New ground v redevelopment ?

I think we have to be honest and say we are tarnished by the Hillsborough Disaster - whether we like it or not.

I was trying to look up fan videos from the match on Saturday, and found one of Cardiff fans chanting 'Justice for the 96' - and then on that S24SU forum you've got scummy fans from S2 calling us murderers etc. Ultimately, they are just scoring points - neither care about justice really.

But if you take the Hillsborough Disaster reputation + no non-matchday income + poor facilities + limited development space then it starts to look inevitable we end up moving.

I don't say that with any enthusiasm really because Saturday for me shows what Hillsborough is really all about. But Mr Chansiri is a shrewd businessman and clearly determined to do something special with our club, and I think he will come to the conclusion that we need to move.

Exactly this. If people could actually explain how they make more money and how a new stadium would significantly improve revenue then they would have some validation to their argument, but none of them seem able to explain what they mean by such things as non matchday revenue and corporate facilites

It's been covered in the past by iirc Daz and John Blood Axe

I think we all know that Mr Chansiri has not bought our club  solely to satisfy his young son's liking of English football (especially SWFC). We have yet to see the already well proven side of Mr Chansiri's business acumen. He has undoubted knowledge and skill in land development and this is where he has made his own wealth.

From his perspective, it could make sense to develop the current site into some higher end apartments and make use of the open views over Hillsborough Park and a redirected river. Planning would not be an issue as the height of the stadium and current houses at the Leppings Lane end, would give him the possibility of building a decent number of 3 or 4 bed apartments, making it a prime location. He already has the land. Depending on the number of units built, he would make a considerable profit.

He could then back this plan into the new land purchase and stadium new build plan, in order to raise finance, which would include the obtaining of loans/grants from various sources. This would enable Mr Chansiri to build a new stadium and training complex, worthy of the name Sheffield Wednesday FC. 

Once he has planning permission for such a development project at our current Hillsborough site, the worth of the land would multiply many times over in order to act as collateral for a loan, so development of the new build could commence almost immediately, with the apartment development following on from when the club moves to its new home.

This is just a suggested outline of how it could be done. I'm sure Mr Chansiri and his team have more vision than me. Of course he could just ask his dad to help out ?

Don't need to move, Don't want to move, and don't give a f**k what a load of scouse obsessed media types think, half of which haven't been to a match in their lives.

If we moved we would still (i presume) be called Sheffield Wednesday, or maybe we should give that up as well. After all its a bit 1860s isn't it? and things have moved on. We need a new modern name to go with the new plassy stadium, what about Sheffield (or is that a bit controversial as well). Ok South Yorkshire Memorial football club, what about that?  No Sheffield in the name that might cause offence, definitely no Wednesday, that would definitely cause offence.

Just the new plassy stadium to name now. What about "Nothing to do with Hillsborough Inclusive community venue".  Sort of got a ring to it.

Put a Clacker on each seat and we're cooking on gas!!  

You think we need a stadium with bigger than 45k capacity?

No we need a stadium where you can buy food at reasonable prices in a reasonable time with toilets that don't get overcrowded when there's half a dozen people in them where you get a decent view in reasonable comfort. With decent parking and access. Ever thought that the fact it can take up to an hour to get away from the ground after a match or the only decent parking where you aren't going to get a ticket is 10  minutes walk away is putting people off. Playing devils advocate BTW.

You think we need a stadium with bigger than 45k capacity?

If there were 45K usable seats it might be enough for capacity

Certainly needs to be considerably more than the current 31/35K used seats including segregation that we currently have.

Hasn't Mr C gone on record to say Hillsborough is our home and will be while he owns the club.  Sure it came up at a forum when he was asked about naming rights for the stadium.

If there were 45K usable seats it might be enough for capacity

Certainly needs to be considerably more than the current 31/35K used seats including segregation that we currently have.

I'm pretty sure that would've been taken into account with the World Cup plans. They wouldn't have looked into adding 5,000 seats that can't be used.

That probably wouldnt change in a new stadium either

I went to derby other day and I had actual leg room, I'm six foot as well so I was well surprised. i said that as soon as I sat down (in derby end) that Holy poo poo i can actually move my legs rather then straddling the person in front of me. 

No we need a stadium where you can buy food at reasonable prices in a reasonable time with toilets that don't get overcrowded when there's half a dozen people in them where you get a decent view in reasonable comfort. With decent parking and access. Ever thought that the fact it can take up to an hour to get away from the ground after a match or the only decent parking where you aren't going to get a ticket is 10 minutes walk away is putting people off. Playing devils advocate BTW.

Playing Devil's Advocate is fair enough. But as I said before, the World Cup plans would surely have taken most - if not all - of that into account. If they hadn't, Hillsborough wouldn't have been selected.

My argument is with people who are saying the only option is to relocate. It clearly isn't. There is clearly a viable option to stay. On top of that, if relocation was the only viable option then surely DC would've said so by now.

I don't have the sentimental attachment to Hillsborough that many of our fans have - I've never lived anywhere near Sheffield and have only been there about ten times - but having been to several of these new grounds over the years I really think moving should be a last resort, and I certainly can't see anything that suggests that considered renovation of Hillsborough would be a definite failure.

Don't need to move, Don't want to move, and don't give a f**k what a load of scouse obsessed media types think, half of which haven't been to a match in their lives.

If we moved we would still (i presume) be called Sheffield Wednesday, or maybe we should give that up as well. After all its a bit 1860s isn't it? and things have moved on. We need a new modern name to go with the new plassy stadium, what about Sheffield (or is that a bit controversial as well). Ok South Yorkshire Memorial football club, what about that? No Sheffield in the name that might cause offence, definitely no Wednesday, that would definitely cause offence.

Just the new plassy stadium to name now. What about "Nothing to do with Hillsborough Inclusive community venue". Sort of got a ring to it.

Put a Clacker on each seat and we're cooking on gas!!

Again with the Disaster digs.

What matters is whether Hillsborough can be brought into the 21st Century. Three stands are historical relics - but 2 of them, the Kop and the North are things of beauty. I'm no architect and don't know whether they can be made to meet the required safety and commercial standards. I hope so because I love the place.

We've played elsewhere but it is our spiritual home. As a ground it's changed - it's nothing like it was when we first moved there. So maybe it can continue to evolve and will hopefully still retain its character. Fingers crossed.