Games that Flattered to Deceive

After top ten games I dwelt on a few stinkers.....

1. Beat Charlton 5-4 after being 3-1 down, a god awful game Charlton even with Euro footballer of the year Simonsson (I think) were awful, we weren't much better but we didn't have to be.
  2. Promotion Party v Carlisle under Big Jack a very tepid  0-0 with a big crowd in the ground.
  3. A mid season 0-0 with Shrewsbury  under Ashurst, missed a few chances but poor.
  4. FA cup 2nd replay having had two creditable draws with Everton under Wilkinson, we brought them back to Hillsborough. Cut through us like a hot knife through butter. 0-5.
  5. A few games against Fulham in the 60's they were poor but had a habit of pinching a point.
  6. Think it was the Bob Bolder debut, we were riding high in the early season. Against the odds Blackburn despatched us 3-0.
  7. The Sherridan nightmare v Oxford just before League Cup final, he couldn't find a pass, he missed a penalty and we lost 3-0. Still did the double though Cup and Promotion.  

The play off final v Hull - didn't turn up.

2nd leg of league cup semi final v Man Utd - didn't turn up.

Last game of season v Forest under Atkinson - didn't turn up

Home FA Cup QF v Coventry in 87 - didn't turn up

Home FA cup QF v Wimbledon - didn't turn up

Last game of season v Palace - not good enough

19 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:
  1. FA cup 2nd replay having had two creditable draws with Everton under Wilkinson, we brought them back to Hillsborough. Cut through us like a hot knife through butter. 0-5.

God I remember those days - we could never beat Everton - I used to hate playing them in the mid to late 80s. That was in the days when FA cup replays went on and on until there was a winner. I thought that was the third replay. I thought we drew with them at Hillsborough initially, then went back to their place where we drew again, then a coin throw determined we would play again at Goodison where we drew again and then brought them back to Hillsborough. Might be wrong, it was a long time ago. I was chuffed as I thought we'd beat them at our place. How wrong I was - losing 5-0. I couldn't believe it. I wasn't at the match - couldn't attend that night and was glad I didn't.

1. 2-2 vs Derby County FA Cup 3rd Round replay at Hillsborough on 6th January 2008 lost on Penalties 4-2. 

2. Losing to Plymouth on my Birthday 28th October 2008 1-0 against Plymouth Argyle at Hillsborough.  

3. 0-0 vs Swansea City at Hillsborough on 21st March 2009. 

Edited by aeroswfc

For me the most disappointing time I had as a Wednesday fan were the three Wembley visits in 93. After beating the blunts at Wembley in the FA cup semi-final (one of the best moments of being a Wednesdayite) I was so full of optimism for the final. Arsenal beat us in the league cup final but I was sure we'd do them in the FA cup final. I'd splashed out a fortune on tickets for that and we had really good seats just in front of all the players' wives. I then queued for ages on a Sunday morning to get tickets for the replay which I think was on the Thursday night back at Wembley. Looked like it was heading for penalties and we all know what happened then - gutting and a desperately sad journey back from Wembley.

The other one that springs to mind is the Forest game where we were relegated in 1990. I cried for nearly a week after that - my parents didn't know what to do with me.

I know some people will say the Wembley final last season but I missed it - I was flying to Portugal at the time. I was gutted I couldn't be there but the holiday helped to take my mind off the loss at least. It's only really this season where the enormity of that result has hit home.

There have been many rough matches that have left me feeing terrible but when you get the good times, they more than make up for the bad.

2 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

After top ten games I dwelt on a few stinkers.....

1. Beat Charlton 5-4 after being 3-1 down, a god awful game Charlton even with Euro footballer of the year Simonsson (I think) were awful, we weren't much better but we didn't have to be

How the chuff can that 5-4 v Charlton be classed as a "stinker"?

Most of us who were there remember it as a classic game / comeback / Gritt o.g. regardless of the mediocre quality of the teams - and that Wednesday side wasn't exactly poor, it made the FA cup semi a few months later.

2 hours ago, Owl 44 said:

God I remember those days - we could never beat Everton - I used to hate playing them in the mid to late 80s. That was in the days when FA cup replays went on and on until there was a winner. I thought that was the third replay. I thought we drew with them at Hillsborough initially, then went back to their place where we drew again, then a coin throw determined we would play again at Goodison where we drew again and then brought them back to Hillsborough. Might be wrong, it was a long time ago. I was chuffed as I thought we'd beat them at our place. How wrong I was - losing 5-0. I couldn't believe it. I wasn't at the match - couldn't attend that night and was glad I didn't.

Your right, it was the 3rd replay, remember everyone (including me) crying out for Wilko to play Chamberlain, he did, dropped Madden to make way for him, shows Wilko knew better than us/me. Strangely don't remember anyone leaving at half time, despite already being 5 down. Ground would be almost empty except for away end nowadays.

Guest minsk owl

31st Aug 1968 ..................   just beaten  Man U    5 - 4

4th Sept  1968 ..................  lost  3 - 1 away to Exeter in the 2nd round of the League Cup

I am not truly sure of the meaning of the OP's question but I guess for me it would be the Luton game back in the days of Jack Charlton when we won 3-0 away from home with a brilliant performance looking promotion contenders all the way only to promptly getting beaten at home to a poor Wrexham side by the same scoreline in, I think, the next game (obviously relying on fading memory).