What is the worst decision ever made by a football club

Playing at a ground that another club used years before they were formed, then trying to wipe it from the history books.

Copying the nickname of another club, that used it years before they were formed.

"The Jessica Ennis stand"

Guest Burntwood Owl

Whilst on the subject of good youth teams in South Yorkshire back in the day, a signed Fred the Weatherman photo goes to the person who can tell me which former English champions had a boys team in South Yorkshire.

It was Wath Wanderers, the Wolves youth team, seen as none of you answered.

Worst decision made by a manager of a national team...

With England 2-1 up, Alf Ramsey substitutes Bobby Charlton in quarter-finals of 1970 World Cup. This allows Beckenbauer even more freedom and he runs the game thereafter. West Germany come from 2-1 down to win 3-2 and England blow their last chance of glory for over two decades.

Not only that, the defeat was blamed for Harold Wilson losing the general election to Ted Heath a few days later.

Worst decision made by a manager of a national team...

With England 2-1 up, Alf Ramsey substitutes Bobby Charlton in quarter-finals of 1970 World Cup. This allows Beckenbauer even more freedom and he runs the game thereafter. West Germany come from 2-1 down to win 3-2 and England blow their last chance of glory for over two decades.

Not only that, the defeat was blamed for Harold Wilson losing the general election to Ted Heath a few days later.

i always thought Charlton got taken off at 2-0 up?

Bonetti was in goal too? didnt help.

why what happened with the election in relation to the football, i dont understand?

Edited by GY-owl.4

i always thought Charlton got taken off at 2-0 up?

Bonetti was in goal too? didnt help.

They scored a minute before Charlton went off but it hasn't stopped the myth.

Bonetti was mentally not in a good place.

Despite Ramsey banning WAGS from attending the tournament a well known national rag paid for some of them to go out anyway and stay at the journos hotel. Much to Ramseys disgust. 

He tried to prevent the players from seeing them as it would be unfair on the other players whose wives weren't in attendance.

Back to Bonetti. 

He had been in some turmoil before going to the World Cup about his marriage.

When a group of gigalos was hired by a 'unknown source' to try and honey trap some of the England Wags and when cozy photos from a nightclub (set up or not)  appeared in the Mexican newspapers Bonettis mind was in hyperdrive.

This was just before the Germany game. 

thanx snoots,

you dont know about the political bit then? 

The election was a few days after the World Cup defeat. 

There is a belief in some quarters that the 'gloom factor' swung the election away from Wilson.

Perhaps a bit far fetched. I suspect the inumerable strikes also played a part.

Then again It would seem far fetched that a coup was planned inwhich Wilson would be imrisoned on the QE2 but that still rages on too. 

Edited by Lord Snooty

I knis it should be expected on OWLStalk, but isn't it interesting that a thread about bad decisions made by football clubs is dominated by bad decisions made by OUR football club... Shows how badly we've been run over the years. Onwards and upwards eh?

What it shows is that the majority of people on here don't have any real knowledge of football in general, historically or in the present day .

Letting that shower of poo catering company "serve" refreshments in Hillsborough last season

I'm hoping this is sorted for next season

Wont be coz they are still under a contract so we cant get rid of them, as much as we need to