Scunthorpe United vs The Owls. Official Matchday Thread.

Given the reaction over ticket prices you would have thought the club would want to win their last few pre season games to try and grow enthusiasm to drive attendance for the Bristol game.

To be fair ... the pre season aim for CC should be to prepare for 8/8 regardless of results 

A win against Bristol will sell a lot more tickets than a win against Scunny 

As was pointed out when CC was appointed, he hadn't managed a side for three years, and at, at least one club, he was sacked after only nine games in charge. Fourteen clubs in fourteen seasons should make people question his appointment.

In interviews he sounds terrific, but thus far, and I appreciate these are only friendlies, he seems to have lost the plot.

Well, that's it then. You've clearly just ignored the fact that on many occasions he left one job for a better job, not to mention the fact that more than several of these roles appear to have been on a caretaker/interim level. Plus, when you mix in the simple truth that in Portugal it is terribly common for coaches to last less than 18 months and move effortlessly from job to job. We're doomed. 

Tonights result is totally unacceptable. End of story.

And to those folk that think because it was a friendly that the result doesn't matter well I hope your wrong because to me you are implying that players are OK to not give a throw about the travelling fans and their hard earned money.

We are either not good enough or we don't give a throw. I hope it isn't the latter.

To be fair ... the pre season aim for CC should be to prepare for 8/8 regardless of results

A win against Bristol will sell a lot more tickets than a win against Scunny

Based on what we have seen so far, do we think we will beat BC? They will be bang up for it on their Champ return and in our faces.

Expectations for this game are pretty low tbh - it's a tricky opener.

Chelsea got beat 4-2 the other day in a friendly

certs for relegation

Let's hope we can stay up then, should be a decent crowd the season after for the home game against Chelsea - wonder how much tickets will be ?

Good grief... I've seen us have good victories in pre seasons, then go on to have a crap season.

It's about trying out new things, seeing who works with whom.  Trying out new dead ball situations. Ect, etc, etc.

Don't get excited about winning pre season, don't get upset about losing them.

As results go, it's meaningless. 

Came across this posted by 'kernowl' back in 2010...

Pre-season friendlies count for nothing. I recall the pre-season of the 1993-94 season when this happened...

BODMIN TOWN 2 - 9 WEDNESDAY
PLYMOUTH ARGYLE 0 - 5 WEDNESDAY
EXETER CITY 0 - 6 WEDNESDAY
GLENTORAN 1 - 7 WEDNESDAY
BANGOR 0-2 WEDNESDAY
GLASGOW CELTIC 1 - 1 WEDNESDAY
WEDNESDAY 1 - 1 DERBY COUNTY (NIGEL WORTHINGTON TESTIMONIAL)
SHEFFIELD UNITED 0 - 1 WEDNESDAY (DEREK DOOLEY TESTIMONIAL) so that's 32 for and 5 against

Buoyed up for the new season we then did this...

LIVERPOOL 2 - 0 WEDNESDAY
WEDNESDAY 0 - 0 ASTON VILLA
WEDNESDAY 0 - 1 ARSENAL
WEST HAM 2 - 0 WEDNESDAY

We got out first point and goal in our fifth match against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge

The strikers who were culpable for the joke that was going round Sheffield at that time ( that we were being renamed Sheffield Wednesday Nil) were the following...

MARK BRIGHT
DAVID HIRST
PAUL WARHURST ...who were being supplied by Chris Waddle and John Sheridan

the likes of NIGEL JEMSON and GORDON WATSON couldn't get a game

So I won't say don't despair because that is what we Wednesdayites do best. Everton's motto is Nil Desperandum (don't despair), back in 1993-94 we had to put up with both the desperandum and the NIL.

Edited by DJMortimer

Tonights result is totally unacceptable. End of story.

And to those folk that think because it was a friendly that the result doesn't matter well I hope your wrong because to me you are implying that players are OK to not give a throw about the travelling fans and their hard earned money.

We are either not good enough or we don't give a throw. I hope it isn't the latter.

or it's pre-season

I'm more concerned about the performance and result on Saturday than tonight, never like playing at places like Scunthorpe with their small grounds, high tempo/direct football and raising their game against bigger teams. If we played them at Home we'd win quite easily. If we lose to St mirren at the new S6 I will be more worried about how things are going

even though it's a friendly it's still poor losing 4-2 to scummy. Dress it up however you like but pre season results against average and poor sides have been shocking. It's not worth getting the hump over but surely everyone can see that it is poor even if it is just a kick about. I'm not worried as these games are relatively meaningless. However it must be a common opinion that performances haven't been good enough as well as results so it's understandable people are annoyed. The seasons starts soon and it would be good to put in a good performance and gain a positve result again St Mirren.