Jose Semedo offered new contract

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:

In fairness I thought your post wasn't that bad, it's fine to be underwhelmed - some of the others calling it pointless or calling him dead wood I think are a bit short sighted. 

Hes dependable, motivated and good to be around even when not getting game time so as long as it's not breaking the bank seems solid decision to me. 

But it that's different to being excited by the prospect of him re-signing like I was excited by FF joining or Westwood re-signing. But to progress we need a mixture of components and he seems to be one of them. 

cheers pal. Some on here are like tennis fans. Wet there pants at anything before understanding what I mean

6 minutes ago, council owl said:

People commenting how good he is for the team off the pitch.

how the bloody hell they know is beyond me.

thing is, you're just guessing.

shouldve got shut.

Probably because Carlos said so.

He's crap, a league 1 player, not good enough to be where we wanna go.

if he's any self respect he'll move on and get game time instead of being a celebrity cheerleader 

Just now, gurujuan said:

I believe we have a few Portuguese lads earmarked for the academy, so as I said earlier, he could have a role as a mentor for them

How to make a sideways pass?

Don't understand why anyone has brought Chansiri into it I'm sure the decision on which playing staff get new contracts will be made by Carlos.

Can't see him playing much but as others have stated there may well be other roles in mind for him (mentoring the portugeezers, keep him on while he starts doing his coaching badges)

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

If some sort of coaching role then fair enough,  I am sure he will have the relevant UEFA qualifications.

If purely as a player then sorry this is a bad move for me. Nowhere near good enough in the games last season.

Yes I know people will say he is 'Good in the dressing room' and maybe this would help him get a contract if it was a borderline decision but is well short of what we need on the pitch next season even as a squad player. 

Dont forget we cant use the emergency loan system next season so if we get a few injuries at least we know we've got a player who can come in and do a job, even if its just to have him on the bench. Would rather have semedo there just in case rather than rely on someone from the development squad. Yes we know we need better and im sure the management will get better players in but having a player like semedo in the squad who seems to have a positive impact on morale and surely isnt on huge wages seems like a good move by the club

People are mentioning coaching roles all the time for Semedo as though he is a veteran at the end of his career.  He is only 31-same as Wallace and younger than Loovens,Westwood and Sougou. I'm sure he'll want to carry on for a lot longer but if he were to do a bit of mentoring then great but I think he might do that already with the younger players.

Surely Jose will know he will only feature in dead rubbers and cup games against league 1 sides.

Will depend on whether he's happy to continue this role at the club.

Obviously he is loved in the dressing room and Carlos knows his attitude is infectious and that is why he has been offered a new contract.

3 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Surely Jose will know he will only feature in dead rubbers and cup games against league 1 sides.

Will depend on whether he's happy to continue this role at the club.

Obviously he is loved in the dressing room and Carlos knows his attitude is infectious and that is why he has been offered a new contract.

I actually agree. 

Think I'm going to have to go and sit down for 10 minutes. 

If we were still under Milan and had a limited budget I could understand the negative comments about the offer but we are not.

Carlos want's him around in some capacity and why should we question a guy who took us to within 1 game of the Premier league?

Re-signing Semedo will have no effect on our summer transfer activity and the fans love him.

2 hours ago, ViolaOwls said:

Totally underwhelmed by this news. Unless its for mentoring/coaching purposes

Never underestimate the power of solid leadership in any organisation.

Semedo is worth a whole lot more than a first team berth.

Perplexing how folk neg away when his playing prowess is brought into question.

Lets be honest , if Semedo is going to play a major part in the playing side, we aren't going up are we?

He's been a great servant...I admire what he has done immensely...As a player though, he's not going to add a lot to the future..Same as Chris Waddle or David Hirst..or Mark Bright..or f.ookin' Redfearn Froggatt.

I mean..lets all post our "Sentimental 11"...I guarantee it wouldn't go up next year.

I hope its a coaching role, and I hope its been done on merit

I think someone recognises that when you have a tight-knit group of players who work hard for each other, and you stand by them, it's worth loads back in committment to the cause.

Just a good example of great management all way round. When you have a happy family, and you can carry the cost, why break up the family. Excellent stewardship.

2 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

I think someone recognises that when you have a tight-knit group of players who work hard for each other, and you stand by them, it's worth loads back in committment to the cause.

Just a good example of great management all way round. When you have a happy family, and you can carry the cost, why break up the family. Excellent stewardship.

Oh come on Simon..Its bloody football...You telling me the squad is being picked on "How well they all get on"?

I presume Carlos has seen a future coaching role for Jose...I honestly can't see him choosing him for what he will add to the team otherwise.

Every footballer reaches the point where they don't make the team, every bloody PERSON reaches that point.

I'd clap Semedo on if he came back with the f.ookin' Blavdes....but its history mate...

I get the feeling Semedo staying is more thinking with the heart and not the head. However, if Semedo is happy not playing first team football, Carlos is happy with him in the dressing room and Chansiri happy with paying for this then I for one am thoroughly pleased for the lad.

The Lavery and Price ones seem a bit odd though, hope it doesn't mean Westwood is on his way