Scunthorpe United vs The Owls. Official Matchday Thread.

Guest domSWFC

The first goal, was it loovens who looked totally lost and ran like he was pulling a caravan?

Good deliveries from scunny for a couple of them. But under no pressure whatsoever

Our second goal just shows what friendlies are like though. No players even bothered trying to track back, or mark any of our players. 

As much as we was poor I did think Scunthorpe looked quite a decent side.

A mate of mine knows the ex Lincoln manager, Simpson I think his name is and he reckons Scunthorpe will be surprise team next season and worth having a bet on to go up at odds of 33/1.

Paddy Madden is a very good striker at that level and if they keep him fit I think he could be right.

Ive been tonight and after seeing that I thought they were probably worth a tenner at 33/1- on Skybet they are now only 15/2 to get promoted?

Guest Deleted member

Result means nothing your all right.

The PERFORMANCE does, and it was f ucking poor ladies & gents. Has been all pre season.

Much work ahead of them

The performance at York was abysmal. My only pre season game, won't be doing any more

I don't care if they are training games, they are for the other team too. If we want to play against poo teams for a confidence booster with the new team, line up, tactics etc the last thing you want to be doing is losing 4-2 to Scunthorpe

Just got back from the game. Not read the whole thread. First time I've seen us this pre-season, and I'm not one to over-react for what is only a pre-season game.

Coming away I have a major concern, and it is one that I had when CC was first appointed and I heard talk of the the way we intended to play. My concern is when we don't have the ball we look frighteningly open. This isn't about individuals, it is about systems. Have whatever view that you want on Stuart Gray, but it isn't a coincidence that our back four and keeper had one of the best records in the league and that is because they got protected from the centre forward backwards. I know many will say that was Gray's problem as well, but our full backs received minimal protection from midfield tonight (for example, Palmer got nowhere near the protection that he would have got in an orthodox 4-4-2 with Maguire playing in front of him). Likewise our centre halves weren't offered the cover they need.

I had anticipated our 4-3-3 was going to revert to something like a 4-5-1 when we were defending, but at times today when we didn't have the ball it was 4-1-5. Also, we seemed to lack any strategy to closing down, were we pressing high? setting traps to close down and pounce? I didn't see any of that at times it was like we just pressed everything and then got picked off.

On this showing (and I say again it is only a friendly) we will concede many many goals next season. And if that proves to be the case I cannot see the likes of Westwood in particular wanting to hang-around while a gung-ho team ruins the reputation that he built last season. He was seriously miffed when he came off (he asked to come off straight after the third goal, but I'm not so sure it was injury or more likely frustration), because the way the team is shaping up at the moment he can see that he is going to get very little help towards another 15+ clean sheets next season.

CC speaks often about taking learning from these games. Well I'd suggest we need to take a nugget from SG's book, we attack as a team and we defend as a team. Today we did not defend as a team. I just hope that we put that right before the season proper starts, because after all this was only a friendly.

It wasn't all negative, but our defensive shape as an XI is a big concern. I hope I'm wrong when the real stuff starts in 10 days time.

Edited by DevOwls Advocate

Only seen the goals but for all of them they look tired or disinterested. This is possibly the intensity of training and perhaps they are tired and disinterested in a match against Scunny. But let's face it despite the many that try to, you can't predict a season based on preseason friendlies in July

Just got back from the game. Not read the whole thread. First time I've seen us this pre-season, and I'm not one to over-react for what is only a pre-season game.

Coming away I have a major concern, and it is one that I had when CC was first appointed and I heard talk of the the way we intended to play. My concern is when we don't have the ball we look frighteningly open. This isn't about individuals, it is about systems. Have whatever view that you want on Stuart Gray, but it isn't a coincidence that our back four and keeper had one of the best records in the league and that is because they got protected from the centre forward backwards. I know many will say that was Gray's problem as well, but our full backs received minimal protection from midfield tonight (for example, Palmer got nowhere near the protection that he would have got in an orthodox 4-4-2 with Maguire playing in front of him). Likewise our centre halves weren't offered the cover they need.

I had anticipated our 4-3-3 was going to revert to something like a 4-5-1 when we were defending, but at times today when we didn't have the ball it was 4-1-5. Also, we seemed to lack any strategy to closing down, were we pressing high? setting traps to close down and pounce? I didn't see any of that at times it was like we just pressed everything and then got picked off.

On this showing (and I say again it is only a friendly) we will concede many many goals next season. And if that proves to be the case I cannot see the likes of Westwood in particular wanting to hang-around while a gung-ho team ruins the reputation that he built last season. He was seriously miffed when he came off (he asked to come off straight after the third goal, but I'm not so sure it was injury or more likely frustration), because the way the team is shaping up at the moment he can see that he is going to get very little help towards another 15+ clean sheets next season.

CC speaks often about taking learning from these games. Well I'd suggest we need to take a nugget from SG's book, we attack as a team and we defend as a team. Today we did not defend as a team. I just hope that we put that right before the season proper starts, because after all this was only a friendly.

It wasn't all negative, but our defensive shape as an XI is a big concern. I hope I'm wrong when the real stuff starts in 10 days time.

Yes,very succinctly written. I thought we were ok ish 1st half when we had the ball,and for half an hour or so won it back quickly when we did lose possession, but then it seemed as though they had sussed us somehow and we were really vulnerable down the channels and in our defensive 3rd. 

It was all a bit odd and disjointed in my opinion tonight. Defo need a bit of tweaking at least. 

Good post. I had a similar thought too when CC came in, in that I was looking forward to attacking football but not Swindon esque defending.

We set the side up to have a holding midfielder screening the defence but our wingers don't protect the full backs because they are effectively strikers. Even on a tight pitch for the goals we weren't getting close to their wide players and they were able to take their time and place their cross. Perhaps the full backs have too much on their plate as wing backs?

I get that players go through these games in a low gear but there have been some worrying signs defensively in each of the games.

I like the brand of football CC is talking about, but the perfect balance of attack and defence is something very few teams can master. Gray recognised our strength was to keep it tight and to work hard, so that we could Nick a result. Not always entertaining but Chelsea often do this too. I like the sound of our attacking play but I do wonder if all we needed to do was add some pace out wide and quality up front to the ethos of last season

Guest Darkus Owlus

...and that'll mean promotion gone. Damn, still there's always the season after

That's season 2, the deadling for promotion. :ph34r: