The Owls vs Wolves. Official Matchday Thread. ***2 PM Early Kick Off***

3aa9gLN.png

No roast and Yorkshire puds for the massive today. We have pints of lager, crisps, and a pie with lots of bouncing and shouting instead. Eeeeh football on a Sundeh! At two o'clock! World's gone mad ah tell thi.

TODAY’S OPPOSITES

Józef Stawinoga (15.12.1920 – 28.10.2007) also known as Fred, was a homeless Polish man who lived in a tent on the Wolverhampton Ring Road in the West Midlands, England for nearly 40 years. Little is known about the recluse’s previous life but he is thought to have been involved in the 1939 German invasion of Poland, before emigrating to the UK in the late 1940s.

After the war he lived in Wolverhampton, finding work and a place to live – and an Austrian wife who left him after a year, according to Juliusz Leonowicz, who claimed to be Stawinoga's friend. Official records show that Stawinoga married Hermine Weiss in Wolverhampton in 1952. He was also a highly rated centre forward for St. Luke’s FC.

It has been reported that Stawinoga worked for some time at the Stewarts & Lloyds steelworks in Bilston. One day however, he did not turn up to work and the next thing his workmates knew "...he was pushing a pram with all his possessions and had grown an ankle-length, matted beard”.

sYmGOIw.jpg

At a date given by different sources as 1954 and 1962, he opted out of society for unknown reasons, left his job, and founded his own football club. He was evicted from several lodging houses, and by the mid 1960s he had moved into his tent on the central grass reservation of the town's inner ring road. The council tolerated his presence, as he was claustrophobic and he became something of a local character.

A series of replacement tents was erected by the authorities over his original plastic sheeting; in April 1968 such an operation involved the army, the police, social services and environmental health. Fred was treated as a holy man by the football loving Hindu community, with many people believing he lived a truly enlightened life.

RZHhFwV.png

Based on his homeless, roaming life style, his club eventually became known as Wolverhampton Wanderers and that’s how we come to be playing them today.

FUN FACTS

While the official world record for the 200 meter sprint is recorded as 19.19 seconds, Stawinoga’s grandson was clocked by police radar at 17.8 seconds on Deans Rd, Wolverhampton running with a DVD player under each arm.

THE SERIOUS BIT

Venue: Hillsborough Stadium, Sheffield.
Kick Off: Sunday, 20th of December at 14:00.

Matchday Apparel: Home shirt, no saxophones.

Matchday Drink: Pints!

Matchday Pie: Crunchy Wolf.

Matchday Song: Walk This Land by E-Z Rollers...

Today’s matchday song is dedicated to Jimmy Hill because he loved a bit of Drum n’ Bass.

MATCHDAY FACTS

Sheffield Wednesday defender Michael Turner and midfielder Alex Lopez have both suffered knee and thigh injuries respectively and will miss out. Midfielder Sam Hutchinson is fit, while striker Lucas Joao and midfielders Jose Semedo and Lewis McGugan are all pushing for recalls.

Wolves midfielder Kevin McDonald has suffered an ankle injury and is rated 50-50 by boss Kenny Jackett. Kortney Hause and Emi Martinez remain sidelined.

M02y1er.png Head to HeadFe40PuM.png

• Sheffield Wednesday have failed to score in their last five league clashes with Wolves (D1 L4).

• Wolves have won seven and lost none of their last 10 league encounters with the Owls.

• After losing once in 11 games, Wednesday are winless in four Championship fixtures (D3 L1).

• The Owls are unbeaten in seven home league games, winning four and drawing three.

• Four of Wolves' last five goals in the league have been assisted by Jordan Graham.

hu5MNGD.png

My Prediction: Today, our 400 year wait for a win against these smelly, formed by a tramp bunch of crocklefish will end.

3 - 0 to us with Fessi, Joao and McGugan hitting the target. 

Oooooooh!

Flying Owl is in charge of launching the Taylor rocket gif because I have to fanny about with servers at work.

KING CARLOS’ WORDS OF WISDOM

“We are very happy to be back at Hillsborough, we like playing in front of our fans, we love our environment and this is the most positive and most important thing. Our players know that any player can be down in their life in football but the best teams, the champions, react very, very fast.

This is what our players must achieve – a fast and strong reaction after the last game. We wish and we are sure that we will have the answers on the pitch with the support of our fans. We will have a very tough game on Sunday, that is absolutely sure, but the connection the team has with the supporters in Hillsborough is very important.”

MINTYNESS

Giant Taylor Swift and Giant Shadow Llama will be there to see our win today...

nNzvt4n.gif

Edited by pauli

Best OMDT ever

Well done pauli...!

Love the song,love Tay Tay (did I mention I met her? F Off Sam) and just can't get enough of giant shadow Llama.

Can't get today, but both lads going.

Youngest taking girlfriend who has been a lucky charm up to now.

Time to get back on track.

Hutch to get the team ticking.

3-1

C'MON LADS...!

UTO

Guest minsk owl

BRILLIANT !!! ,  and fully expected 

DVD player under each arm  :biggrin:

Going for 2-0 , which will secure 7th spot ........  Bazza to notch his 2nd goal, and the forgotten man to smash another to wrap it up.

If all else fails, we'll win it  5-4 on penalties

post-38035-0-23822900-1450570371.gif

Evening all.  

Nice one Pauli.  No saxophones, that's me rogered. :biggrin:

No messing about for this one, 3 points is a must especially after our recent run.  

Don't care too much about the performance as long as we get the win.  

3-1 to Wednesday.  Poodle, Joao and Lee, the scorers. 

COME ON WEDNESDAY!!!

Guest minsk owl

Horribly painful match but 2-1 win so 7th tmoz.

Hooper winner.

Nice one Pauli.

sorry to be a pain , ...... but 2-1 won't do it ...... has to be 2-0 or .......

Edited by minsk owl

Fantastic OMDT Pauli , brilliant work Sir.

Where did you get that photo of John ( The Beard )  Brayford from ? lol

Going on my own tomorrow

Both son and wife working

You normally take the touble and strife ti the match ? WTF:

Fantastic OMDT Pauli , brilliant work Sir.

Where did you get that photo of John ( The Beard )  Brayford from ? lol

I just happened to invent time travel next Thursday and saw him coming out of Aldi in March 2017. Came back to include the pic in today's Matchday thread and warn you about the perils of using social media.

The wife hasn't seen me since September 1934. Apparently I was walking backwards out of William Hill's betting emporium while waving a copy of a newspaper celebrating our FA cup victory in May 1935.

Does that make sense?

The day after JFK was killed one of the all time best goals was scored against this lot... A long ball towards the corner of the south at the Leppings Lane end chased and brought under control by Colin Dobson all on his own. The ball was chest high Dobson tormented his marker with three overhead kicks. As he did so David Layne sprinted up from the half way line until about 6 or 7 yards outside the area. Dobson looped the last of his overhead kicks to just inside the area and Layne met it perfectly with a diving header that gave the keeper no chance as it hit the back of the net like a bullet.

There was a pause of disbelief before the cheer went up. Never seen it on film or owt but all the Sunday tabloids had still photos with little diagrams of how the goal was worked.

I don't recall much more of the match than that goal was 1 of 5 in a 5-0 drubbing of the Wolves and all players wore black arm bands in memory of the U.S. President.

Another great thread Pauli.  

She's the stand in for when my son can't make it

Unfortunately she can't make tomorrow either

2nd reserve is my daughter but she's not home til Wednesday

So I'm Billy no mates later

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.