Scunthorpe United vs The Owls. Official Matchday Thread.

It is the year 1068 and William has more or less finished with the conquering. He starts to carve up England, awarding chunks of it to his noblemen, generals and high ranking officers.

Battlefield commander, Stefane Branleur is given several acres in the north and builds a settlement. He decides to name it “La Fanné Massif” and has a large sign painted for the main gate announcing the place to travellers.

But the village soon comes to the attention of a member of the Norman nobility, Le Comté, Avertissements de Googlé. Whilst having little appreciation for fine art and almost illiterate, de Googlé knows all the swear words by heart. He orders the sign to be removed.

Branleur is furious, renames the village to "Les Buggeres" and has a new sign made. He goes home to bed, his loud snoring punctuated by the occasional "hehehe". Waking the next morning and partaking of a hearty breakfast of Wéetabix with snails on, he pops his head out of the window and discovers to his dismay that de Googlé has struck again. The sign has gone!

By now, Branleur is absolutely livid. He goes on a three day bender and sends a messenger on horseback to Le Comté. The messenger is carrying a roll of parchment with a short note that contains just the two words, “ta mère” which translates as “Your mum” in English. Waiting for the reply, Branleur cracks open another cask of Beaujolais and decides to conceal his love for swearing from de Googlé by hiding the naughty words inside others. He eventually comes up with a new name for his now burgeoning town. It will forever be known as Scunthorpe.

Somehow, de Googlé doesn't notice and leaves the sign alone.

Hundreds of years later, the inhabitants of Scunthorpe decided to form a football club and that’s how we come to be playing them today.

d8YJsJR.png

FUN FACTS

Scunthorpe’s hooligan firm no longer exists.

There used to be one called the Ladybits, which was formed in the early 70’s by the French exchange student and advocate of violent revolution, Virginia Monologués. 

THE SERIOUS BIT

Where: Glanford Park
When: Wed 29th of July19:45

Matchday Apparel: Blue and White.

Matchday Drink: 6 pints of Old Flapwrecker.

Matchday Pie: Fanny Cradock's Fish Special.

Matchday Song: Funky Bounce by Zapp...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD4XFQoDILI

MATCH FACTS

cTC9FMa.png Head to Head 48pAkj8.png

jnRoJ7L.png

MINTYNESS

Confirmed!

HMw5dOE.gif

Me + 2, so that's 3 at least.

I reckon another 1000 on top of that.

me + 3 so thats 7 at least...

not sure which stand to go in though, i wanna go in the away end and be seen to support CC and the team, but i gotta take into account that i have an 8 and a 9 year old with me, if its rammed i think they will be better in the main stand!  dunno. 

crap view in the away end should be taken into account too, i wanna see how the team are gelling.

me + 3 so thats 7 at least...

not sure which stand to go in though, i wanna go in the away end and be seen to support CC and the team, but i gotta take into account that i have an 8 and a 9 year old with me, if its rammed i think they will be better in the main stand!  dunno. 

crap view in the away end should be taken into account too, i wanna see how the team are gelling.

Only a friendly, just sit in the main stand if you just want to go and watch the football with your kids.

Guest minsk owl

You left out the very painful cup match that involved Cassidy & Keegan. Still hurts :sad:

Absent Miss, I have a very important cricket match to attend.

If there was footage of the Whitham overhead strike in that game ( opening few minutes 1-0 ) .............. it would ease the pain slightly

Another neat OMDT - thanks

Could be a more revealing and meaningful clash tonight - slightly closer to what we will face in the Championship.

Looking for real signs of attacking, aggressive and entertaining football from CC and the boys! - and a confidence boosting win with three or more goals scored.

UTO :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: