Oldham 35 years on

I read in Big Jack autobiography that after the Oldham game he had a meeting with police and local press in south Yorkshire and it was agreed that they wouldn't report any trouble after games and he also went to see all the heads of police at away games and ask that if any press asked him about arrests that they would report that Wednesday had been a pleasure to police in the hope that if no trouble was reported it would die down

I went to that match. I remember Big Jack walking across the pitch up to the away end and asking the supporters to calm down. We had hired a van, but, unfortunately, down the side it said 'Sheffield Auto Hire' and we had coins and stones thrown at us as we drove slowly away from the ground.

:D You got lucky mate our van was on it's side, they kept us in at full time while the Oldham boys played!

When was the incident at Villa?  I remember they ran into us after the game where we sent them down 86-87 season.  Then shortly after hearing the OCS chants go up from further down the road.

I think it was 84/85, or it could have been later, around the mid eighties anyway, my feeling is that we lost the game if that helps.

It definitely wasn't the League Cup game, got away clean & easy after that one.

The Oldham incident was greatly exaggerated, to describe it as a riot is proof that media hype has always existed. The most violent part of the incident that I saw took place across to the right hand side (looking from the away end) of the ground near the home end, while a line of coppers stood within throwing distance of the away end that was littered with loose rubble. I remember big Jack coming over to plea with the fans to stop the 'stone throwing' and fence shaking, but just as with the Arsenal (Pat Jennings) snowball incident his pleas were ignored !

Think police dog incident was year after when they locked us in at end of match,opened gate and just let it loose,remember it getting thrown back over gate.someone should gather all these sorts of threads together and make a book,won't be like most of the made up crap,in most out there.needs to be done soon as we are all getting older and memory's fade and sadly losing lots of good old lads too soon

Think police dog incident was year after when they locked us in at end of match,opened gate and just let it loose,remember it getting thrown back over gate.someone should gather all these sorts of threads together and make a book,won't be like most of the made up crap,in most out there.needs to be done soon as we are all getting older and memory's fade and sadly losing lots of good old lads too soon

That's what i was thinking about when i referred to a police dog getting returned from where it came pretty rapidly.

Was that the year after?  It all blurs into one, wish i'd kept an exact diary or something of everything that went off.

It was the little bits that were usually the funniest.

Think i've mentioned it before on here, but we were rammed into the back of a Transit van on the way to God know's where, couldn't see out at all. The driver stops, saying he's found a suitable place for a bevy, we all pile out, right outside the front door of Middlewood mental Hospital as was.

Nothing heavy, or violent just ridiculously stupid, childish but so funny.

When some of these threads crop up from time to time, someone will mention something you'd forgotten and you think, "Aah Christ, i remember that now"!, and it brings it all back.

A lot of the stuff, not the violence particularly, couldn't happen nowadays, what with cctv, all the technology around.

It was a much simpler, more innocent (which sounds daft when you consider the violence) time, probably not as cynical as now.

This is why anyone who wasn't there would not be able to put the thing into context with how things are now. 

Bit like when we jumped out of the mini bus for a slash at the side of this huge building in Birmingham.

As we pulled off afterwards we found out that it was Birminghams police headquarters!

lol, made me giggle, I'd forgot about that, must be getting old.

Bit like when we jumped out of the mini bus for a slash at the side of this huge building in Birmingham.

As we pulled off afterwards we found out that it was Birminghams police headquarters!

That's exactly what i mean!!

Little cameo's that don't have a lot of relevance apart from if you were there. Brilliant.

It was the year after.  I was sat next to the lads who chucked it back on the train home.

I think it was 84/85, or it could have been later, around the mid eighties anyway, my feeling is that we lost the game if that helps.

I was at the League cup game in '78 which I think is the one being referred to (lost 1-0 to an Andy Gray diving header). Was in the old Witton Lane stand. There was a bomb scare at half time, and then at full time we couldn't get out of the stand due to the scrapping on the street outside. Police cleared the street after a few minutes but it was a bit hairy for a while.

On 10/10/2015 at 23:55, hirsty9 said:
On 10/10/2015 at 17:35, Ibbo48 said:

That's so true. I'd never seen Owls fans react like that at an away match and I used to go all over in those days. Even looking back at it now I still can't understand why it kicked off so badly

It all flared up cos of Stainrod, ex pig going down as if he was shot every challenge and the poor excuse of a ref falling for his play acting.

and Stainrod happens to be a Wednesdayite, but he was on the wind up all day

Guest The Claw
On 10 October 2015 at 19:24, brian joicey said:

didn't read this post earlier but i was one of those on their end !  :duntmatter:

Yep

Guest The Claw
On 13 October 2015 at 05:16, qantas said:

Think it as the cup game Tuesday night they were coming out of the holt end andvwebwere walking back to the coaches which at that time parked virtually across from their Kop, proper toe to toe till they ran off, don't think they expected a us to go for it, looking back why! But then it always happened.

2 hours ago, Bakewell Owl said:

has anyone noticed how much Bert McGee looks like Ted Bovis from Hi Di Hi in that first photo

strange day, it seemed to pan out in slow motion 

I'd seen Paul Shane (Ted Bovis) at some home games (80s?). He used to call at the Development Office before the match.

Or, come to think of it, maybe he WAS Bert McGee and forgot his Box Ticket.

• Haha 1