Official January Transfer Window Thread

8 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Even though our defence is pretty good I think defensive solidity is absolutely critical and we should always aim to concede the absolute minimum of goals. For me, a lot of the goals we concede come from wide areas, because our centre halves are very good whereas our full backs are much more average and for me this is the area that needs improving most in the team. Couple of ideas, please add to them

Right Back:

Callum Paterson (Hearts)

Tendayi Darikwa (Burnley)

Hildeberto Pereira (Forest)

Andy Yiadom (Barnsley)

Left Back

Jonas Knudsen (Ipswich)

Craig Forsyth (Derby)

I would like us to take a gamble on Patterson but as it's just been mentioned I can't see us signing a 3rd right back and 4th left back in January

If we're going to overload the squad I hope it's in creative and attacking areas 

Aston Villa have today been linked with a move for Hull City star Robert Snodgrass.

The Scottish winger is currently in a contract stand-off with the Tigers with several clubs interested in signing him in the January transfer window.

Snodgrass is well-known to Villa manager Steve Bruce, who signed the player from Norwich City in 2014 and Villa fans are hoping that could be enough to persuade him to drop down to the Championship.

1 hour ago, Southie_Owl said:

I would like us to take a gamble on Patterson but as it's just been mentioned I can't see us signing a 3rd right back and 4th left back in January

If we're going to overload the squad I hope it's in creative and attacking areas 

No that's true, some of the more average full backs need getting rid of really but I doubt it'll happen.

I do think full back is a problem though - so many of the goals we concede come from our full backs either being skinned or miles out of position, meaning the opposition winger has time to pick out the perfect cross. Think how many times this season we've had big trouble off opposition wingers - Knockaert for Brighton, Ince tore us a new one against Derby, Ryan Kent looked really dangerous for Barnsley, and there are plenty more examples. Yes goalscoring is important but the more we can keep out the better.

A new right back would have a huge impact on the number of goals we score and chances we create, in my opinion. 

The way we play leaves our fullbacks wide open as the opposition come inside to cover our wingers and the movement of our central midfielders. Our fullbacks are the only players that provide us with genuine width and we should be able to use them to stretch the opposition. Palmer and Hunt aren't good enough to exploit the space and time they get in advanced positions.

3 minutes ago, Random Task said:

A new right back would have a huge impact on the number of goals we score and chances we create, in my opinion. 

The way we play leaves our fullbacks wide open as the opposition come inside to cover our wingers and the movement of our central midfielders. Our fullbacks are the only players that provide us with genuine width and we should be able to use them to stretch the opposition. Palmer and Hunt aren't good enough to exploit the space and time they get in advanced positions.

Yep. Considering how vital the fullbacks should be to the system we play, it's surprising that they seem to be our weakest players in the first 11. Stronger fullbacks could make the world of difference to our team, in my opinion.

13 hours ago, vulva said:

Hogan played at Stocksbridge like Vardy did. 

Reading have bid £9m. We are getting left behind. That's an observation, not a criticism. 

He did . Saw him many times at Braken Moor. Always had plenty of pace and an eye for goal. 

Just show , like Vardy , there are rough diamonds playing in the lower leagues if you have scouts putting in the miles watching non league games 

49 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yep. Considering how vital the fullbacks should be to the system we play, it's surprising that they seem to be our weakest players in the first 11. Stronger fullbacks could make the world of difference to our team, in my opinion.

I think the full backs are constrained by the system, not encouraged by it. This might change, now Carlos has relented, and employed a defensive midfielder. In the other system, early last season, our full backs were flying

Just now, gurujuan said:

I think the full backs are constrained by the system, not encouraged by it. This might change, now Carlos has relented, and employed a defensive midfielder. In the other system, early last season, our full backs were flying

You're right: having a defensive midfielder ready to drop back onto the toes of the central defenders means that the onus is then on the fullbacks to get forward and provide the width, which is a system that seemed to disappear for much of the first part of this season.

But since the start of last season, Pudil, Hunt and Palmer have provided six assists between them, with four of these coming from Pudil. If we're going to go back to a system that relies on the fullbacks so much, it would be nice to have fullbacks who provide a bit more quality on the ball.

39 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

You're right: having a defensive midfielder ready to drop back onto the toes of the central defenders means that the onus is then on the fullbacks to get forward and provide the width, which is a system that seemed to disappear for much of the first part of this season.

But since the start of last season, Pudil, Hunt and Palmer have provided six assists between them, with four of these coming from Pudil. If we're going to go back to a system that relies on the fullbacks so much, it would be nice to have fullbacks who provide a bit more quality on the ball.

Maybe we will see more from our full backs, now we have altered the system. Part of the problem was, that they didn't really push forward with any conviction, knowing there was nobody to cover if they lost the ball. Hopefully that will change now, and our full backs will be used to provide the width. I can remember those first few games last season, when Hunt was pretty much camped in the opponents penalty area

Ah, I remember so distinctly saying back in spring that we should have invested in new first-team level fullbacks. I remember being told that it would be a relative waste of money as they contribute very little to the team and don't make a big difference...

*Wistfully looks into the middle distance and sighs*

Guest wilyfox
10 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Ah, I remember so distinctly saying back in spring that we should have invested in new first-team level fullbacks. I remember being told that it would be a relative waste of money as they contribute very little to the team and don't make a big difference...

We did on one side...Reach. Admittedly, I am losing a little patience with Hunt and Palmer on the right side. They both blow hot and cold. Neither offer that much going forward, and prone to the odd lapse at the back. Hence, Darikwa on loan for me. 

18 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Do you ever get bored of trying to paint yourself as some kind of footballing oracle fighting against the tides of ignorance on here?

Nobody likes a know-it-all, you know!

:duntmatter:

9 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Do you ever get bored of trying to paint yourself as some kind of footballing oracle fighting against the tides of ignorance on here?

I don't, no :biggrin:. Because normally when I say owt, no-one says anything and nothing really comes of it. But it feels that every single ruddy time that someone says I'm wrong and it gets into a multi-page argument about it (Fullbacks not being good enough, Sougou being no good, Forestieri's lack of celebration being an indicator something was up) I end up being right... meanwhile I get insulted and 100 negs for my troubles for holding that opinion

lol    

I've been told I'm wrong plenty of times on here and I've ended up being right in the end, I don't bother pointing them out! I only ever bring it up being 'right' when I know I've had to face massive aggro for coming out and saying what I've said... all the other times I couldn't give a damn and my money's on no-one else caring about it either :biggrin:  

Edited by StudentOwl

Just now, S_W_F_C said:

For all those slating our full backs it's the most difficult position to play in our team by a million miles

No cover when defending and offer all our width when attacking.

Fair comment, and our full backs that are so terrible kept a clean sheet against Barnsley who then went to score 4 times at Cardiff (who's defence recently drew 0-0 against Brighton)

We have much more important areas to improve than full backs imo 

26 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

We did on one side...Reach. Admittedly, I am losing a little patience with Hunt and Palmer on the right side. They both blow hot and cold. Neither offer that much going forward, and prone to the odd lapse at the back. Hence, Darikwa on loan for me. 

Fun fact, between them Palmer and Hunt have played a total of 75 league games at right back, providing a grand total of one assist. 

Tom Lees the same number of assists in 20 fewer games

6 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

For all those slating our full backs it's the most difficult position to play in our team by a million miles

No cover when defending and offer all our width when attacking.

No doubt about that mate, it's a grueling position and job with our setup. But you compare Hunt and Palmer's assist and goal tally to other attacking full backs in the Championship and they're just very, very poor in comparison. Lack of coverage and reliance on width means their job is difficult, but they shouldn't be that ineffective. Pudil, although having a poor season, has still managed 3 goals and 4 assists in 50 games... why can't our right backs that have to endure exactly the same role manage the same? 

Edited by StudentOwl

10 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I don't, no :biggrin:. Because normally when I say owt, no-one says anything and nothing really comes of it. But it feels that every single ruddy time that someone says I'm wrong and it gets into a multi-page argument about it (Fullbacks not being good enough, Sougou being no good, Forestieri's lack of celebration being an indicator something was up) I end up being right... meanwhile I get insulted and 100 negs for my troubles for holding that opinion

lol    

I've been told I'm wrong plenty of times on here and I've ended up being right in the end, I don't bother pointing them out! I only ever bring it up being 'right' when I know I've had to face massive aggro for coming out and saying what I've said... all the other times I couldn't give a damn and my money's on no-one else caring about it either :biggrin:  

Just every time I have to defend myself for pages and pages I end up being right... 'tis quite satisfying to turn around and say 'I told you so' to the ether that is Owlstalk (Not that anyone cares :ph34r:)

And what about the times you will have got into arguments and you did end up being wrong, or does that never happen because of your vast superior football knowledge? Do those people that were right then bring it back up to you months later, to tell you that you were wrong, or is it just you that likes to say I told you so? :biggrin:

And who cares about getting negged seriously lol

edit. Dam I can't neg myself anymore lol

Edited by RichieB

4 minutes ago, RichieB said:

And what about the times you will have got into arguments and you did end up being wrong, or does that never happen because of your vast superior football knowledge? Do those people that were right then bring it back up to you months later, to tell you that you were wrong, or is it just you that likes to say I told you so? :biggrin:

edit. Dam I can't neg myself anymore lol

Just negged you because xmas is the time of giving lol

Just now, RichieB said:

I'll neg this post now just for the fun of it :biggrin:

I'm not sure I've ever got into multi-page arguments on here and been wrong. I've definitely been wrong, but as I say, it only ever seems to be when it goes off into massive multi-paged bashings that a few months down the line I end up being correct.

As for caring about being negged... why do you think I put the Sid James face after saying it? If my tongue was any further in my cheek I reckon it'd poke through!

Neg away my good man... just know that I'll be having a sleepless night because of it :sad: