What is the worst decision ever made by a football club

Guest Distraught!

Leeds only giving Brian Clough 44 days.

(Not a club I know, but the FA never appointing Cloughie in the England job).

Charlton getting rid of Curbishley because he could only achieve mid table mediocrity in the top flight and the odd European qualification.

Chelsea forcing Mourinho out (though that has now been corrected thus proving what a ridiculous thing it was to do in the first place).

Edited by Distraught!

Charlton getting rid of Curbishley because he could only achieve mid table mediocrity in the top flight and the odd European qualification.

Chelsea forcing Mourinho out (though that has now been corrected thus proving what a ridiculous thing it was to do in the first place).

Leeds United not convincing Peter Taylor to come with him. Things could of been totally different.

â€œI'm not equipped to manage successfully without Peter Taylor,†he said. “I am the shop window and he is the goods in the back"

Cloughie arrived at Leeds with no friends but soon made plenty of enemies.

Not sure its the worst, but United sacking Warnock when they were relegated from the prem. At that time they had a squad and a manager capable of returning them straight back to the top flight, along with the Parachute Payments and the money that they had accrued from being in the premier league. I cant really remember them splashing that much cash when they went up.

They had a chance to do a West Brom (go up, go down, go up invest in the team .....stay there).

Wednesday were at on a downward spiral while they were on the crest of a wave. They had the perfect opportunity to capitalise and become the top team in Yorkshire. They were on the verge of greatness but they messed up with massive thanks to.....

Sean Bean.

Great post.  They really were "light years ahead" at this stage and I was seriously worried that they would go on to be an established force, even after they were relegated. They appeared to have McCabes "billions", a plan to redevelop BL and get worldwide exposure just at the right time. Then came the hand of God,  Jags, and even better the sacking of Colin.  They could have gone staright back up if Old Bignose had been kept on. Their one chance to become top dogs in Sheffield and they blew it. God Bless you, Sean bean.

That is the greatest ever story on here.

Was a 6th form v teachers match in about 77 at Abbeydale Grange. Wilko was helping out at the school as his good friend wee pipe Bates ( pretty useful footballer himself with Boston United) was the sports teacher in charge of the footie. At that point in time only Mexborough had a better school team in S. Yorkshire.

Guest Burntwood Owl

Whilst on the subject of good youth teams in South Yorkshire back in the day, a signed Fred the Weatherman photo goes to the person who can tell me which former English champions had a boys team in South Yorkshire.

Guest conisbrough

Wednesday board in final season in Premiership, not having sense to invest to stay up losing some of best players . The next season was when real lucrative years were to start and we were out of Premiership when this began. Our debt would have soon looked miniscule and we had solid base in Premiership. Instead decided to freeze wages and do everything on cheap result absolute catastrophe for all fans. I blame entire board at time.

Guest Distraught!

R.C. Lens giving the time of day to Mammadov might go on to be one of the worst decisions ever (alternatively, in our case, dodging the Mammadov bullet might prove to be one of the best).

The Leeds one was a mistake. Not becasue he should of been given longer, but because he was a bad fit for the club. A good manager in the wrong environment is not a smart appointment.

On the Chelsea on Jose and Pep are similar in their style. Stay 2/3/4 seasons then move on for a fresh challenge. More about motivation then anything else not Chelsea's fault per se

Guest Distraught!

The Leeds one was a mistake. Not becasue he should of been given longer, but because he was a bad fit for the club. A good manager in the wrong environment is not a smart appointment.

On the Chelsea on Jose and Pep are similar in their style. Stay 2/3/4 seasons then move on for a fresh challenge. More about motivation then anything else not Chelsea's fault per se

OK, the first response is purely opinion so I cannot answer that.

The second, as far as I remember, was down to a clash of egos with Abramovich. I could be wrong, but that's how I seem to remember it being reported in the press. What I do remember clearly is Ferguson saying "they're going to regret letting him go". I think that was said out of relief more than anything.

I knis it should be expected on OWLStalk, but isn't it interesting that a thread about bad decisions made by football clubs is dominated by bad decisions made by OUR football club... Shows how badly we've been run over the years. Onwards and upwards eh?