Do our fans understand modern football?

There's a guy near me who goes mad every time Westwood rolls it out or passes it to a full back. "Get it up the pitch" he says. God forbid if we ever pass it around a bit and then pass it back! He goes bananas.

Is his name Herbie?

Despite a great win today, still plenty of people shouting and complaining about the way we played..............................

I can't believe this. People were moaning about the way we played? I think we need to make some flyers to hand out at games with the top 10 things a modern footballing team does. I will get the ball rolling.

1. Keep possession. When you have the ball, the opposites can't hurt you. This includes playing the ball all the way back to the 'keeper if necessary to start a new phase of possession.

Despite a great win today, still plenty of people shouting and complaining about the way we played. Here's the thing though... it was textbook possession play against 10 men. We got the goals and made them chase around for it. It was patient football, good to watch and highly effective. 

Some of the criticism was ridiculous, maybe it was just around me, but it struck me that some of our fans simply do not understand modern football. They have become so used to the hoofball drivel that we have had to put up with for the last 15 years that they have forgotten that playing it around the back and waiting for the right opening to attack is the best way to play the game, especially against 10 men. 

Oh and also, to those who left with 5 minutes to go...

AHAHAHAHAHAHA! Missed another great goal. lol

Serves you right (unless you had a genuine reason to go)

ALL modern football 'understanders' merely point out the 'limitations' of 'the emperor's new clothes' and 'one eyedism'...

by declaring themselves as understanding the 'needs of playing it around at the back, and waiting for the right opening' you overlook the opportunity 'taken' by westwood to find hooper in a one on one situation.

football like chess has nothing 'new' to offer, if anything they're just re-hashing the old stuff again...

when swfc are in possession of the ball, certain things need to be in mind, firstly not to put through your own goal, or lose it in a dangerous area, and then each person 'in possession' should be looking for 'the opportunity' of making 'the pass' that will lead to a scoring opportunity asap...

IF a 'scenario' were to arise where the opposition were down to 10 men, we were 0-0 with under 10 minutes to play would 'patiently passing it' across our backline be the 'modern approved method' then?

last season i listened to one of the 'former' liverpoo centre backs (from their pomp), stating 'that early on in a game they were encouraged to go long, so as not to be caught in possession inside their own half whilst the opposition forwards had there first wind'.

i'll bet any number of their managers have won more titles. and european cup than any or all of our 'modern football understanders'...

There's a really annoying couple behind me that voice their every opinion and shout some right garbage all game every game. The woman at the beginning of January slated Hooper on everything he did all game to the point where she yelled "sub the barstool off he's f'ing useless" and in both games he scored twice

I can't believe this. People were moaning about the way we played? I think we need to make some flyers to hand out at games with the top 10 things a modern footballing team does. I will get the ball rolling.

1. Keep possession. When you have the ball, the opposites can't hurt you. This includes playing the ball all the way back to the 'keeper if necessary to start a new phase of possession.

another 'modern footballing professor'...

name the other 9 without looking them up...

hahahaha! :tango:

Well these days you can no longer get to coach or manage until you have proved proficiency on an FA course.

applying football knowledge with man management skills are part of it but I maintain the biggest factor is resources.

sometimes the biggest factor can be 'luck'...

remember fergie at the start of his tenure, he was very nearly outa the door...

did bfr have an fa proficiency badge?, i've a feeling irvine did... WTF:

cloughie didn't have a 'badge' but he had a thing called 'peter taylor'...

different things at different times...

there is no 'proven' way...

Edited by dnhc

The games moved on though. I don't think beggars can be choosers either. When you win 4-0, watching the best team we've had in 15 years then you simply can't be unhappy. If you're not going to be happy unless you're watching an old school get up and at 'em team, then you're probably going to not enjoy much. This is what I worry about with our fans though, its ok when we're unbeaten at home in 15 games, in the play-offs looking towards automatic, but you just know as soon as we go through an inevitable sticky patch they'll be fans booing the players for passing and demanding Megson back to 'sort it out'

its what fans do though carlos is god at the moment but you can be sure  sooner or later nearly all the  fans will be calling for his head ...........as for the games moved on tactics do change but the aim is still the same to score more goals than the opposition, its down to the fans personal choice of how they want the team to do that.i thought the team did brill on saturday but i can understand why some would be frustrated that we didnt score more coz they were there for a the taking ..... .

watford ended up lookin' a right set of ***** with that 'champions' sign they'd had made up last term for the final game...

let's wait and see what we win before 'announcing' our success, eh?

I'm classing success based on the improvements made over a relatively short period of time compared to what went before.

I don't think you can class 'success' purely based on whether we 'win' something or not.

Are we to assume then that if we don't 'win' something this year, the whole project has been a failure?

Pretty fatuous way of looking at things. 

The way I look forward to games, and the way I feel after games now, is 'success' in its own right as far as i'm concerned.

Did we not all say at the beginning of the season there was no expectation on the team, anything better than the previous year would be more than acceptable.

Now we are saying if we don't 'win' anything it hasn't been a 'success'!

I think it is a mark of what CC and the team have achieved that there has been such a seismic shift in the level of expectation.

I agree that calling the way we play 'modern' is wrong, we aren't playing modern football, we are playing a style of football that i haven't seen much of at Hillsborough and the style is quite new to England.

I think many managers or teams would like to play the way we are playing but they don't have the players to do it effectively. We have many players who are comfortable in possession in tight areas, those same players have incredible energy and work ethic.

At the moment we are good in possession and good out of it, which simply makes for a good team.

This fascination all started with Spain when they won the World Cup and the Euros by keeping the ball, Barcelona have dominated Europe by playing this way.

In England we have changed the way we do things, children now play on small pitches in small sided games with smaller footballs, all this is to encourage the kids to be happy and comfortable on the ball. Small sided games give every player more touches which should help with their development.

We are about 25 years behind, so it will take some catching up.

We still have coaches who don't fully agree with this way of playing, I was listening to Warnock the other day saying how academy football is so boring. 

Neil, there is a bigger reason why we get the kids to play like this you dinosaur, its so England can actually get anywhere near the better International teams. It starts at grass roots.

Some people will stay in the Warnock camp, others will move with the times, thats how it goes.

Never got out of second gear and never needed to - good.  It'd have been nice to have stuck another three past them in the second half but this is a long, hard slog of a league and with three big games coming up in 6 days, take it easy if you can afford to.  Why risk injury and burn out.  I for one, appreciated us passing it around the back when 3-0 up, as I cannot remember the last time we were able to to do that.  

I also thought that it looked like McGeady had been reigned in.  He had numerous chances to bomb down the touchline but seemed reluctant.  Can only surmise that this was tactical.

There's a really annoying couple behind me that voice their every opinion and shout some right garbage all game every game. The woman at the beginning of January slated Hooper on everything he did all game to the point where she yelled "sub the barstool off he's f'ing useless" and in both games he scored twice

Not much of give the lad a chance type