When did you 1st hear," Barmy army" chant

First time it really got going was away at West Brom in same season. Atkinson's Barmy Army went on for ages during second half.

i concur mate .....

Late 80's! Probably around 88.

Anyone who says different is talking rubbish.

Wilkinson's Barmy Army...it used to go in for ages and it was quite tedious.

blue & white army i remember but barmy army not with wilko in charge .

1990-91

SWFC v West Ham Utd

Game finished 1-1 and Hirst scored for us (lovely turn and finish on his right foot).

West Ham sang 'Billy Bonds purple army' throughout half time and carried on for the majority of the second half. We adopted it and changed the words to 'Atkinsons Barmy Army'. The rest, is history and the song will be forever one of my favourites.

I was working on Fox Hill Road back then on them stoned built houses with garages underneath on right hand side as you go up.

David Hirst lived in one of them for a while, think it was first one you came too at bottom.

A chap who I think was from club came looking for him one day and looked very very angry, something to do with a woman we heard.  :columbo:

1990-91

SWFC v West Ham Utd

Game finished 1-1 and Hirst scored for us (lovely turn and finish on his right foot).

West Ham sang 'Billy Bonds purple army' throughout half time and carried on for the majority of the second half. We adopted it and changed the words to 'Atkinsons Barmy Army'. The rest, is history and the song will be forever one of my favourites.

That's where I remember it coming from as well, it was claret and blue army though.

It was a West ham chant, wednesday ripped it off and sang wilkinsons (replacing johnny lyalls) blue and white army (replacing claret and blue), where all daft and f*****g barmy, repeatedly, over the next few years few years it evolved into Atkinsons barmy army, My favourite outing of it was the league cup quarter final at Coventry in 91,  it eventually was streamlined into simply barmy army.

Edited by xploreowl