What the rest of the league are getting up too. (Transfer Update)

1 hour ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Derby were the bookies favourites last season at this time, with Brentford, Wolves, Ipswich all highly favoured along with Middlesborough and Hull.

I think Newcastle or Norwich will win an automatic spot, but I don't think both will win automatic this season. If Norwich can sign Ross M from Fulham, then I would put them down as most likely, because their team is established and can hit the ground running at this level, having the bulk of the team that got them promoted last time, but doing it a second time can be a lot harder than doing it first time around.

Inconsistency is something that most of the ex prem teams suffer from when they come down to the championship, so I am hoping that Newcastle struggle to adapt and that Benitez get's put under pressure if a few results slip away from them, but over the season you would expect to see Newcastle and Norwich finishing in the top six.

Although I think we could get more points in the bank in the early part of the season due to our established playing style and enhanced foward line which should see us finish in or around the top six, I would be a lot more confident if we could get a decent centre half in who can stay fit for 90+% of the games and another decent left back to challenge Pudil.

Defo need a CB and LB to challenge Pudil. If I was gonna be greedy I'd want a better RB too but happy to go to Jan with Hunt.

1 hour ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Derby were the bookies favourites last season at this time, with Brentford, Wolves, Ipswich all highly favoured along with Middlesborough and Hull.

I think Newcastle or Norwich will win an automatic spot, but I don't think both will win automatic this season. If Norwich can sign Ross M from Fulham, then I would put them down as most likely, because their team is established and can hit the ground running at this level, having the bulk of the team that got them promoted last time, but doing it a second time can be a lot harder than doing it first time around.

Inconsistency is something that most of the ex prem teams suffer from when they come down to the championship, so I am hoping that Newcastle struggle to adapt and that Benitez get's put under pressure if a few results slip away from them, but over the season you would expect to see Newcastle and Norwich finishing in the top six.

Although I think we could get more points in the bank in the early part of the season due to our established playing style and enhanced foward line which should see us finish in or around the top six, I would be a lot more confident if we could get a decent centre half in who can stay fit for 90+% of the games and another decent left back to challenge Pudil.

I think this is right. Norwich are well placed to go straight back up as Hull and Burnley did last season, and for the same reasons. They are yo-yo sides that know this league and have kept a fairly stable squad.

Newcastle on the other hand don't have a manager or players with experience of this league. They are also in danger of believing the hype that they will walk the league. Likelihood is they will start OK but as the wear and tear of playing in the Championship starts to take its toll they will struggle and fall off the pace. With the strength of squad and quality of manager they may pull together and gel as a unit but might have too much to do to get into the top two.

My money is on Norwich to win the league leaving it to ourselves and Derby to slug it out for the other automatic promotion spot. Brighton and Ipswich will be snapping at our heels.

Newcastle spent over £75 million on transfer fees on players last season and still managed to get

relegated! 

Have to say though they look nailed on to go up. If they don't they will have no excuses as neither will Norwich and Villa given their huge budgets. At least one is likely to fail, however.

Guest BRADFIELDOWLS

Think Newcastle and Villawill find this more difficult than they think, despite their spending.ù

For me, Norwich's - and their manager's - experience of getting out of Championship is vital, especially if they get McCORMACK.

But we will get there, hopefully in top 2. 

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I think it's a good thing we are playing 2 of the relegated teams in the first 2 games. They will be sulking and thinking they are to good to  be in the championship, they hopefully will still have the loosing mentality from last season also. 

Think it will be a good test to see where we are as a team. Neither game will be easy and would be good to emerge undefeated

The thing with Norwich is they have a very sustainable core of players. They don't really deal in star players, so don't have anyone demanding a move. As has been said already, they've also got a lot of the same players that got them promoted last time 

11 hours ago, S_W_F_C said:

Dream on Hull's team won't compare to their's come end of August.

This will be the best squad ever seen in this division

Matt Ritchie signing a masterstroke.  What a player.  

We just need to be right there with Newcastle.  Automatics only, done with a playoff.

Just reading that Newcastle have activated Clarke and Diame release fee from villa and hull. Two players that would be good here. 

Im glad that they may take a decent player from villa this close to window though. 

Really cant see Newcastle slipping up, they have thrown so much at the wall some has to stick and there is a decent lineup in there...they will top the league.

Norwich are my other tip for automatic for the reasons we already know.

As with last season, it s a bit of a lottery under that but our chances are at least as good as last term, if not better.

We have been sensible and probably just need 1/2 more in for a bit of extra depth - needed if we are to sustain our challenge.

Newcastle will be virtually an entirely different team of players to what got relegated, which would usually mean they take a while to bed in - but the quality of them all is pretty staggering for this league.

Guessing they have a few more likely to leave though - Sissoko for one

24 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

Newcastle will be virtually an entirely different team of players to what got relegated, which would usually mean they take a while to bed in - but the quality of them all is pretty staggering for this league.

Guessing they have a few more likely to leave though - Sissoko for one

Be interesting to see their starting line up. Looked at the squad earlier and still have a wealth from last season. Mitrovic, Shelvey, Sissoko and fair few others. Hoping they continue to pillage others and leave us to it :)