When did you 1st hear," Barmy army" chant

Pigs sang it in 1979. At the BDM one of the loudest chants from Wednesdayites was " Where's your Barmy Army now ?"

I think that was in reply to them saying before game that there were thousands of em coming on East Bank. 

United started singing it just after they won their last major trophy...OBVIOUSLY

Yep spot on...for a change

Gi' oer! Chanting had even been invented then!

Guest Distraught!

Gi' oer! Chanting had even been invented then!

It wasn't long after though "Zeig heil, Zeig heil".  :ghoulguy:

For me in the late 80's at away matches the chant used to be Sheffield Wednesdays blue and white army we're not mad we're f*cking barmy which then sort of lazily turned into barmy army after being Atkinsons barmy army at first

On a similar note I remember coming out of the league cup final and hearing a disgruntled man u fan saying 'and they nicked our song' referring to always look on the bright side of life when the first time I'd heard us sing that was when we lost at Everton 4-0 in about 86 and we were singing it to ourselves not to the opposition as it later developed

Really can't remember the first time I heard it

However, without doubt, the best was in the fa cup final replay, we were outnumbered and knackered but kept up the longest "barmy army" ever

It was amazing

That was great but I think the best I've heard was away at Mansfield around '90/'91. If I remember correctly, it started about 10 minutes in, carried on for rest of the first half, through half time and then for the whole of the second half.

Pigs sang it in 1979. At the BDM one of the loudest chants from Wednesdayites was " Where's your Barmy Army now ?"

The Blades did sing it first as you say but before 1979.

I remember being on the Shoreham in 1979 giving it "where's your Barmy Army now" after years of them saying the Barmy Army would smash us

Edited by lanzaroteowl

ATKINSONS!

Barmy Army!

It was so engrained in our psych that I remember at Everton away on Boxing Day 1992 or 93 (?) some dude jumped up and shouted ATKINSONS!! problem was Atkinson at the time was Judas and tricky trev was the gaffer...

ATKINSONS!

Barmy Army!

It was so engrained in our psych that I remember at Everton away on Boxing Day 1992 or 93 (?) some dude jumped up and shouted ATKINSONS!! problem was Atkinson at the time was Judas and tricky trev was the gaffer...

The game of Carltons 30 yard header?

That was great but I think the best I've heard was away at Mansfield around '90/'91. If I remember correctly, it started about 10 minutes in, carried on for rest of the first half, through half time and then for the whole of the second half.

I got a ticket off a Mansfield apprentice for this game and it turned out to be with the players parents/wives etc.  Very hard to listen to our fans without joining in.

1990-91

SWFC v West Ham Utd

Game finished 1-1 and Hirst scored for us (lovely turn and finish on his right foot).

West Ham sang 'Billy Bonds purple army' throughout half time and carried on for the majority of the second half. We adopted it and changed the words to 'Atkinsons Barmy Army'. The rest, is history and the song will be forever one of my favourites.

Guest Fedor

1990-91

SWFC v West Ham Utd

Game finished 1-1 and Hirst scored for us (lovely turn and finish on his right foot).

West Ham sang 'Billy Bonds purple army' throughout half time and carried on for the majority of the second half. We adopted it and changed the words to 'Atkinsons Barmy Army'. The rest, is history and the song will be forever one of my favourites.

Mid 80s , West Ham fans sang "Johnny Lyalls claret and Blue Army" for the entire second half. Thats where we copied it from.

I can go back a bit further when i was a patient at Rampton in the 70's.

Remember these were different times and the staff, who were mainly Wednesday, allowed us, who were mainly Wednesday, to form our own military department.

That was the first time i heard of the Wednesday Barmy Army!