheffield Wednesday that night and still we couldn't win. Never forget Mike Doyle's penalty at 0-0....he hit it like a gentle back pass and it probably wouldn't have reached the back of the net if Grummitt hadn't stopped it. 

At that time I'd never, ever contemplated that we might have to play league games against teams like Bolton, Oxford and Charlton; they seemed akin to non-league. But now we were. I thought it was the end of the world. 

Changed my mind, this for sure !    I went to Old Trafford which we fully expected to lose against Best, Law, Charlton et al.   2-0 down at half time, but amazinmgly we pulled it back to 2-2.  We were so excited coming back.  Then it was obvious City wanted us to stay up, and we still couldn't do it.   I was sure it was the end of the world!