Official January Transfer Window Thread

21 minutes ago, ozzieowl said:

9m for Hogan jeez. Doesn't seem that long ago I watched him play in same team as my nephew at stocksbridge ps. 

He was very quick but wouldn't ever imagine be valued at 9m 

Another one that slipped the net when we were penniless. 

Id never heard of him until I saw his name on here but it shows our old scouting network must have been diabolical if there's players like this under our nose and we didn't see them. 

Just now, vulva said:

Hogan played at Stocksbridge like Vardy did. 

Reading have bid £9m. We are getting left behind. That's an observation, not a criticism. 

I thought similar too mate, but on the other hand we could well have a few irons in the fire as our business is generally done quietly. 

Guest domSWFC

I'd love it if we signed Sharp.

Put him in the net in training and let Forestieri take shots at his face. Never actually play him. Just take him away from the pigs.

1 minute ago, David1867 said:

I thought similar too mate, but on the other hand we could well have a few irons in the fire as our business is generally done quietly. 

Reading spent about less than half than what we did this summer and strengthened a huge amount. Ditto Huddersfield (both figures taken from transfermarkt). Now the likes of Reading can afford to spend nearly £10 million on a player to launch a promotion bid. We can't. 

Not saying we're being left behind, but you can't help but feel when you compare how the above two have spent their money, we're going to find it a struggle relative to these clubs this January to both strengthen to the same extent and stay within FFP boundaries. We're going to have to find bargains out there

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

Reading spent about less than half than what we did this summer and strengthened a huge amount. Ditto Huddersfield (both figures taken from transfermarkt). Now the likes of Reading can afford to spend nearly £10 million on a player to launch a promotion bid. We can't. 

Not saying we're being left behind, but you can't help but feel when you compare how the above two have spent their money, we're going to find it a struggle relative to these clubs this January to both strengthen to the same extent and stay within FFP boundaries. We're going to have to find bargains out there

I agree 100% pal. It's all about getting value for money for us. 

36 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

That may be true, but we should be further down the line. Not many championship sides, if any, will have two players the calibre of Abdi, and Forestieri We have to make that count, we have enough good players to support those two, but we have to build our challenge around those two. We have to change the system to get the best out of those two, or what was the point in signing them.

2 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

This is just my observation but didn't reading get taken over before us yet they have spent nowhere near what we have (might be about to change)

For the record I don't think Hogan will go there.

Reading are in the middle of changing hands again (Chinese ownership?).

On 12/20/2016 at 17:04, StudentOwl said:

StudentOwl's obscure foreign January shopping list:

Andrija Zivkovic.    20 year old left-footed attacking wide right player for Benfica

Ridgey Haps (no, seriously :biggrin: ).    23 year old defensive wide left player for AZ. Lightening quick, gets loads of assists for a LB too

Onyinye Ndidi.    20 year old 6 and a half foot tall defensive midfielder. Beast. Probably way out of our league though

Bonus buys for summer:

Hans Hateboer or Joost van Aken. Right and left-footed CB's respectively for Grongingen and Heerenveen in the Eredivisie. Both 22, both tall, both good

Any of these would be great lol   

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Ndidi is about to join Leicester so yeah, he's miles out of our league. The rest would be very good though.

Even though our defence is pretty good I think defensive solidity is absolutely critical and we should always aim to concede the absolute minimum of goals. For me, a lot of the goals we concede come from wide areas, because our centre halves are very good whereas our full backs are much more average and for me this is the area that needs improving most in the team. Couple of ideas, please add to them

Right Back:

Callum Paterson (Hearts)

Tendayi Darikwa (Burnley)

Hildeberto Pereira (Forest)

Andy Yiadom (Barnsley)

Left Back

Jonas Knudsen (Ipswich)

Craig Forsyth (Derby)

2 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Even though our defence is pretty good I think defensive solidity is absolutely critical and we should always aim to concede the absolute minimum of goals. For me, a lot of the goals we concede come from wide areas, because our centre halves are very good whereas our full backs are much more average and for me this is the area that needs improving most in the team. Couple of ideas, please add to them

Right Back:

Callum Paterson (Hearts)

Tendayi Darikwa (Burnley)

Hildeberto Pereira (Forest)

Andy Yiadom (Barnsley)

Left Back

Jonas Knudsen (Ipswich)

Craig Forsyth (Derby)

I don't think we should be rearranging the deckchairs at full back again, while our forward line continues to miss the iceberg from 6 yards

Btw, Ipswich downgrading from Cresswell, to Mings, to Knudsen, is one of the reasons they're sh*te 

I think Nugent would be a shrewder capture than Rhodes. Knows the championship course very well and has had success at this level in the past.

I don't think for one minute that the upcoming January window will be a busy one for us. The recent steering club meeting suggested we're very mindful of falling foul of FFP and that we weren't going to take the risk?

Personally I think we only need a centre back and maybe another forward. I understand the concerns with regards to both full-back positions but I don't see us addressing those problems until the summer.

16 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I think Nugent would be a shrewder capture than Rhodes. Knows the championship course very well and has had success at this level in the past.

I don't think for one minute that the upcoming January window will be a busy one for us. The recent steering club meeting suggested we're very mindful of falling foul of FFP and that we weren't going to take the risk?

Personally I think we only need a centre back and maybe another forward. I understand the concerns with regards to both full-back positions but I don't see us addressing those problems until the summer.

I think the only chance we will go for Rhodes is if Hooper's injury is months worse than the club is letting on. 

Nugent would make sense as cover for Fletcher, if Carlos believes Fletcher is a "must start" player. Upto Ipswich he had been the first named striker when fully fit, and I hope that stays the case. But I wonder if Carlos is reverting back to Hooper/FF as his first choice pair, in which case Nugent would be cover for our Plan B striker, which makes no sense at all halfway thru the season.

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I think the only chance we will go for Rhodes is if Hooper's injury is months worse than the club is letting on. 

Nugent would make sense as cover for Fletcher, if Carlos believes Fletcher is a "must start" player. Upto Ipswich he had been the first named striker when fully fit, and I hope that stays the case. But I wonder if Carlos is reverting back to Hooper/FF as his first choice pair, in which case Nugent would be cover for our Plan B striker, which makes no sense at all halfway thru the season.

I don't think we will be signing back up players January. We have loads of them.

I have said all along the same as great big galaa think we will sign a centre back and a attacker, but good ones.